I Think You Will Like The News Coming Out Next Week With Coil Selection For The Equinox

2 hours ago, FloridaSon said:

Why would these smaller elliptical coils be better than the 6 inch round (I just bought)?

Coverage?

Nugget hunters work in very tight quarters. My favored 6 x 10 elliptical let’s me get a hair more depth than a 6” round while covering 10” per sweep (or less depending on overlap). It also lets me get between two rocks 6” apart or into a crevice 6” wide. It’s just a very handy hybrid size for gold prospectors, which is why so many dedicated VLF nugget detectors come equipped with such a coil. I’ll always use round in open terrain.

fisher-makro-minelab-garrett-whites-gold-nugget-metal-detectors.jpg

• Like 3

A solid 6”x10” would make me very happy indeed. 😃A fellow on another forum said he saw a YT video that the new coils will be  from Coiltek. No details. 

• Like 1

Smaller ellipticals provide a great form factor compromise for good coverage and the ability to swing side to side in constrained areas.  Larger ellipticals allow for good coverage and less weight than their perfectly round counterparts. Solid coils are preferable in rocky/scrub areas or where there is stubby vegetation such as a harvested field.

• Like 2

If it’s Coiltek I hope they are just not reusing old housings again. I was not terribly impressed by the 5x9 Coiltek for CTX. Heavy and at $390 very overpriced.

This coil is 9” x 5” despite what is printed on it. Better than nothing but I like the Gold Monster coil more. Still.... open mind! :smile: Price will matter. They could get away with $390 on CTX but that will not fly with EQX. I think the CTX coil is epoxy filled accounting for the weight, and that was not inappropriate for the CTX. The Monster coil is hollow, much lighter. But the Coiltek coil could be made lighter if foam filled. Don’t know, but when you look at modern coils... well, I just hope Coiltek is catching up with the times in coil molding. What looks and works fine on a GP3000 might need some updating by now.

I have to admit it it has been so long now I’ve moved on anyway. I’ll be using the 6000 almost exclusively to hunt nuggets, so a dedicated nugget coil for my Equinox is no longer a priority. The 6” I have will suit for the few situations know where I’ll need it.

coiltek-coil-ctx-3030-9-5-dd.jpg
minelab-equinox-with-6-x-10-dd-coil-closeup.jpg

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1
1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Solid coils are preferable in rocky/scrub areas or where there is stubby vegetation such as a harvested field.

Absolutely.  It's a bit disappointing that the 3rd party aftermarket manufacturers, whose coils are generally well receieved for their performance, seldom provide closed coils.  (Coiltek and Nugget Finder are exceptions, but they tend to make coils only for Minelab detectors.  The Eastern European companies aren't so restrictive in terms of collaborations but they are the ones who primarily have their coils enclosed in open housings.)  I just got a Mars Sniper 6"x10" for my Fisher F75 and had to make my own solid skid plate and then cover the top with duct tape -- the latter to prevent refuse from building up.

Many OEM coils (First Texas, White's, Minelab) come in closed housings, particularly the 5-6" x 9-10" size.  I'm hoping that is what we find in our February Christmas stockings next week....

• Like 3

So what I know is that Coiltek has to make another 3 different coils for Equinox ...

We can only guess that these coils could be in dimensions that equinox is still missing ... and in my opinion it will be coils in size..5.5 "x9.5", 8-9 ", and maybe a larger coil somewhere in 13 "dimensions ...

We can still think about the design and the weight, but .. in my opinion it will be easy coils ..

since we have a 5.5 "x9.5" Coiltek coil for Etrac, and a 5.5x8"..V8 coil for Vanquish, we can still compare these two coil concepts ..:smile:

The coil coil for Etrac is larger in size - it is a fully covered coil ... so a larger weight is justified here ..So it's a bit of a duel of different coil concepts ..

IMG_20210130_181539 (2).jpg

IMG_20210130_181400 (2).jpg

• Like 3

The Minelab X-Terra 18.75 kHz 5"x9" DD (stock in the gold prospecting 705 package) comes in at a lightweight 386 g (without cover).  Unfortunately it isn't waterproof, only 'water resistant', so good for deserts but not for streams/creeks/rivers.

