GPX 6000 - How Do Others Compete?

10 hours ago, Swegin said:

So a QED can't match a 2100?  I don't know I don't own one but I thought I read that a QED could match a 5000.  

On small gold (once you fiddle with all the relevant settings), the QED has the potential to beat a 5000 in most ground types. On larger targets, the same applies....almost (in my experience). But NOT simultaneously because the QED is a single channel PI whereas the 5000 can do it all...at the same time. The QED is super lightweight, cheap and reliable. But damn fiddly and lacks any useful form of tracking. It only has a auto ground sampling system that can struggle to keep up in some conditions. I sold mine and paid for the mods on my 4500. 4 ounces later and I do not regret it whatsoever. Best detector Ive ever owned and I will be using it to test against the 6000 when one becomes avail for loan.

• Like 3

On 1/29/2021 at 3:01 AM, PhaseTech said:

How do others compete?  How about the tired old SD2100.  Can any other non-Minelab detector match it?? Surely another company has been able to match a machine that came out in 1996!?? I highly doubt it.... but there's the challenge. Could be a very interesting experiment. 

PhaseTech,  In the 20+ yrs I have been selling/comparing/using Minelabs and all other major brands I can get my hands on in the US, your challenge still stands.  

I'll take the 25 yr old technology SD-2100 over all the other gold detectors from other brands in the US.  Yes for raw power and depth, it outperforms the White's, Fishers and Garretts.

People say other brands have been trying to beat Minelab PI's and I think they need to change their tune a little.  Heck, the other brands can't beat them...they can't even keep up with them.

Just think how much money we could save if Garrett, Fisher and White's were to have had detectors just as good.  The TDI is a fine machine for the price, as is the ATX, but they are not Minelab Depths.

A few years back some knucklehead in the US did a video of the ATX vs GPX-5000.  Boy he sold a shitload of ATX's and made some money, but when some of them folks took our 3 days Field Training at Rye Patch, NV and when we did side by side comparisons on undug signals, there were some upset Garrett owners.  Even to this day, I get folks who want an ATX just because of that video.  Now, was the guy lying?  No, but he was not telling the truth of a variety of gold and in different soils.

What's funny, I was one of the testers in US of the ATX and tested it in salt water beaches of Cancun, also up at Lake Tahoe and also tested it for gold nuggets in NV.  I'd rather they promote it as a great saltwater detector and good PI for the price.  It does have some nice features for nuggets vs $$$, but they never improved on it and I won't carry that log around anymore.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I'd rather they promote it as a great saltwater detector and good PI for the price.  It does have some nice features for nuggets vs $$$, but they never improved on it and I won't carry that log around anymore.

I found way more jewelry with my ATX than nuggets. I found nuggets just to show it can do it, but otherwise it was a saltwater machine for me. Even the beach hunters have peeled away though due to problems with locking shafts and cable deterioration. Like the SDC 2300 it was designed as a military mine detector housing, not being in saltwater all day. But I did like my ATX a lot for that use.

Over hyping machines is counterproductive. I’ve fought it all my life. I have also discovered that no matter what you say, people “self hype.” Everyone sees what they want to see, and people are desperate for magic. No matter how often you explain physics, people expect detectors to break the laws of physics.

Merely posting about a detector is now called “hype.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

Was the cable deterioration because of the salt water  or did it  deteriorate in freshwater too  on the ATX ?       

Mine deteriorated in fresh water (never saw ocean). I think it was the fiberglass resin somehow chemically attacking the PVC outer jacket on the coiled cable. But that is just my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2021 at 5:45 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

You got that right Nenad, spot on. I discuss that at length here. Even have my own rough scale for reference.

Yes, that was a good thread. Lots of good points made.

22 hours ago, mungass said:

What mods were done to the 45 ?

