Ever Regretted Selling A Detector?

15 hours ago, Rick Kempf said:

Lots of folks think that the Tesoro Diablo MicroMax is the most desirable Tesoro of all time.

And what Dave Johnson once called (direct quote) "my personal all-time favorite gold machine" (see Fisher's 2013 World Treasure News article "History of Metal Detectors" authored by Dave, found here).  Given that Dave wasn't a detectorist (from what I've read) it probably has a lot to do with the fun he had designing and building it.  But I wonder if his lofty status in the detector world and this quote led to bolstering the sentiment you mention.  (Admittedly the Diablo umax was long out-of-production by the time that article was published, although maybe he said it previously elsewhere.)  Does anyone know more and care to share details about why he liked it so much?

• Like 1

I am not aware of Dave’s saying anything else about the D Micromax. I think he liked it for its elegance. Light, easy to “thumb” the controls, and the dual GB function to knock out hot rocks were probably the main attraction. I found that toggle switch a pain, I would use it to check a hot rock, then forget to return it to the correct position.

I never kept one mostly because I was good at finding them reasonably priced and selling them at a nice profit.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have three regrets.

Regret #1, the one I regret the most was a new toned Tesoro Golden MicroMax.   I had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I rummaged via a phone call at Clevengers and found he had a new in box Golden MicroMax he'd sell me for $400.  So I got it.  It turned out to be a new toned model and at first I was upset and was going to return it, but I kept it for an extra week and it turned out I loved the new tone arrangement.  

Well...eventually I needed some cash for a new buy and try itch and I ended up selling it, the rationale being I'll just buy a used one later and send it in to Tesoro to update to the new tones.   About 6 months later I bought a used old tone Golden uMax and called Tesoro, listened to Rusty tell me how awful the new tone models were and that they had some kind of bug or something...and bottom line they could no longer update to new tone arraignment and I could call his number and he would try to sell me something else.   Pretty much bummed me out.  I ended up leaving the Golden uMax series and going back to the Golden Sabre II, which I still use to this day.

Regret #2 was a brand new V3i.   I had lucked out and got a deal on a pristine V3i and was quite happy with it.  Then one day I got a phone call about a family emergency and didn't have enough cash on hand so I looked to my toys to see what I could sell the fastest for the most and the V3i floated to the top.  I have since replaced it with a used V3 and have vowed to someday get another pristine V3i before I retire but I highly regret selling that one.  

Regret #3 was selling my Rutus Alter 71.   I had bought it used and it was version 1.0.   It was after version 2.0 was out and I didn't play 20 questions to fully understand I was buying an older version.   Lesson learned.   I was little bummed out about that but nonetheless I put some time on the machine and saw it's potential.   I ended up selling this one also to scratch another buy and try itch.

HH 

Mike

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 11:37 AM, The Georgiadigger said:

I sure do!!! I'm probably spelling his name wrong but, Great Britain's Jim Fiveash built custom detector's that was among the first to successfully hunt in the coke, coal, & iron debris of the Thames River shoreline. His last three improved versions of The Red Heat XD 17s. Were sent to America. For myself & two friends. Jim was a brilliant mind, that was dying of cancer while completing our machines. It took Jim a long time to complete our three custom built detectors, they were improved version of his legendary XD-17. Jim died shortly after we received our machines. He never even got a full report of there amazing performance! These machines were way ahead of there time, with great depth, separation, lightening fast retune speed & telescoping rod deployment. I foolishly sold my Red Heat 17+ not truly considering the brilliant cutting edge technology, workmanship & shear artwork that Jim had poured his final days into. Making these machines for 3 American fans of his work. Somewhere in America, there is 3 very extra special Red Heat Detector's!!! I hope they're in good hands & still detecting relics!!! I don't even have a picture of them. RIP Jim!!!

Contemplative post subject!  OK, so my answer is no, I just sold a really nice unit that has been very successful for people all over in other places, but it was not one for the types of gold in the areas I do go.  Lesson learned. 

• 2 months later...

For a while I regretted selling my Fisher F-75 LTD, but it was more for sentimental reasons than performance. I’m very happy with my current lineup. V3i, Nox 800, CTX-3030 and soon to add a Simplex just to have a dedicated single frequency machine to mess around with. Note that even now I won’t look back at the F-75, and I’m choosing to go with a $254 machine over it. 

• Like 2

On 1/23/2021 at 6:23 PM, Tom Slick said:

In 2019 I sold my White's V3i that I had bought new in 2009. It was one of the original "Vision" versions before White's was forced to rename the detector. I sent it in to White's and had it updated to the V3i version and expected them to change the decal but they didn't so it still had Vision on it. After having it for 10 years, I just knew that White's would have to be releasing a "NEW" top of the line detector so I thought I'd sell mine before it was no longer White's  "Top Of The Line". Well we all know what happened next. Wish I had kept it. The V3i with a BigFoot coil is a killer Clad & Jewelry machine. For now, my C & J detector is the DFX with BigFoot. 

Tom,

If you really miss that Vision/V3i, Centreville Electronics has a reconditioned one on their "used" website:

"Vision Upgraded to V3i - Batteries, Headset, Manual, 1 Year Warr. - $800" Has the Vision sticker!!

https://www.centrevilleelectronics.net/used.htm

Can't say that there are ones I've regretted selling, buying is another story :laugh:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GeoBill said:

Tom,

If you really miss that Vision/V3i, Centreville Electronics has a reconditioned one on their "used" website:

"Vision Upgraded to V3i - Batteries, Headset, Manual, 1 Year Warr. - $800" Has the Vision sticker!!

https://www.centrevilleelectronics.net/used.htm

Can't say that there are ones I've regretted selling, buying is another story :laugh:

Wish I'D live closer. That's a good deal for sure. But shipping and import duties will eat up the deal...😪

• Like 1