Nugget Hunting With The Deus

Bretski

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Contraption, we really appreciate your desire to help. I recommend that you keep in mind that this forum has world class experts in the subject from actual experience. Gary is not a prospector nor is Andy Sabisch. Reading is fine. Seeing is fine. All I can say is I know my stuff better than most after doing this for 45 years, but I pay attention when Jeff and others post. Jeff knows more about gold prospecting than both Gary and Andy together will ever know. I’m not putting them down and if asked, they’d agree. If you want to go beyond what they know about gold prospecting, this is the place for it. Just food for thought.

So show ,me a better video on tuning the Deus for nugget hunting. Criticism is fine to a point but sometime you gotta produce the goods. I'm happy to watch it and learn. That video Jeff showed is not it. 

• Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1

3 hours ago, Contraption said:

So show ,me a better video on tuning the Deus for nugget hunting. Criticism is fine to a point but sometime you gotta produce the goods. I'm happy to watch it and learn. That video Jeff showed is not it. 

Ok, got it. Good luck in your endeavors.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Contraption said:

You appear to not be bothering to read what other knoweledgeable people are writing.  You really need to go back and read Jeff's post.  The Depar 600 video with Gary is a great Depar 600 video but the Depar/Orx interface is different than the Deus Gold Field interface despite the underlying gold field program which FIRST appeared on the Deus, not the Depar.  I own both the Orx and Deus (Jeff owned both also, so he knows what he is talking about). 

The issue is that the OP is is a Deus user and the setup steps between Deus and Depar/Orx are different so the Gary's Depar video can get lost in translation.  Andy Benson's Deus Gold Field video fills in the gaps using the Deus interface as a more familiar reference point for the OP. 

I know Jeff, Andy, and Steve well and I know that they know both the Deus and prospecting well.   And who am I?  Well I am not a prospector but I do make good use of the Gold Field program for relic hunting brass in some of the hottest soil around and I have relic hunted with Andy Benson in hot soil.  We are proficient at using different VLF detectors in hot ground.  Besides Deus/Orx most of us have swung the Equinox 800 and the Tarsacci MDT.

I have successfully snagged gold with Deus although the nugget was perfectly round (see my avatar).  And I'll let Andy Sabisch know you really enjoyed his Deus  handbook next time I go detecting with him, assist with his Deus Boitcamp as I have done for the past 4 years, or when he asks me again to help out with contributions to the next edition of one his detector handbooks.  You see, I know a thing or two about Deus, also. 

So don't presume the folks posting here are rubes who haven't read the same  books, haven't seen the videos, or haven't actually "produced the goods" as you say just because they have a slightly different take than you.  We're all here to learn and to graciously pass along what we have learned and experienced regarding detecting to those who ask for advice.

Happy Hunting and Good Luck in your detecting ventures.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Contraption said:

Contraption, if you just have to have a video showing you exactly how to tune a Deus for gold prospecting, I am afraid you are out of luck. The video you posted by Gary not using a Deus, a short and hard to see video using the Deus by Clegy from Australia, a video by Pascoleads from Australia using an ORX which is not a very informative video, another video from Australia using a planted large nugget (that a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV could hit) and Andy Benson's video are about it if you want to see an XP Deus with the HF coils in action gold prospecting on mineralized ground. None of the videos besides Gary's go into much detail about settings. Andy goes over the most important one which is ground balancing and his explanation of the Iron Amplitude Rejection feature is exactly the way I use it too. In really bad dirt the quick pinpoint button ground balance can be a bit iffy sometimes. If I can't get the Deus to quiet down enough I go into the GB settings and do a pumping ground balance and then adjust the ground balance manually one to three increments a bit positive if I can. Also, Andy hinted at another subject and I will too. The Deus numerical VDIs for really small gold or other non-ferrous targets in mineralized soil are just not reliable at all. The Deus with the HF coils will seriously up average most non-ferrous targets until they wrap around into the iron range. A .5 gram gold nugget or similar sized piece of lead may air test between 45 and 65. Just placing that target on the surface of highly mineralized ground my change that VDI to the high 80s and 90s. Burying it will send it to 99 or just no VDI at all. That is where the horseshoe graph or the XY graph become important for possible ferrous/non ferrous identification. Even those are not fool proof however on deeper or smaller buried non-ferrous targets in high mineralization. 

In my opinion, the default Deus Gold Field settings are pretty good. I tweak them a little depending on mineralization. The three big changes are frequency of at least 31 kHz, a conservative sensitivity level to suit the ground mineralization reading which usually works out to higher ground mineralization equals lower the sensitivity and of course the most important which is ground balancing which I often have to do repeatedly. Sometimes adding just a little threshold tone will actually smooth out the static filled background noise from ground mineralization also.

If you don't like Andy's video........gold prospecting in the Western USA or Western Canada may not be for you. He gave a very good introductory demonstration (which was his stated purpose for the video) of what it is like to use a Deus with a high frequency coil on fairly hot ground. I hope he makes another similar video where he can use both hands, show more of his settings without the protective cover on his remote control and hopefully find more gold.

In the almost a thousand hours of prospecting with the Deus and ORX the amount of time I have spent actually finding gold would maybe fill a two hour video. The rest of those hundreds of hours would be digging thousands of trash targets or just trying to find a target of any kind other than hot rocks, while watching out for mountain lions, bears, moose, wolves, coyotes, scorpions, rattlesnakes, tarantulas, nasty ants, cactus, cats claw and western buckthorn bushes, a whole lot of other plants with thorns and just avoiding spraining an ankle or breaking a bone when I am a mile or two from my vehicle. I have even been chased by wild donkeys!!!!!!!

Bretski, you mentioned sub gram gold either in or under cobbles. The Deus can handle that situation pretty well especially with the elliptical coil. Just don't swing as fast as you normally do with the Deus on larger targets and you may be able to raise your sensitivity since your coil will be away from the actual ground. Most of all be careful on those cobbles and good luck.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Contraption said:

Jeff, Hugh, Steve and others, thanks for the kind words. I'll say it again I'm not a nugget hunting expert but I have done it enough to know the basics. I've found gold with the GPX, Equinox and Deus. But Jeff, Steve and others I can assure you have way more success and experience than I do, so heed their words of wisdom. That being said Jeff had mentioned that he hoped I would do another video on the Deus and go into more detail. Well I had actually already done some filming a few weeks ago for XP Team USA and just finished the video.

• Like 8

... I think it would be good to compare the 9.5 "hf ellipse and the 9" circle coil in the field on the same targets, or the influence of the height of the IAR setting and frekvency setting on the quality of detection of small gold targets.

• Like 1