Prospecting New Areas On Magnetic Island

1 minute ago, geek4gold said:

Your biggest mistake was publicly telling what you were doing in a National Park

Spot on G4G! As i've mentioned to other members of this forum i got too carried away with the geology and history of that old gold digging and didn't think about anything else.. I practically live in a national park (most of the island is national park) and i guess i took it all too much for granted.. I know none of this is any excuse but on that occasion i really didn't think about the national park angle when searching for the yellow stuff.. more fool me! i'm just a bit disappointed that someone chose to go about it this way rather than having a chat to me about it first.. they've also landed my ranger mates in a world of shit.. just hope they're happy with achieving what they set out to do.. it's not my way, but whatever floats their boat.. 

It does not need to be a member to read this forum or most others. A small minority of "Greens" do check gold, shooting and hunting forums so they can stir up trouble with any other group that may enjoy OUR national parks and state forests.   ☹️

• Like 4

2 hours ago, geof_junk said:

It does not need to be a member to read this forum or most others. A small minority of "Greens" do check gold, shooting and hunting forums so they can stir up trouble with any other group that may enjoy OUR national parks and state forests.   ☹️

As you’d know, we’re in the fight of our lives right now to keep what we’ve got. I can’t say to much but fingers crossed it’s on the improve.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, geek4gold said:

It would have to be one of your green eyed Aussie brothers none the less. From what I can gather tall poppy syndrome is very alive & well active in your country.

My definition of tall poppy syndrome from many years of observation as an OZ "tis mostly paranoia of those who consider themselves tall poppies" my observation is it exists in all human societies. I doubt anyone "dobbed" Erik in he did that himself but he is not the lone ranger most of us do similar naïve things as we "learn the ropes". I know I did many moons back. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

Spot on G4G! As i've mentioned to other members of this forum i got too carried away with the geology and history of that old gold digging and didn't think about anything else.. I practically live in a national park (most of the island is national park) and i guess i took it all too much for granted.. I know none of this is any excuse but on that occasion i really didn't think about the national park angle when searching for the yellow stuff.. more fool me! i'm just a bit disappointed that someone chose to go about it this way rather than having a chat to me about it first.. they've also landed my ranger mates in a world of shit.. just hope they're happy with achieving what they set out to do.. it's not my way, but whatever floats their boat.. 

That is a shame Erik. A hard way to learn a lesson about keeping certain things to yourself. I feel for you. I know the thrill & enjoyment of your adventures & discoveries & I really enjoyed your journey as it unfolded, as have many others, but it is true that Greenies & the fun police do graze these type forums looking for ammo against us type. It may not necessarily be a forum member that daubed you in but I do know there are some vindictive mongrels out there that are only too happy to drag you down & cause you grief.

Chin up mate.

G4G   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Norvic said:

My definition of tall poppy syndrome from many years of observation as an OZ "tis mostly paranoia of those who consider themselves tall poppies" my observation is it exists in all human societies. I doubt anyone "dobbed" Erik in he did that himself but he is not the lone ranger most of us do similar naïve things as we "learn the ropes". I know I did many moons back. 

Hi Norvic. Yes, life is full of learning curves. Some times we have to learn the hard way. We have all been there I am sure. 

G4G 

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I’m disappointed that forum members were trying to warn you, and when caught.... you want to make this out to be about forum members turning you in?

Steve, I took the warnings very seriously and I haven't been up in the hills since then.. I tried to explain that I'd gotten carried away with the geology and history of the old gold diggings without thinking about where they were located.. I know that this is no excuse and that I only have myself to blame for sharing my findings in public.. Nonetheless, it was a huge shock to get a knock on the door from the Department of Land and Environment officers two months later.. I did not think about that it could have been 'greenies' monitoring this forum to cause grief, I jumped to the wrong conclusion as the officers showed me the print outs of my posts as evidence against me.. It's not my intention to make this out to be about forum members turning me in, I know it's all my fault for doing the wrong thing.. Now I'll have to face the consequences of my actions (as do my ranger friends).. 

• Like 5

A forum member on Prospecting Australia posted this a few weeks back. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-08/bushwalker-faces-fine-over-queensland-crystal-find/13129054

The crystal had been posted on a bushwalking social media site. They certainly look to be getting serious about anything like this (maybe a bit too serious)!

• Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1