Hi Doug,

Thank you so much for posting this. I visit Alaska every year... except the last. The darn pandemic. Anyway, it is nice to see some posts from home. Thank you and very happy to have you here. I promise to start posting more here as I have tons of dredging stuff yet to publish.

• Like 6

Great story and pictures! You know you are in the backcountry when you can visibly see mosquitos photo bombing your pictures (last picture). Getting me excited for heading out this spring, and reminding me to grab the stuff with plenty of deet.

-Brandon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Mineit,

This is a great post.  I have been meaning to comment and ask a couple of questions if you don’t mind because I also have a claim up the Steese.  Your operation looks awesome and a lot of fun.  

We are looking to do some light exploration this summer.  I think my claim is closer to Fairbanks but the geology is similar.  

How much muck is on top of gravels?

How deep is the pay/ bedrock?

Historic info says the main valley below my claim the bedrock was 10-12 feet.  Looking around mine I think it is shallower because it is in a side valley.  

I dredge up in that same area but don’t run into frozen ground.  I am pretty sure on my claim the ground is frozen based on the vegetation. 

Any info would be appreciated.

• Like 2