The 1000 Silver Coin Club

I added up my indian total and i have 1666 even though i went 9 straight years without going over 30. I love finding nice  looking indians because they look so cool.A work of   art.i talked to clad hopper and in 2007 when i got 175 he got 226 total. The poor  guy did not get his explorer until may 2003 and while hunting with a explorer expert friend of his,  that guy found 15 silver to his 0 in 1 day and they  were mostly barbers.He would get a explorer after that and  would keep up with the big boys. As a side note  I would talk to a old timer who had a paper route in 1939 and he told me out of ten pennies  he  would get on his route that 2    would be indians   at  that point in time which is 30 years of them being  out of circulation.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

I would talk to a old timer who had a paper route in 1939 and he told me out of ten pennies  he  would get on his route that 2    would be indians   at  that point in time which is 30 years of them being  out of circulation.

That's a good statistic to remember.  Buffalo nickels and Mercury dimes were plentiful when I started collecting (and had a paper route) in the early 60's.  So that's ~25 years after the last Buffie and ~20 years after the last Merc were minted.  Also got a few Standing Liberty Quarters (over 30 years out) and Walking Liberty Halves (less than 20 years out) were common.  Of course that's when half dollars were still respected.  I miss those days....  😪

• Like 1

My dad had a restaurant and from 1967 to 1973 he pulled out about 15 pounds of silver.He sold them to his cousin for only 3  times face value to his cousin in 2001.I did pull out all the silver dollars before  he sold them.I would  have bought the rest if he told me.Even in the 80' and early 90's me and my cousin would pull out about  20 silvers each in a year.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

I added up my Barber coin total and I have 336 coins.The best one was the 1895-o key date  !

What, no 1894-S?  😁  I noticed you have several keys & semi-keys of the Barber Dime series.  Have you ever put them in a Whitman folder?  I'm curious how many slots you'd fill (and how many would remain empty).  Maybe half and half?

Those of us who didn't participate in the heyday of coin detecting knew that we missed a lot, but reports like yours are quantitative evidence of something few experienced and maybe almost no one will ever get to do again.  Thanks for this series.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 9:06 AM, GB_Amateur said:

What, no 1894-S?  😁  I noticed you have several keys & semi-keys of the Barber Dime series.  Have you ever put them in a Whitman folder?  I'm curious how many slots you'd fill (and how many would remain empty).  Maybe half and half?

Those of us who didn't participate in the heyday of coin detecting knew that we missed a lot, but reports like yours are quantitative evidence of something few experienced and maybe almost no one will ever get to do again.  Thanks for this series.

I did get a 1894- o  last year so i came close . I guess  that they only know about 12 out of the 24 and  one was very worn which means it circulated for many years.i bet there is a couple waiting for a hunter and some buried in the debris from the 1906 quake.I have not put them in a folder.You also have  condition keys where the nice ones are worth a good amount.I wish they  never made the v nickel and instead made a barber  half dime.i love  Barber coins.I forgot to mention that i did find a 1894-s quarter last year.Close but no cigar.

• Like 1

i checked my pre  Jefferson nickel count for 2020 and  I had 25 which included 5 in one day while water hunting the ghost pier.They were mostly  buffalo's. In 2020  I also found 41 pieces of silver jewelry and 1 small sterling spoon.That is 161   total silver for the year if you count anything silver.The nox is the best silver jewelry machine  that   I ever  had because it  finds all sizes of silver very well. The fbs machines won't  hit the smaller pieces  as well.

I was checking to see why my 2001   silver total was so small compared to other full years of hunting. I only used the  explorer 6 times and  I found 48 pieces of gold which means I was putting a lot of time  going for the gold.The  gold amount makes up for the low silver  total so I can't complain.     

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

I was checking to see why my 2001   silver total was so small compared to other full years of hunting. I only used the  explorer 6 times and  I found 48 pieces of gold which means I was putting a lot of time  going for the gold.The  gold amount makes up for the low silver  total so I can't complain.     

I find that very interesting DwD..   so I assume the 6 times with the Explorer was to search turf and high conductors (silver).  The SE Pro was my main machine until the Equinox came out.  Honestly, I learned how to detect with the Explorer, even though I owned an Etrac and CTX before it.  I outlined a pounded park I am targeting this year in another thread... and while I have my E600 and E800 lined up and ready... my Explorer is also fully charged and standing in the starting lineup for my hunts there.... batting "clean-up". 😉 ~Tim

On 2/5/2021 at 4:03 PM, Dances With Doves said:

Hi Tom. What was  your total from your spilled cache on silver about?

This was a barn (long story about why anyone would have been detecting there, TO BEGIN WITH, so I'll have to leave out that part of the story).   But suffice it to say, the location of the barn had something historical that goes back to the 1830s, so a few people, as early as the late 1970s, had gone around it, and in it, to try their luck.

Imagine their surprise , that instead of finding coins/targets from the mid 1800s, as they were looking for, that they instead started finding lots of silver coins.   Just common date roosies, mercs, silver washingtons, franklin halves, walkers, etc.....   Needless to say, they were a bit confused, but ... on the other hand .... weren't complaining.

I recall that the original guys mused "must have been barn dances going on here" .  Yet that theory didn't quite fit, because they NEVER found pennies.  Only dimes, quarters, and halves.   Hmmm

I joined in on the story, in the very early 1990s, because I too read the same historical citations.   And then I went and hit it, I too was met with lots of scattered silver coins .  So I then realized "this must be the barn that the other guys I talked to, had mentioned a decade or so earlier".   I have since pieced the story together (aided by talking to the owner .... long story), that these were the result of broken-open jars of silver coins, that had been inadvertently spread out all over the barn floor, and out-the-door and into the immediate environs, of the barn.   D/t every year or so, the farmer would take a Bobcat tractor to scoop out all the cow manure .  And had been inadvertently hitting these jars, and scattering their contents.   This explained why some of the coins were coming out in clumps (all-end-to-end stacked, etc....).

Does that answer your question ?

• Like 3