The 1000 Silver Coin Club

12 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

I find that very interesting DwD..   so I assume the 6 times with the Explorer was to search turf and high conductors (silver).  The SE Pro was my main machine until the Equinox came out.  Honestly, I learned how to detect with the Explorer, even though I owned an Etrac and CTX before it.  I outlined a pounded park I am targeting this year in another thread... and while I have my E600 and E800 lined up and ready... my Explorer is also fully charged and standing in the starting lineup for my hunts there.... batting "clean-up". 😉 ~Tim

When I use my  explorer in the turf  95% of the times i am going   for   coins. I dig low hits when i am at the beach or in the shallows. I have got a few  gold rings  with it in the  shallows and on the dry sand.  Only about  5 gold in the   turf and 2 of them sounded like   Indians in all those years.I was a silver snob in my early years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dances With Doves said:

When I use my  explorer in the turf  95% of the times i am going   for   coins. I dig low hits when i am at the beach or in the shallows.

When it comes to urban turfed parks, I agree with you.  That is NOT the place to "be a hero" and angle for gold rings, IMHO.   Maybe nicer cleaner athletic turfed fields (that are devoid of picnicking and eating, and are strictly for athletic frolicking motions).   

I've had this debate with other md'rs before, who are AGHAST that anyone would ever reject tabs or foil.  They'll say : " But you might miss a gold ring ?? !! ".   And when you turn them loose, and watch them "be a hero" and strip-mine junky turf, they quickly tire of turf hunting.  Or ... at the end of the day, you show them your 10 oldies (wheaties & silver),  they can't understand why they only have a single oldie,  and  you have 10.   They seem to think they can have the "best of both worlds".  But it never works out that way.  Instead, they get sick & tired of digging 100 to 200 aluminum junk items , for the off-chance at the lone-gold-ring there.   And feeling like a fool in nice-manicured turf for so-many-holes.

I keep telling those folks:  "If gold rings are your agenda/goal, then WHY THE HECK are you torturing  yourself at blighted inner city BBQ pits and manicured turf ?  Why not just simply go to where the demographics and ratios are better ?  Namely :  Swim beaches.  Or at least, turf that's strictly athletic.  Or P.T. courses, sand volley-ball courts, etc...   Then sure :  Strip-mine away.

For ghost-townsy relicky sites, sure, I enter relic-dig-all mindset.  But on inner-city turf, I opt for cherry-pick mode.  And .... sure, kiss nickels goodbye.  It's just for deep silver then.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom_in_CA said:

I keep telling those folks:  "If gold rings are your agenda/goal, then WHY THE HECK are you torturing  yourself at blighted inner city BBQ pits and manicured turf ?  Why not just simply go to where the demographics and ratios are better ?  Namely :  Swim beaches.  Or at least, turf that's strictly athletic.  Or P.T. courses, sand volley-ball courts, etc...   Then sure :  Strip-mine away.

Couldn't agree more Tom (not that my approval is needed. Haha..)  my gold ring finds have all been on or around athletic areas... soccer fields, edge of a basketball court, one next to a walking path, and a thin child's ring in the bark chips of a tot lot.  I hope 2020 brings more opportunity for beach hunting, and maybe more gold in my pocket (or returned if I can ID it).  Park hunting is all about the old deep coins for me, and the Explorer has been a great machine for that, as well as the E800 in my honest opinion.  If I happen upon a gold ring while digging Indian cent or nickel signals... I will be thrilled, but a bit of an accident.  ~Tim

• Like 1