GPX 6000 - How Do Others Compete?

25 minutes ago, Randy Lunn said:

The challenge of building a metal detector is optimizing signal to noise. The signal is usually improved by more power and different frequencies to “light up” the gold. Noise reduction is achieved through building “quiet” electronics so no noise is introduced into the system and managing the background noise. Minelab has been granted a patent for “modeling the ground”. The patent covers all possible mathematical algorithms  including several examples given in the patent. This is a clever way of prohibiting competitors from integrating the ground signals into a map of the ground and subtracting out this noise to improve S/N. Minelab will dominate noise reduction through software. Minelab has clearly left the competition in the tailings pile. 

And from what it appears, ML created some really interesting new coils too, exemplified with the 6000 and more probably to come. Who knows, perhaps they start engaging more in coil innovation going forward with the new 14DD being something really unique, to just name a recent example. I have no doubt they could be market leaders in that segment too, considering their expertise, resourcing and ability for mass production. I think Steve talked about that earlier already.  🙂

• Like 1

hey North East do you know how to post a facebook clip on here ? cant work it out , some bendigo seekers gold , can messenger the clip to ya .

21 minutes ago, mungass said:

know how to post a facebook clip on here

I'm certainly not the person to ask  🤣  I thought all video clips had to first be on Youtube and then linked to here?   But really I have no idea. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, PhaseTech said:

How do others compete? If you mean other brands, well I'm still waiting for any other company to beat even a GP extreme for depth in mineralised ground. Ah, maybe make it a bit easier. How about the tired old SD2100. That should be an easier challenge. 5 gram nugget in mineralised ground, 14 or 15" round mono coil on the SD2100. Can any other non-Minelab detector match it?? Surely another company has been able to match a machine that came out in 1996!?? I highly doubt it.... but there's the challenge. Could be a very interesting experiment. 

So a QED can't match a 2100?  I don't know I don't own one but I thought I read that a QED could match a 5000.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhaseTech said:

How do others compete? If you mean other brands, well I'm still waiting for any other company to beat even a GP extreme for depth in mineralised ground. Ah, maybe make it a bit easier. How about the tired old SD2100. That should be an easier challenge. 5 gram nugget in mineralised ground, 14 or 15" round mono coil on the SD2100. Can any other non-Minelab detector match it?? Surely another company has been able to match a machine that came out in 1996!?? I highly doubt it.... but there's the challenge. Could be a very interesting experiment. 

You got that right Nenad, spot on. I discuss that at length here. Even have my own rough scale for reference.

Looks like the GPX is going to satisfy half my challenge, but price, not so much. Won’t know though until we know what the spare coil and spare power pack are worth, but that could be inflating the price by a cool grand. I have no idea but in general Minelab accessory prices go hand in hand with the machine price.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PhaseTech said:

A very objective challenge... all depends on target size, coil size and ground conditions. Ive had a Whites TDI beat my 4500 on a multi-gram target (lead) in heavily mineralised ground by a decent margin. The ATX I briefly owned, detected numerous small bits of gold in a patch I heavily gridded. The QED did the same, on the same spot. Overall though, on most targets, in most conditions, Minelab products have the edge for sure. Their dominance in the PI prospecting detector market has been protected by clever and wise patents and feverishly improved by a well funded R&D dept. Dual channel (MPS) tech along with their Ground Tracking tech etc etc has kept the competition at arms length who seem to be unable or unwilling to spend the necessary $$ to actually innovate and keep up with Minelab in this section of the marketplace. No sign of that changing anytime soon.

• Like 2