Post The Smallest Silver Coin You Have Found

Think I have one of each weight, dia are the same.

So what is the smallest coin regardless of metal type?

• Like 2

1778 Half Real, today.

20210130_115508.jpg

• Like 6

13rd century medieval Flemish "maille" ,0.5g silver , found a few months ago with my Deus HF in the north of France

DSC02545.JPG

• Like 7
  • Oh my! 1

1890 Canadian 5 cent found in a sidewalk strip in Montana with the whites MXT

0315171025-1.jpg

• Like 5

OK, I said I would post a silver, so here goes, though I have found some smaller than this, cut or trimmed hammered. I found this 16th century Elizabeth 1st hammered penny on my last trip to the U.K., and if asked to pick a favorite silver find this is in the running. It is small, paper thin, and sharp detail. I am told Elizabeth was not well loved by many, who went out of their way to rub her face out on the coins. Many are found where that appears to be the case. This one has very little wear, and so it is a favorite find. Weight 0.54 gram

16th-century-elizabeth-1st-hammered-silver-penny-steve-herschbach.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

OK, I said I would post a silver, so here goes, though I have found some smaller than this, cut or trimmed hammered. I found this 16th century Elizabeth 1st hammered on my last trip to the U.K., and if asked to pick a favorite silver find this is in the running. It is small, paper thin, and sharp detail. I am told Elizabeth was not well loved by many, who went out of their way to rub her face out on the coins. Many are found where that appears to be the case. This one has very little wear, and so it is a favorite find. Weight 0.54 gram

16th-century-elizabeth-1st-hammered-silver-penny-steve-herschbach.jpg

Hi Steve.That is a awesome  find.The variety of finds  you can find in Europe is mind boggling.Would you say you enjoyed hunting the fields in England  as much you do nugget  hunting. If  Greece had in  England's treasure laws that could get some winter tourists there to hunt the fields.Summer is way to hot there to do it then.  

• Like 1

If the weather is good, a uk hunt is tops in my book. If it rains the whole trip, it can be a muddy mess, as that clay based soil turns to really sticky gumbo. Still fun, but more challenging for sure.

If I can have as much or more fun by myself in the desert here finding gold nuggets. It’s hard to beat finding gold every day, which is not going to happen in the U.K. But will I ever find a Bronze Age ax head in the desert? Unlikely. :smile:

• Like 1