GPX 6000 - How Do Others Compete?

On 1/25/2021 at 7:32 AM, afreakofnature said:

It actually saves you a bunch of money to not have to buy a bunch of coils for a machine you already own 😂.

Especially with the inflated coil prices these days; the same amount of money that buys a 14”x9” NF Evo used to get you a Coiltek 27”x21” Bonzer. I was delighted when the GPZ 7000 was released because the stock coil found gold of all sizes at depth, eliminating the need for a coil arsenal; the only exception being the lack of a small coil for tight spots and heavy scrub, which appears is also going to be the same deficiency on the upcoming GPX 6000, with the 11” round mono coil being the smallest offering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The 11 in will reach SDC applications,especially it being a mono and  the 14/17 will be more GPZ type applications. So you got it all. Not sure what else you would need.

Agreed GC, I'm just saying that it would be nice to have an optional 8” or 6” elliptical for the really tight spots.

But getting back on topic, IMO Minelab are so far ahead of the other detector manufacturers in technology and production, that I don't see how they can have any real competition with the GPX 6000.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I honestly if I were a shareholder would be quite happy. But as a end user and a businessman, I'd say the minute they have excess cash flow they are looking to use - set up that separate Minelab coil division with dedicated people that do for coils what they do for detectors. Which is generally to wipe out the competition over time.

Aren't they doing that already without a coil division?  Coiltek and NF appear (from my vantage point) to have thrived or at least survived with a business model that makes coils almost exclusively for Minelab detectors.  Minelab has thrown NF a bone with the new GPZ coil.  I've seen rumors here that Coiltek has some in the works, too.  But think how much Coiltek (and the Eastern European companies) could have added to their bottom lines if allowed to (flipside: have suffered not being able to) make Equinox coils.

Without competion ML can do pretty much whatever they want (within the laws) and I think your speculation is spot on that their only concern is maximizing profits.  (Hope I didn't put words in your mouth....)  We consumers have the choice of riding the bus (with fares of their choosing) or walking.

We can hope that ML is at least an enlightened monopoly, but that seems optimistic based upon what we've seen.  I don't know if it's even realistic to think that there once was a time when multiple detector companies duked it out by producing innovative products that they had to carefully price to attract the consumers' money.  Sure doesn't seem that way today....  :sad:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Porter said:

you will see the 6000 seems particularly good on the smaller more plentiful gold and that it seems to be walking the park with the SDC2300 which we all know is a dynamite small gold sniffer.

The 'Star Chart' which shows the 6000 is 3 X better on small gold than an SDC and 1 star better than a number of other detectors on gold across a range of sizes - this is the exact reason that I am pulling the trigger on a 6000. 

My only unknown (and great hope) is that for the most part the 6000 has the extreme ground/rock handling abilities the SDC has.   Geo-Sense?  Well, let's hope I've got some Good-Sense in thinking that this little marketing catch phrase has something to do with that.