Prospecting New Areas On Magnetic Island

Don’t know if you have seen these but may be useful on your hunt.

Also  most of the granite areas I have prospected on the east coast are mostly fine gold, panning generally gets better results then detecting.

4312C0E7-9DDE-420C-A726-37B35A24F54C.png

5755BF25-2706-49A3-A183-10BDAB8ED051.png

E66BB10D-2858-4DFF-AB5D-0F330E2F7D3E.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

No worries mate! This is the good oil.. thanks a million.. I like historical reports like this, they're a great help..

Credit to David for putting the info together, Gold and Ghosts vol 4

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trent King said:

Credit to David for putting the info together, Gold and Ghosts vol 4

That green book of Patches' ("DW. de Havelland) was the last one that he published that I know of. It even mention the con\fake mine at Cunningham Gap. All four of his books are well worth a read and they still sit in my book case. 

• Like 1

The location of 'The Dot' mine site is different to the waypoint i've been using.. I did find evidence of mining at the waypoint marking so it's a bit confusing.. will be checking this out today.. i'll come in from the back of these hills so I can also take another look at the 'Butler' mine sites.. those quartz reefs the article talks about are not obvious and so far remain elusive.. 

Eric the locations I gave you are the official ones but they can be wrong due to the source. David did a lots of study of other records to I would check them out if it was me. 

• Like 1

not much luck this morning, only made it as far as unnamed mine no. 827808.. this site is up from 'The Butler'.. I got stopped by the heat and humidity as well as another snake.. am ashamed to say that after i shot a quick video i ran for it.. I swear it was chasing me! will have another go at those hills early tomorrow morning when it's a bit cooler.. I'll also be wearing jeans, gaiters and boots instead of shorts and flip-flops..

The video is of the snake, the first picture is the sort of country i'm searching in and the second picture is at the unnamed mine site.. 

IMG_20210124_094432.jpg

IMG_20210124_090315.jpg

• Like 3

You are braver then me..I hate Snakes! .... and thats snake country if I ever seen it...are these a lethal variety....like you got to make out your will two weeks in advance of being bitten lol

strick

• Like 1

3 hours ago, strick said:

are these a lethal variety

I think it's a rough scaled snake.. no. 22 on the deadliest snake list.. I've also come across the Taipan which is no. 1 on the list.. I also hate snakes, they never fail to scare the crap out of me.. still, up here in the tropics they're all part of the game.. prospecting would be boring without them 😬.. i'm glad i've got a coil swinging in front of me, in the hope that they'll bite it first.. i really hate the death adder, which is extremely well camouflaged and won't budge until you step on it.. my main fear is getting bitten in country far away from help.. i always detect alone being the only prospector on the island.. despite the heat i normally wear jeans and gaiters just in case!   

• Like 2

Most snakes are defensive but try to avoid people. However the ones we have to avoid is the Brown and Tiger Snake it will attack you at certain times mainly the Brown. My kids used to scare people with the legless lizards that mimic the Young Brown Snakes on the Vic gold fields as they could tell the difference and catch them.

• Like 1