GPX 6000 - How Do Others Compete?

I wonder what the fate of the 5000 will be once the 6000 is released. Hard to imagine what advantages the 5000 still would have to offer, other than coil options which granted could be a biggie, or the complex settings options that some may still like. For the GM, SDC, 6000 and 7000 there appears to be a sound rationale for mutual existence.

That’s the million-dollar question,

The 5000’s ruggedness, coils and price point maybe?

My QED sent my SDC into retirement it was sold, it also relegated my 5000 to my backup machine.

The 5000 has some discrimination with the DD coil - we have been verbally told by Minelab US Rep that the DD coil on the 6000 does not and is only intended for high EMI environments. So in  a high junk gold field the 5000 may still be the weapon of choice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gold Catcher said:

I wonder what the fate of the 5000 will be once the 6000 is released. Hard to imagine what advantages the 5000 still would have to offer, other than coil options which granted could be a biggie, or the complex settings options that some may still like. For the GM, SDC, 6000 and 7000 there appears to be a sound rationale for mutual existence.

I have to differ with you on the sdc point. If the graph is correct and that is a big if, it will kill the sdc. The 6k appears all based of limited info, that it will compress very small as well. So you have a fine gold finder and backpacking size. These facts might kill the sdc.

Anyone got a good guess what the heck those extra 6 or so pins go to in the coil connector?

I was hoping one of the engineers or coil builders woulda chimed in with something by now, because I have no ideas. It's gotta be related to this Geosense though.

I thought it might be a DOD at first, but does that even make sense on a PI? If not, there are actually more than 6 extra pins. Or this machine is more GPZ-like than the GPX moniker lets on? So something very different and new is happening in that coil.

1 minute ago, jasong said:

So something very different and new is happening in that coil.

I believe the extra pins are related to the 14DD coil control options via push button. I might be wrong.

17 minutes ago, DigsAlot said:

I have to differ with you on the sdc point. If the graph is correct and that is a big if, it will kill the sdc.

This will remain to be seen. The 8 in coil, combined with being water proof and newspaper size collapsing still are unique features for the SDC. I also believe that MPF and Geo-PI could have different application potentials. For small washes with shallow gold and highly mineralized soil the SDC is just an incredible machine. The 11 inch coil of 6000  is significantly bigger and will not reach where the 8 inch can squeeze in.  But since I will be owning both detectors I will see myself. Perhaps I change my mind then (although I doubt it). Something tells me I will be loving both.   🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob Allison said:

P.S.  Try not to beat us to all the old nugget patches out there! 

Sorry, can’t make any promises! 🤗

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, DigsAlot said:

I have to differ with you on the sdc point. If the graph is correct and that is a big if, it will kill the sdc. The 6k appears all based of limited info, that it will compress very small as well. So you have a fine gold finder and backpacking size. These facts might kill the sdc.

If they were all the same price it might hurt, though even then the SDC is more compact folded up and waterproof. Add the price difference that appears to be brewing.... I'm not worried about the SDC. They just upgraded it and why do that if you are just going to can it?

• Like 5