Multi-position frequency mod and Tx gain mod. A solid swinger handle and Rodworthy EM shield. Totally transformed the 4500 into a quiet deep seeking machine for both sub-grammers and multi-grammers at depth. Just gotta rotate the frequency control, change the coil to suit (9" Elite at the high end, 14" Elite or bigger at the low end) and adjust the Tx gain to match the ground conditions...plus lower the Rx gain to suit ground and EMI noise conditions. Select either Enhance or sensitive smooth (mostly) as the relevant timing, also depending on the hot rock situation or ground noise. I'm mainly chasing sub grammers on old spots and Ive found that it doesn't quite match the SDC for sheer sensitivity but detects solid bits deeper than the SDC. On several occasions, Ive found half grammers at a foot depth. Crazy I know....

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

First time I’ve seen comparative market numbers.

Edited Transcript of CDA.AX earnings conference call or presentation 18-Feb-21 12:01am GMT

”The star of the show again has been Minelab. Minelab has shown exceptional growth.”

”...we spend a significant amount of money each year developing new products to develop unique and protectable IP. That strategy has been absolutely sensational for us over the last 3 or 4 years and I think, marked by the performance in Minelab. Minelab, if we go back 3 years ago, was really heavily dependent on gold with 1 product into 3 African markets. Today, we have a product lineup that is much, much more significant. So we have 3 major gold platforms selling into dozens of countries in Africa and around the world. With respect to our consumer business, I think I've been quoted previously as saying that the consumer business over time, we think, has the potential to overtake our gold business. And you can see some signs of that happening already. If you go back 3 years, we were doing about between $2 million and $3 million a month in consumer. By making the massive investment that we've made over the last 3 to 5 years, we now have world-leading products at every price category in the consumer market. And our consumer business is now a circa $8 million to $10 million a month business. So significant growth in the last 3 years, which has really helped offset some of the perceived risks that the market had around gold. So we have a much, much more balanced portfolio and we're seeing the benefits of that now in a much, much more stable and growing Metal Detection business.”

“The GPZ -- GPX 6000, rather, is a brand-new product that will be revolutionary, we believe, in high-end gold detecting. It's a product that's been purpose-built for the African market. It's plug and play. It's simple to use, lightweight, collapsible, waterproof and at a price point that sits below the GPZ but is still very attractive for us. We will launch that product -- we have launched that product, that we will see meaningful volume come through in Q4.”

“We continue to invest at record levels in our business. We've got more engineers than ever before. Some of the slight reduction in dollar value of spend in this half was really just due to the timing of our projects and not having as much external cost in our business over the half year. But still investing at very strong levels and have quite a strong pipeline of projects about to come to the market like the GPX 6000 that's Donald mentioned.”

”Look, just firstly, on metal detection. You mentioned during the call that recreational is now an $8 million to $10 million a month business for you. But roughly what sort of global market share do you think that now implies for Codan in recreational? And has there been any competitive responses worth noting over the last sort of 6 to 12 months since you launched products such as the VANQUISH?

Good question, Ronan. I think we -- I think in the last call, we spent some time trying to educate the market that we weren't the biggest in the consumer space at that time. I think, Garrett, we believe, were bigger than us. They had a bigger share, particularly in America. I think we are fast-changing that market share dynamic. So at $12 million for last month, we know that we'd be #1 in the market now and we would have the biggest share. But that still wouldn't give us what I would call a monopolistic position. It's certainly not as strong as our gold position, which we estimate at between 80% and 90% share. We're probably moving towards closer to 50%. So we're probably coming up from 35% to 50% would be the latest information we have. The objective is to try and keep play into some of our competitors with some of the new product releases that we have coming and try and get up towards the 60%, 70% as time goes on over the next couple of years. I think it's been difficult for people to respond. I think we saw Garrett come out with a product to respond to the VANQUISH and they quickly almost withdrawn it from the market to rehash it because it just hasn't been successful. So people are now panicking. I think they're trying to do things with their products that the architecture of the design just won't allow. So we've taken comparative products in-house. We've looked at their intents at multifrequency, and quite frankly, the physics don't stack up. So they would have to go and completely reengineer their platforms in order to compete with products like EQUINOX and VANQUISH, which we don't expect them to be able to do. So we've kind of got them on the run.”

• Like 8
  • Oh my! 1