South Of France Minelab Underwater

Big difference between him and me. I am good at breath hold, so when I get a target, I drop to the bottom and fan with my hand to blast it out. Wearing fins while detecting - no thanks. I’ve tried using scoops in deep water, but that’s just another thing to drag around, so the drop and fan thing suits me for snorkel work.

I use a standard diving mesh goodie bag with closing top, usually hang it off the armrest of my detector.  I’m very stylish. Here is my setup for snorkel work. There is surf here so a little weight helps keep me on button when I drop and fan. The knee protection is for coral bottom, Walmart knee braces.

Always use care and know your limits. I’ve worked in some serious surf, but I am a certified scuba instructor. Still, getting older now, I’m not going to tackle stuff that I might have gone after when the photo was taken. Be careful, have fun, find jewelry!

https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-mining-journal/beach-detecting-hawaii-garrett-atx/

herschbach-whites-surf-pi-pro-kauai.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I’m very stylish.

I'll take your word for it, but just one question.  Why did you post a picture of your son?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Big difference between him and me. I am good at breath hold, so when I get a target, I drop to the bottom and fan with my hand to blast it out. Wearing fins while detecting - no thanks. I’ve tried using scoops in deep water, but that’s just another thing to drag around, so the drop and fan thing suits me for snorkel work.

I use a standard diving mesh goodie bag with closing top, usually hang it off the armrest of my detector.  I’m very stylish. Here is my setup for snorkel work. At here is Surf here so a little weight helps keep me on button when I drop and fan. The knee protection is for coral bottom, Walmart knee braces.

Always use care and know your limits. I’ve worked in some serious surf, but I am a certified scuba instructor. Still, getting older now, I’m not going to tackle stuff that I might have gone after when the photo was taken. Be carful, have fun, find jewelry!

https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-mining-journal/beach-detecting-hawaii-garrett-atx/

herschbach-whites-surf-pi-pro-kauai.jpg

Thanks for posting that picture Steve. I just ordered waterproof headphones for my Equinox and will also get a mesh bag. Picked up some weight (4 pounds which was not enough to stay down diving without a wetsuit) and used the Nemo system for checking out the underwater creatures at a local dive spot. Thinking about using the Nemo system for detecting next trip also.

When beach hunting at Thanksgiving, I hit a beach with no surf that's less than 4 feet deep for quite a ways out and lots of family activity. Just off the water line I detected and used my sand scoop and glad I did because most of the targets seemed to be really deep. Found several dollars in change but no jewelry.

At Christmas I hit a beach with surf and snorkelers and found the silver chain and ring. Maybe that would be better suited for the type of hunting using fanning since the surf moves the sand around. Hundreds of people going in and out of the water all day every day.

I recall a post from you quite some time ago that you prefer to work in chest deep water? That was a great post about your trip to Hawaii and you found quite a few rings.

The sweet zone is from water s edge out to around chest deep, and kind of fades going farther out, but anywhere you see people in the water is good. Take an hour one day and just watch. Where do people congregate, what are they doing? Standing in water talking? No good. Boogie boards, tossing things, body surfing... the more activity and the more concentrated the better.

But these days, those places get hit hard. So now it's maybe the odder spots that pay better. You never know until you jump in and try. Good luck!

• Like 3