GPX 5000 - Newbie Questions

amitchla

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking and reading a while, and ended up purchasing a well-used GPX 5000 recently. After taking it out a few times, I have a question that feeds into a few other questions.

Is the detector supposed to react very loudly if it's tapped/bumped against bushes, rocks, etc? My assumption is "no," but I wanted to make sure I wasn't just experiencing something that's normal. 

By "react," I mean it beeps as if I've swung over something HUGE and metallic.

Assuming this is not normal - what are likely causes?

1. I've used two different coils with the same result.

2. I have the coil wire wrapped pretty tightly and secured with velcro wraps.

Could the problem be a loose/faulting coil connector into the control box?

Thanks for the help, and looking forward to learning more!

Hi! 

Mine reacts similarly for sure, but it's something to get used to. When you approach vegetation, proceed at a very patient pace compared to however you detect in the open. Some noise is sure to happen if you're careless even in the slightest when bumping and scraping across sticks and rocks. Also, be aware of bumping the cable near the control box with your leg as you swing and fatigue builds.

However, be assured that your detector will react appropriately if you happen to swing it over detectable gold in the midst of a hail of sticks. Just look for those repeatable loud tones that make you swing twice, three times, and as many more times you want to swing over it until you dig it up!

Unless of course, despite all the adjusting of settings, all the care in the world and a tightly plugged coil, your detector won't stop making baffling loud reactions. In that case, I'd recommend another attempt at an auto-tune/noise cancel and a readjustment of your volumes.

Hope your detector is alright and that this may help.

• Like 2

contact minelab for exact information. i did not have those issues when i had my 5000. so much is speculative, go and ask the manufacture for the straight scoop.

Are you using the coin/relic soil/timing? DD coils or Mono?? I know that when I use coin/relic timing on soil that is more mineralized, you can not swing the coil without it reacting like there are large targets everywhere.  Try another timing and see if it helps.

• Like 1

Also make sure the cable is firmly attached to the shaft down near the coil, if you bump into things and the cable moves, that can set it off too. Also consider getting a cable guard that goes next to the box. As mentioned above, bumping the top end of the cable can set it off as well, and the guard protects the cable connector from being bent when you put the detector down on the ground.

I dont have that issue, and you shouldn't if you are in factory preset settings. I use somewhat hotter settings hunting but I would try the presets to see if it is responding as it should. I have also noticed that if items hit your cable, or if you have a loose cable loop that can move close to the coil, you may hear falsing. If you are close enough, have a dealer evaluate if it is working as it should, or minelab, that will answer your questions

3 hours ago, Minerjosh said:

I only experience this problem with my 10x5 coiltek joey mono coil. My commander coils and coiltek elite coils don't have this issue. 

Then it sounds like a bad coil to me. Even if it was good, coils and cables degrade. If the cable has a sort it can sometimes be located by wiggling the cable. If the fault is internal, like a loose winding, unless you are a wizard it’s done.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Then it sounds like a bad coil to me. Even if it was good, coils and cables degrade. If the cable has a sort it can sometimes be located by wiggling the cable. If the fault is internal, like a loose winding, unless you are a wizard it’s done.

@amitchia ... and there just happens to be some good and low-cost coil models for sale in the classifieds here now too- I especially liked the 8” mono.  It would be a good one to test, but also complement the other coils you already have if they are still good.

19 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Steve- can a coil with a loose winding be repaired by carefully injecting small amounts of expanding foam into it, or is the interior solid already? 🤔

15 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Steve- can a coil with a loose winding be repaired by carefully injecting small amounts of expanding foam into it, or is the interior solid already? 🤔

Like I said, if you are a coil wizard...... I'm not. It all depends on the coil, and what really is wrong. If it is dead anyway it can't hurt to try something before it gets tossed. I have zero patience for a coil that misbehaves and do not trust that they are performing as they should, so unless they are under warranty I just toss them. After making sure it was not the cable etc. etc.

If you work in water or wet environments water intrusions can create issues. My favorite old Nugget Finder 16" mono was an old style fiberglass model. Microfractures build up and allow water intrusion, and the coil eventually got flaky from being used for weeks in rainy weather. Something like that might take a little baking to dry out. But I just got a new coil.

Think of the detector as the sports car. It needs quality accessories in good operating condition, like headphones and coils, to actually get the top performance.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to GPX 5000 - Newbie Questions