Solar Charger For GPX 5000.. Will It Work?

5 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

the solar panel output is pulsed and has too high of voltage swings

Thanks for putting up with my ignorance of elec-trickery, you've explained it really well.. It's slowly making sense.. it's becoming a bit of a daisy chain: solar panel--solar controller--battery--inverter--GPX 5000.. 😁

• Like 2

The solar panel system I showed you I can charge almost anything with, and if I connect a small inverter to it I can run many other things also.

I know that it is a little heavier than what most people want, but I mounted everything on a hand truck to pack out. With everything I take with me that system only weighs an extra 30 pounds, but like I said it is all on the hand truck with the rest of my equipment.

Good luck on your decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

Never do that as the solar panel that you are wanting to use will never be able to power it properly and burn the solar panel up very quickly.

This is what you need to connect your converter to for safety.

https://www.amazon.com/ML7-12-Battery-Mighty-Brand-Product/dp/B00K8V30D0/ref=sr_1_5?crid=SJ8Y1E8765HA&dchild=1&keywords=12v+battery&qid=1611737243&sprefix=12v%2Caps%2C211&sr=8-5

I was suggesting a larger capacity battery like a 34amp as the ML battery is 7.4v and 9.2Ah. A 34Ah battery will charge for a couple days and can also run a puffer or small refrigerator as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GotAU? said:

A 34Ah battery will charge for a couple days and can also run a puffer or small refrigerator as well.

That was just a simple battery that I use for my USB circuits only, the larger battery I use is for the heavy equipment and it is a trolling motor battery I bought at a auto store.

• Like 2

I would set up a solar system to the Car/4WD battery and use the cigarette plug to charge you detector battery with the regulated ML charger. This will not work if you are going on foot for a few days, a second battery or two is require and if a light weight ones are used they can be used for half day trips. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

use the cigarette plug to charge you detector battery

Thanks geoff-lunk, that's another good suggestion.. the only thing is the cigarette plug has stopped working since i flooded my 4WD.. can i cut off the plug of the ML car charger and connect the cables directly to whatever cables go into the cigarette plug? or would i get a shock every time i hooked it up? 

Don't cut the Minelab charger cord Eric. Since your car ciggie socket is stuffed, your best bet would be to connect a separate cigarette plug socket to your 12v solar charged car/freestanding battery via alligator clips. These are usually available at most auto accessory shops

Your Minelab car charger will then simply plug into this - make sure the polarity is right though!

Edit: Another way is to replace your stuffed ciggie socket with a flash new one - maybe complete with USB's

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

An unregulated solar panel can put out up to 20+ volts no matter how many watts it's rated for..

The solar controller regulates that to battery charging level 13-15 volts  depending on sun exposure , how well it charges also depends on how many watts the panel (s) puts out.  

A battery is a good buffer  for the voltage swings plus---- !!!! the solar controller needs to see a load or the panels could easily destroy it . IE: release the magic smoke !

A USB outlet is 5 volts.  

You can get 12 volt powered ciggy lighter sized unit typically with 2 USB outlets and maybe a digital voltage readout that will replace that ciggy plug socket for about $15 US , not sure of where you might source them? but you can find them on amazon. or any of the usual places like that. Look for "fast charge" types. 

This would save the need for a 12volt inverter plus wiring , and the resulting conversion loss of the extra stages inline.  (unless you need mains power for something else ?

Use fuses .

Hope that gets you going to keep on going.>>>>>>>>>

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You definitely need a battery as a buffer after the solar charge controller.   Think of that as your electrical gas tank.  Then use the battery (preferably one that has integrated, regulated 12VDC (cig lighter socket) and USB 5VDC outputs as your detector charging source. You should only be charging the ML’s from regulated 12VDC or 5VDC stable voltage sources that can supply sufficient, relatively steady and uninterrupted 1 to 2 amps of charge current needed for your detectors.  The higher capacity battery the better.  Something that is at least twice the mAH (milliamperes-hour capacity) of all your device batteries.  Equinox is about 6000 mAH roughly and the large GPX batteries are about 9200 mAH. That means your source battery should be about 30000 mAH to ensure a complete full charge of both your detector batteries with some headroom for losses that occur during the charging process. 

I also recommend 100 W panels at least to provide the capability to fully recharge your buffer/charging source battery during your daylight hours so it is ready to recharge your gear overnight.  

Great advice from the folks above, Erik.  They are experienced and have done it before.  It is nothing to mess about with or experiment with or cut corners with if you have no idea what your doing.  You’ll spend a lot of money and quickly ruin your gear.  Your money would then have been better served throwing it in the campfire to keep your hands warm.  These folks will get you on the right track.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1