Prospecting New Areas On Magnetic Island

I plan to move to Magnetic island in the next year as my misses father lives there. Ive been prospecting and panning here in nsw near lithgow at a place called sunny corner for a while. you should buy a some pans and check down creeks where gold could get trapped by floodwaters ect. Chinaman creek looks interesting. The chinese were very good at getting gold and there are few creeks similar named around nsw with good gold. When I know my solid plans i'll message you on here and we should use our knowledge and have a crack finding some gold, i dont excpect much there but its fun prospecting anyway. I need to research more about the gold around townsville, but i have about a year before I'll be there. 

1 hour ago, CalWhit said:

plan to move to Magnetic island in the next year as my misses father lives there

Good man! I'll finally have a partner in crime.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Erik Oostra said:

I'll finally have a partner in crime.. 

Would that crime be throwing him in front of the snakes so you don't get bitten?

Stay safe and I also am scared of snakes even the non poisonous ones. I just don't like them.

• Haha 2

This gives me more of a reason to visit. I did see on the Trylobite app the abandoned mines there but wasn’t sure how to go about getting permission to prospect there. I also have an uncle living on Magnetic Island.

• Like 2

Very true AussieMatt, you cant in national parks in QLD and will need a fossicking permit i am lead to believe, I love the land and im very respectful of it. I plan on merely looking down the bottom of the creeks near the ocean, bit of scratching around/crevicing to see if there is anything. Not only that though its a good way to explore new places looking for gold 🙂

Im not scared of snakes but saying that I havn't had to deal with many venomous ones on a regular basis. I have a 2.2m Darwin python, just slightly nervous about standing on a death adder, that wouldn't be fun lol.

• Like 3

Yes in Qld you need a Fossicking Licence to prospect/fossick anywhere:

https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/activities/areas-facilities/fossicking/licences-permits/purchase

It still doesn't allow the holder to prospect/fossick in Qld National Parks which are generally mostly off limits in all Australian states i.e. Victoria has about 12 allowable NP areas & NSW has just 2. Don't know of any other states that have NP areas at all?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CalWhit said:

you cant in national parks in QLD and will need a fossicking permit

1 hour ago, AussieMatt said:

It still doesn't allow the holder to prospect/fossick in Qld National Parks which are generally mostly off limits

I'm poaching! 

• Haha 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked