GPX 5000 - Newbie Questions

amitchla

Thanks for the responses, guys.

@GotAU? - I'll def look into the classifieds, but i want to get this figured first. I currently have a 17x9 advantage, 8" mono and 11" mono.

@phrunt - it was inconsistent the last time i took it out. I did experience some wonkyness wiggling the connection near the box at one point, and then it didn't do it after i disconnected/reconnected and re-wrapped the wire. I tend not to force my way into electronics if it's not meant to be opened, but if it's an easy disassembly that I could re-solder, then I'll take a look. 

• Like 1

The cables themselves go bad too, pretty frequently actually especially if you change them a lot and wrap/rewrap. Also where the cable connects to the coil can get an intermittent open circuit if you wrap tight and then push the coil up with your foot to pinpoint or detect vertical walls a lot.

• Like 3

Years ago (staring in 2005 I think), we built coil cable stabilizers for the 3500-5000's. They attached to the upper rod and to the coil cable right up next to where it screwed into the box. They worked incredibly well for stopping the wobble at the attachment point that so many of those machines seemed to have. We even wondered at the time why ML couldn't incorporate one as a part of their detectors, but no answer.
I tried to find the old forum articles but no luck, too far back for the forums storage capabilities. 

I have one of those stabilizers on my 5000 now.  There were several different types offered.

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

to me it sounds like something is wrong with the detector

G'day Prunt.. as you know i'm also a newby on the GPX 5000.. I bought a heavily used one last month and it came with a whole load of extras (most of which didn't work - including neither of the head phones and only 1 out of the 3 loudspeakers).. But me getting ripped off again is not what sparked my query.. What I would like to know is there anyway to test an old GPX to see if it's in good working order without taking it to a dealer? All the 4 coils my detector came with seem to be working alright, even after I re-wrapped them with electrical tape to cover the worn out lengths where the internal wires were poking through)..  

21 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

What I would like to know is there anyway to test an old GPX to see if it's in good working order without taking it to a dealer?

Throw a small piece of gold on the ground and pass the detector above it with increasing distance away

• Like 1

To the OP,

I'm not extremely far from you if you're in LA. Maybe we can meet up if no one else is closer and willing and we can see if we could collaborate a better idea of what might be going on. Shoot me a PM if you're interested, though we do have some rain coming I believe...

• Like 2

Hey amitchla, did you try rewinding the cable with less stress on the plug? If so did it help?

• The title was changed to GPX 5000 - Newbie Questions