GPX 6000 - How Do Others Compete?

21 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Partial quote   ---   " I honestly if I were a shareholder would be quite happy. But as a end user and a businessman, I'd say the minute they have excess cash flow they are looking to use - set up that separate Minelab coil division with dedicated people that do for coils what they do for detectors. Which is generally to wipe out the competition over time."

So if they ever did that...... what would stop them from making coils to fit every other manufacturer's detectors??? That would be a bold kick in the pants to everyone 😲...😄

Putting in a vote for in-the-field comparisons and experience with the machine.
Everything else, including advertising, seems to be almost pointless.

Can't think of better advertising than the testers being allowed to speak of their findings. 

• Like 4

Can you imagine how infuriating prospecting would be if a detector was more sensitive to small(er) gold than a GM 1000?  Would it be worth digging all those individual fruit fly sized turds up, especially the deep ones? 😉

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Can you imagine how infuriating prospecting would be if a detector was more sensitive to small(er) gold than a GM 1000?  Would it be worth digging all those individual fruit fly sized turds up, especially the deep ones? 😉

The Equinox 800 with a 6” coil in the Gold Modes on bad ground is already more sensitive to small gold than the GM 1000................

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The Equinox 800 with a 6” coil in the Gold Modes on bad ground is already more sensitive to small gold than the GM 1000................

Didn’t know that, it’s another plus for that detector. But it goes along with my point, how much more sensitive to smaller gold does one want to go? Cost versus performance is starting to get closer on a lot of these machines.

Once again just looking at the information that is available and not tapping into anything I actually know, MPF is very sensitive to small gold correct? The SDC does a pretty good job at finding tiny gold compared to any other PI like detector with timings (timings dictate the target sensitivity relative to ground signal, the shorter the delay from ‘on time’ to ‘off time’ the better the sensitivity but also the harder it is to get to work without introducing too much ground signal and electronic noise). 

The SDC has very narrow band width timings so ignores a lot of nasty ground signals but the trade off is depth, so in a quiet ground environment its performance signs off quite quickly because of the narrow band width timings. 

The GPZ has good sensitivity for a number of reasons,

• Less ground signal, saturation signal and the BIGGY less EMI 
  • The balanced DOD coils provide a buffer of sorts due to the null (irons out ground signals)
  • The two receive windings on a DOD coil are quite small relative to the Tx so there is inherent sensitivity available there.

However the delay of the GPZ even in HY Gold mode is always going to limit its ability to generate a signal response on the Fast time constant targets, the signature from those is long gone. You will notice though that there have been examples on the forum of pretty good sensitivity of the GPZ on tiny gold, however you should also have noticed in just about all instances the pieces of gold are solid and quite smooth. The GPZ does not really respond to the actual weight of the target but more the resultant field the target creates, as such the GPZ generates a very good signature on solid tiny little pieces that are well rounded by stream action, that’s because their signal is enduring enough to survive the delay process relative to ground mineralisation. 

JP

• Like 6

Following on to a previous thread, I don't think for the 0.05g size the GPZ and SDC should only get 1 star and the monster 4. This sort of general verdict is just not accurate and I have no idea why ML is putting this out. The SDC and in particular the GPZ can be super sensitive for the small gold and both can by far outperform the monster in particular in mineralized soil. I think these ratings are merely describing intended application potential rather than real machine comparisons.

49 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

I don't think depth will come into it but I could be wrong. I have been before:rolleyes:. I don't generally go out of my way to detect the fly Sh#t size gold but when I do it is just for a bit of fun & any gold is better than no gold...right? I have both the GM 1000 & the Nox 800 & have a few spots on bedrock that have this size gold trapped up in it. Scrape & detect type stuff bringing more to light. The gold does have to be very close & even touching the coil but the Nox 800 gets my vote for getting the tiniest of bits. Even way down in the negative numbers. Sometimes there is no reading at all but just a very slight crackle in the audio.

I know a few folk, new to detecting, that couldn't get their heads around the nox. Sold it & got a GM 1000 & due to it simplicity of use love it.

G4G

• Like 1