GPX 6000 - How Do Others Compete?

Beautiful gold, Dan! 1/10th of that would be a good day for me with the SDC 🙂

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

There’s a likely looking spot, ping a nugget.🥴 Over and over again!!🤭 

I like my nuggets like my girls, being a bit of a challenge and playing hard to get. 😜🤣

Interesting out of focus somethingorother in the b.g. too...

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Dan Smith said:

Hi JP water warn flakes like that are the bread and butter for me in my area of the New England with the sdc. If I am digging  that size with an sdc what advantage could you see from upgrading to a 6000. Is there any reason hypothetically that you could not find that flake with an sdc due to ground conditions?

Think depth. 😉😇

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Dan Smith said:

Hopefully this geosense can smooth out some of the noisy ground in my area as I find it hard to work the sdc any higher than  sensitivity 2.

Yes, 2 is usually my to go settings as well, on occasion 3. But the threshold is generally very chirpy above 3. On the 6000 the 14DD is supposed to have a superior ground (-or EMI) cancelling ability, but it will be interesting to compare the 11 in mono on the 6000 with the 8 in mono on the SDC with respect to threshold stability/sensitivity. It takes a while to get used to the SDC threshold.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

It takes a while to get used to the SDC threshold.

Not wrong. In the little bit I’ve used the SDC, the threshold near drove me insane. It sounded like a very angry pack of mosquitoes.

8 hours ago, Dan Smith said:

Hopefully this geosense can smooth out some of the noisy ground in my area as I find it hard to work the sdc any higher than  sensitivity 2. 

I am cranking it right at 4.  5 for me and it becomes too wobbly.

• Like 1

The challenge of building a metal detector is optimizing signal to noise. The signal is usually improved by more power and different frequencies to “light up” the gold. Noise reduction is achieved through building “quiet” electronics so no noise is introduced into the system and managing the background noise. Minelab has been granted a patent for “modeling the ground”. The patent covers all possible mathematical algorithms  including several examples given in the patent. This is a clever way of prohibiting competitors from integrating the ground signals into a map of the ground and subtracting out this noise to improve S/N. Minelab will dominate noise reduction through software. Minelab has clearly left the competition in the tailings pile. 

• Like 6