We have from 1 foot to 4 feet of muck then we hit gravel top of gravel to bed rock is about 8 feet some times more hardly any big rock in the gravel . The big rock has been pushed up to the top due to the frost with the freeze thaw most of our gravel is thawed if we strip off the muck in the fall the blue berry bushes will have solid ice under them I don't even know how they can grow we always hit flowing water when we get close to bed rock 

• Like 2

Great deal of work you have done! And great ingenuity building your own equipment! It's really hard to appreciate all the work from watching "reality" shows! But your making it happen! Continued luck with your operation! And stay free and safe!👍👍

45 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

Great deal of work you have done! And great ingenuity building your own equipment! It's really hard to appreciate all the work from watching "reality" shows! But your making it happen! Continued luck with your operation! And stay free and safe!👍👍

thank you

• Like 1

Thank you for the info.  

Where I dredge there are not to many boulders either  They are mostly quartz slicks or quartzite.  The bedrock is a quartz schist so it doesn’t break off into anything to big.  All the frost shattering leave a layer of clay with broke pieces of the bedrock.  Almost all of the gold is in the clay. 

• Like 2

Our bed rock is garnet schist its like a clay the gold does not go into it we take about a foot of it we have run tests with only bed rock there is nothing in it lower on the creek they have a quartzite bed rock there's is real blocky they take about 8 feet of it to get most  of the gold we have a real mineralized layer that is real hot when we find it when we do a cross cut we see old old creek channels in the cut the old channels are gold free meaning the gold was put in before the old channels came into play we have found a few old fossilized bones but no tusks yet that would be a real trophy hoping that it melts the snow and ice soon I'm so ready to get up there we are almost to eagle summit 

take care doug

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Doug,

I hope you had a great, productive summer.  The weather was good most of the season.

I have a question.  What do you use to drive the trommel?  I see a gas motor in the pictures, what I am wondering what is the gear on the barrel and what sort of take off or engagement system do you use?

we have a 15hp gas motor belt driven to chains and sprockets for gear reduction the trommel barrel has 3/8 bolts 3inch apart sticking out 1 inch the chain is an ag chain with 3 inch centers so the pitch is right it took a little bit to get the pitch right ended putting a 1/8 inch spacer around the barrel . we use to use 5/16 bolts for the drive they would only last maybe one season the 3/8 bolts helped we run it about 16 revaluations per min the gas engine runs about 1/4 throttle the engine uses about 3 gallons of gas a day its a be engine from aih 15 hp its ran 7 years so far with out a problem the trommel barrel is a propane tank 42 inch in diameter 16 feet long the barrel is some times about 1/4 full of rock it still turns fine 24 inch wide sluice 11 feet long  we run about 35 yards an hour 

• Like 3

As I read this, I'm watching Tony Beets put his moving trommel together! What's the odds on that!!🤣👍👍