1594242800_Screenshotat2021-01-30130214.thumb.png.b4e96847b433358ebce15f398af95986.png

P.S. actual (outer) dimensions of major axes of the housing are 5.5" x 9.5".  So ML apparently felt comfortable rounding one up and the other down in their advertising.  :biggrin:  I wish everyone used the same conventions when reporting coil sizes, preferably reporting the winding dimensions (or better yet, report both)!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Erik Oostra
      Some folk believe that their prayers are rewarded, others claim that if you ask the Universe for anything it’ll respond.. But when you need a new battery for your Foxy Noxy, these methods don't work anywhere near as good as keeping an eye out on Ebay..
      Since that awful day last month when the battery on my Nox 800 stopped charging I’ve considered many options, including an external power-pack (expensive), soldering the plug-in cable to other lithium batteries (deadly), and to keep on swapping with the battery from my Nox 600 (pain in ass)..
      This afternoon I searched on Ebay and scored two new Equinox batteries for just $50 (plus $10 postage).. That’s a new battery for Foxy Noxy and a spare for the unlikely event I ever need another one! Gotta love them win/win days..

• By phrunt
      I stumbled across this video of the F75 finding a silver coin deeper than the Equinox, and then he goes on to show the F75 performing better finding a coin between iron.
      What are your thoughts on this one? I never did bother buying a F75 even though a SE edition came up for sale extraordinary cheap nearby to me, my experience with my T2 had me thinking my Nox was better in almost all situations, was I wrong?    I'm a bit puzzled by this video and I guess it could be soil conditions or something but I've found my Nox far better on deep silver than my T2 and I sure have experimented a lot on untouched in ground silvers.
    • By mn90403
      I saw some waves last night and thought I'd get in a wet beach detect today before I drive to a one day desert hunt in the Southern California mountains.  I didn't know what to expect and I didn't find very much of interest but I did find this pendant.   
      Does anyone know anything about it and what the symbols and writings mean?  I'll do an image search and post what I find.

• By mn90403
      Today I was walking along the wet sand just looking for any targets and not finding many.  Then I found a Jesus ring. Thank you Jesus!  I gridded the area near the ring and found an Italian chain marked CU SU so I guess that means it is only gold ionized or something like that.  It is pretty.  It was time to get off the wet sand on the mile plus walk back to the car.
      I walked around the area where I had found my Franklin 50 Cent piece and nothing new.  I went through the area nearby where I had found some recent silver and then followed my pattern back to the car.  It was a warm day and I had to keep myself slowed down at about the 3 hour mark to keep in the game.  Then I got the 35 on the Equinox and it turned out to be only my second silver 50 cent piece.  I don't think I've held one of these since I was a kid.  In the same general area was the 1944 Quarter and a couple of silver dimes.  That makes for a pretty good day.

These are the best of the finds with two wheat pennies.

Just after I found the ring which is unmarked I got a 5 on the 800.  When I dug it I could see the chain hanging out of the scoop.

Then you feel it and know the weight is not quite right even tho the color is good.

Then later I saw the markings and now it is stylish but not solid gold.  I gridded the area and kept telling myself that chains don't sound like coins.

Then about half an hour later I did get a coin sound and what a nice coin it is.

This has not been touched as far as cleaning.  It is one of those substantial coins that when you hold it it feels good.  So you settle down and get to work looking for more.

It was not long after and I had the quarter and a couple of dimes and the wheats.
      This was the way it all looked when I dumped it in the containers after the hunt.

The saw blade was quite odd.  I'll go back to that area one day at the beginning of my hunt rather than at the end.
      Mitchel

• By Erik Oostra
      My Equinox 800 no longer charges, the green light flicks on and off as if its doing its job but the battery is not holding a charge.. as soon as i turn it on i get the 'battery flat' sign.. I'm one of those pedantic bastards who always runs their battery flat and then fully recharges it, for fear that otherwise it'll create a 'memory' half full.. 
      Is there anything I can do about this? or is my poor old Foxy Noxy a write off? 
      Any advice will be much appreciated.. even slaughtering a black chicken at midnight during a full moon, if it works I'll be a very happy man! 
    • By mn90403
      I have an 800 that I use at the beach.  Sometimes it drops and this causes the plastic stand to break.  I glue it but it has happened about 3 times and soon I won't be able to glue it.
      It is time to get a new cuff/stand.  I'm really not interested in new shafts but ...
      I use the 15" more than any coil if that makes a difference.
      Mitchel