I Touched The GPX 6000

Condor

11 minutes ago, Condor said:

Re: the DD coil.  Apparently this DD design cannot be compared to our old understanding of GPX DD coils.  No discrimination at all and separate settings for either EMI or Salt/mineralized ground.  She emphasized there is no comparison to DD coils of old.

It sure sounds like that coil design and coil technology is intimately linked to the detector's performance. Hard to imagine that after market options for coils still will play any role or are intended. The 5000 might be last of it's kind with respect to coil options, and perhaps therefore still remaining in the ML fleet for those who care.

The coils were very light and when you take the skid shield off you see why a hollowed out bottom from the top it looks solid but from the underside it is that way only where the windings are and the leads to the cable

they were not allowing any photos i tried

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Condor said:

We only used the external speaker, the audio was very good, I quit on GPX's at the 4000 never used the 5000.  The 4000 was always a little anemic, I generally used an amplifier to boost it up.   

Condor, sorry for peppering you with additonal questions.  Did you notice whether there was  a threshold tone?  There doesn't seem to be a control for threshold from what we have been able to discern.  And did you notice whether the machine was in auto sensitivity (11/12) or manual?  Thx.

Was the 'rep' Debbie?

Threshold tone was pretty smooth after switching to the EMI setting and tuning.  Especially smooth considering the overall EMI atmosphere.  I doubt the 7000 could be quieted down in that setting.

Yes, Debbie was the Minelab rep.  We did score some new red colored Minelab hats in the deal.  Also bought a couple of Doc's plastic scoops with the riffle bottoms.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

When you know Debbie she lets you know in subtle ways what she can about the new products coming up.  They do not keep her out of the loop. 

She confirmed rumors for me months ago (last spring) that I heard here.

21 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

When you know Debbie she lets you know in subtle ways what she can about the new products coming up.  They do not keep her out of the loop. 

She confirmed rumors for me months ago (last spring) that I heard here.

That's funny, I guess I don't have the secret handshake and knowing wink down, because I asked her how the GPX 6000 was coming along in November and she said, "What's a GPX 6000?  Never heard of that..."  It wasn't coy.  It was almost a straight up denial.  I gladly took my red Minelab hat and gaiter and moved on.  Didn't feel like pressing the issue by delving into the minutia of patent filings, trademark applications, FCC certifications, and CODAN annual reports and such which made it pretty much an open secret at that point in time.  Surely, if these were in the public domain, I am sure she was plugged in.  Even though I chat with her once or twice a year, I guess she pegged me for yet another relic digging yahoo who would not be aware of such things and politely went about her business.  Funny because it is a place where you have 400 people not digging nuggets, 80% of whom (including me) are swinging GPX's.  Perhaps she already knew it was not a relic machine and didn't want to create a stir. :rolleyes:

Sometimes it seems ML is almost trying NOT to generate market excitement in advance of sales.  :tongue:

• Like 2