Equinox Detecting... Snakes?

Ok folks, someone please tell me this is just a bizarre series of coincidences. On three separate occasions now I've come across a good signal out in the forest here in Virginia, usually in the pulltab range, and dig only to find a hibernating snake. How in the world is that possible? Is the metal detector actually detecting the snake or are they just over a target?  I can't figure this out. Any old hands wanna chime in here?

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 2

A detector can pick up a coiled snake which is in hibernation due to the fact that they have a .31% of magnesium

contained in their bones and teeth.

So depending on how large they are one can easily detect snakes in the winter. So go get them critters and post a couple of your finds on here for everyone to see. A video would be nice to show that it is not a hoax and maybe give someone more time out there.

Rattle snakes can still be dangerous so be careful.

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 2

Who knew!!🐍 Thanks!

That could open up a whole new market for detectors! A new herpetologist line, like the "rattler", "cobra", "python", ... 🤣👍👍

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

A detector can pick up a coiled snake which is in hibernation due to the fact that they have a .31% of magnesium

contained in their bones and teeth.

So depending on how large they are one can easily detect snakes in the winter. So go get them critters and post a couple of your finds on here for everyone to see. A video would be nice to show that it is not a hoax and maybe give someone more time out there.

Rattle snakes can still be dangerous so be careful.

Damn, I have to admit I was really looking forward to being told this was just a wild coincidence; the third snake was cut right in half with my shovel and I felt absolutely terrible for days. Rather than find more and post videos, I am tempted to never dig another pulltab signal in loamy soil ever again...

I wish the Equinox could detect scorpions----(the Arizona and Colorado varieties!!!)

That is an amazing coincidence or not. Some very sensitive, high frequency VLF detectors can detect my hand sweeping across their coil including the Equinox, Deus, Gold Monster 1000, GM24K and the Gold Kruzer.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Equinox Detecting... Snakes?
29 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Anything that can be electrocuted can be picked up with a metal detector if it is hot enough. Electrocution = Conductive

Makes sense to me, but begs the question of why metal detectors aren't known for detecting living creatures more generally. If we assume a sliding scale of conductivity, makes me wonder what the difference is between a snake and say, my cat, which doesn't seem to trigger a response. 

Lots of things. An air space in the ground will also signal if it throws off the ground balance. The lack of ground actually signals. Detectors are surface effect mostly, and maybe cat fur is an insulator. Just focus on them being electromagnetic devices that can only detect conductive and magnetic effects plus interference.

I am from Alaska and got asked a lot if detectors can detect a walrus tusk buried in a beach. Anyone that understands what I just said should know the answer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ShintoSunrise said:

makes me wonder what the difference is between a snake and say, my cat,

Take you detector with sense in a high range and go over the head of the cat and it will pick it up from the cats teeth.

Chemical makeup of teeth will have a small amount of magnesium in them, same as a tusk or ivory.

9 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I wish the Equinox could detect scorpions----(the Arizona and Colorado varieties!!!)

Just mount a UV flashlight on your Nox's shaft and you'll see them. Scorpions glow under UV light.

• Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1