What Kind Of GPS Unit And Boots Do You Use?

Azavsfan

Really 2 topics here. I am interested in what kind of boots you folks use while detecting. I prefer metal free and currently use a pair of Keens but the sole is already starting to delaminate and they have less than 60 hours out and about. I know they are good about replacing them, or so I have heard, but I would really like something that will hold up reasonably well and won't give me that falsing that can happen when I forget about metal in boots. I ran into a Border Patrol agent who said he uses a boot called Vibram Rocky that has no metal and stands up to the terrain down here in Yuma by Sea (sorry Condor, I can't resist repeating your catch phrase). Comments or new ideas?

2nd question is about a standalone GPS unit that folks use. I have an old Etrex but would like something a little newer and if possible it will accept Google Earth images/KML files so I don't have to try to redo all the points I have saved to my places and the special MRDS and other KML layers I've accumulated.

Any info is appreciated and I know from experience that somebody out there is bound to learn something from these topics besides myself. Thanks in advance.

Boots I use a OZ made "Olivers" leather work boots (no steel cap of course)

Stopped using dedicated GPS units a few years back, now use droid smart phone with Oziexplorer mapping App. No network where I prospect Ozi uses the phones GPS, maps can be scanned in from paper maps or in digital form. The freedom to use maps from varying sources, geo or topo makes this, no proprietary stuff with the limitations that brings.

Those Rocky boots he had were probably the S2V's. They are excellent boots, some of the best I've worn. Not too heavy like Danner's and not cheap, lightweight made in China boots either. "Vibram" is just the brand of the outsole they use on them. Lots of boots have Vibram outsoles. They are not metal-free tho, the eyelets are metal. More than likely he didn't know exactly what you were asking him. If you're just using an SDC I wouldn't worry too much about wearing metal-free boots. I use a GPZ and I wear boots with metal in them. I've never had any problems. You just have to be mindful where you swing. I think it's the guys with GPX's using 20" coils that need to worry about metal-free boots. If you don't need tall, 8" military boots check out Salomon GTX's. They are comfortable and durable ankle-high boots. They're some of the best on the market right now.

As far as GPS's I really like the touchscreen models because they're user friendly and you can navigate the menus on them quickly. I use a Garmin Oregon 650 with a rechargeable battery. I've never uploaded any Google Earth files to it tho so I can't help you there.

I wear boot 360 days a year and this is what I wear now.

No problems with a detector.

https://www.campmor.com/c/asolo-tps-520-gtx-waterproof-backpacking-boot-(for-men)-11489che85m?gclid=CPnRuLe59ckCFROVfgoduHIHIw

Asolo's are also excellent boots. Was going to say they probably have the edge over Salomon's but are a little more expensive too.

Anyone know of a good composite toe, side zip, metal free boot (metal zipper ok) that isn't Bates, 5-11, or Reebok?

I used the Converses for years and then Reebok went and cheesed them all up and I can't wear them anymore. The rest all just fall apart after a few weeks of desert trudging or rock kicking.

my work boots are redback(http://www.redbackboots.com/ )from australia, and skechers or wolverine when hunting or prospectinghttps://www.skechers.com/en-us/all-styles?gender=M&brand=skechers-work and http://www.wolverine.com/US/en/men/

so, the redbacks because I'm on my feet all day and the are comfortable and well made, The skechers  same reason and they come in 4e sizes. wolverines, well I have a pair that are 15 years old and they have held up to some real abuse, and are the best hunting boot I have ever worn.

oh, and I have an oregon 600. barely use it. but will probably use it more next year.

I wear some Keen boots. But have yet to use them detecting. Just got them for my birthday 2 weeks ago. Very comfortable. They seem rugged, will see when I start doing boot scrape's with them. I have a Garmin GPS. I only use it to find a certain location. I do use the GPS on my gpz7000 all the time.

Keen boots, its about all i wear any more i like them and they are really comfortable and they have stayed together with my metal detecting use so far. my gps is a garmin 650t with some extra maps downloaded from garmin, I'm supposed to be able to add digital image overlays, but i haven't tried to do any to this yet and don't know a lot about it.