I Think You Will Like The News Coming Out Next Week With Coil Selection For The Equinox

2 hours ago, FloridaSon said:

Why would these smaller elliptical coils be better than the 6 inch round (I just bought)?

Coverage?

Nugget hunters work in very tight quarters. My favored 6 x 10 elliptical let’s me get a hair more depth than a 6” round while covering 10” per sweep (or less depending on overlap). It also lets me get between two rocks 6” apart or into a crevice 6” wide. It’s just a very handy hybrid size for gold prospectors, which is why so many dedicated VLF nugget detectors come equipped with such a coil. I’ll always use round in open terrain.

fisher-makro-minelab-garrett-whites-gold-nugget-metal-detectors.jpg

• Like 3

A solid 6”x10” would make me very happy indeed. 😃A fellow on another forum said he saw a YT video that the new coils will be  from Coiltek. No details. 

• Like 1

Smaller ellipticals provide a great form factor compromise for good coverage and the ability to swing side to side in constrained areas.  Larger ellipticals allow for good coverage and less weight than their perfectly round counterparts. Solid coils are preferable in rocky/scrub areas or where there is stubby vegetation such as a harvested field.

• Like 2

If it’s Coiltek I hope they are just not reusing old housings again. I was not terribly impressed by the 5x9 Coiltek for CTX. Heavy and at $390 very overpriced.

This coil is 9” x 5” despite what is printed on it. Better than nothing but I like the Gold Monster coil more. Still.... open mind! :smile: Price will matter. They could get away with $390 on CTX but that will not fly with EQX. I think the CTX coil is epoxy filled accounting for the weight, and that was not inappropriate for the CTX. The Monster coil is hollow, much lighter. But the Coiltek coil could be made lighter if foam filled. Don’t know, but when you look at modern coils... well, I just hope Coiltek is catching up with the times in coil molding. What looks and works fine on a GP3000 might need some updating by now.

I have to admit it it has been so long now I’ve moved on anyway. I’ll be using the 6000 almost exclusively to hunt nuggets, so a dedicated nugget coil for my Equinox is no longer a priority. The 6” I have will suit for the few situations know where I’ll need it.

coiltek-coil-ctx-3030-9-5-dd.jpg
minelab-equinox-with-6-x-10-dd-coil-closeup.jpg

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Solid coils are preferable in rocky/scrub areas or where there is stubby vegetation such as a harvested field.

Absolutely.  It's a bit disappointing that the 3rd party aftermarket manufacturers, whose coils are generally well receieved for their performance, seldom provide closed coils.  (Coiltek and Nugget Finder are exceptions, but they tend to make coils only for Minelab detectors.  The Eastern European companies aren't so restrictive in terms of collaborations but they are the ones who primarily have their coils enclosed in open housings.)  I just got a Mars Sniper 6"x10" for my Fisher F75 and had to make my own solid skid plate and then cover the top with duct tape -- the latter to prevent refuse from building up.

Many OEM coils (First Texas, White's, Minelab) come in closed housings, particularly the 5-6" x 9-10" size.  I'm hoping that is what we find in our February Christmas stockings next week....

• Like 3

So what I know is that Coiltek has to make another 3 different coils for Equinox ...

We can only guess that these coils could be in dimensions that equinox is still missing ... and in my opinion it will be coils in size..5.5 "x9.5", 8-9 ", and maybe a larger coil somewhere in 13 "dimensions ...

We can still think about the design and the weight, but .. in my opinion it will be easy coils ..

since we have a 5.5 "x9.5" Coiltek coil for Etrac, and a 5.5x8"..V8 coil for Vanquish, we can still compare these two coil concepts ..:smile:

The coil coil for Etrac is larger in size - it is a fully covered coil ... so a larger weight is justified here ..So it's a bit of a duel of different coil concepts ..

IMG_20210130_181539 (2).jpg

IMG_20210130_181400 (2).jpg

• Like 3

The Minelab X-Terra 18.75 kHz 5"x9" DD (stock in the gold prospecting 705 package) comes in at a lightweight 386 g (without cover).  Unfortunately it isn't waterproof, only 'water resistant', so good for deserts but not for streams/creeks/rivers.

1594242800_Screenshotat2021-01-30130214.thumb.png.b4e96847b433358ebce15f398af95986.png

P.S. actual (outer) dimensions of major axes of the housing are 5.5" x 9.5".  So ML apparently felt comfortable rounding one up and the other down in their advertising.  :biggrin:  I wish everyone used the same conventions when reporting coil sizes, preferably reporting the winding dimensions (or better yet, report both)!

• Like 1