The 1000 Silver Coin Club

8 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Do your silver coins come out of the lakes looking nice (like those typcially found in Eastern USA soil) or are they corroded similar to specimens that have been in the ocean?  I've only done limited freshwater lake detecting and the 95% copper pennies and nickel-copper alloy ('nickel') coins are pretty bad, although those typically are corroded after having been in the turf for multiple decades, too.

(Responses from other freshwater detectorists are welcome, too.)

The ones in the  Finger Lakes come out nasty.The  ones in the clay beneath the Lake Ontario sand come out much better even though they  have tarnish on them.These ones have a  cooler and smoother look.I found one fresh drop   rosie one time that was perfect in the water.The cache water coins were only in the water a couple of weeks, being there because a    machine cleaning the area pushed them there which just gave them a light tarnish look.There are still coins in that pond but it is a thick jungle and hard to hunt.The clad from the  Finger Lakes come out nice after you tumble them.Much better looking then the silver here.Clad hopper found a  1802 flowing  hair silver in a Finger Lake that would have looked better if found on land.Flowing Hair silver = as good as a gold coin or better.They are on my bucket list.A very tough target indeed.I also  don't find those super thin silver coins many find in the salt in  Lake ontario even though it can get very rough.The lake must protect them good in  it's cuts plus the water is not salty.   

• Like 1

In 2012 i found 47 silver coins and would buy a AT Gold .This  is a splendid fresh water machine that found me lots of gold and cleaned up at a fresh water  ghost pier at a old amusement park on silver coins in that iron.I would only use my explorer a couple of times and it found only a couple silvers.The   xterra with the coils I had  plus the At gold in the water would get the rest. i would get 0 barber  coins but  I did not go    to the parks that produced them that much. The At Gold in it's rookie  season would get me my oldest silver coin ever in a finger lake finding me a 1736 Spanish  coin.It would get  me a 1856 seated dime and my only silver clad  half ever in the water too. The At Gold would do good on the gold too.In 2012  I would find 30 indians.    

In 2013 i would find 55 silver and only used the  getting  old explorer a few times  but it  got a few silvers.  I would get a 1772 Spanish  silver coin with the Infinium in the water.The  At gold would get  water in the display so  that's why   I used it in   this finger lake.   The At gold would get a 1838-0  half dime in this lake when I got it back  plus a nice amount of gold.The x-terra with the stock concentric found the most silver that year and was used the most on the turf.It found a 1877-cc dime.I would only get 3 barber  coins this year.In 2013  I would get 16 indians.

• Like 1

In 2014 My explorer would die in june. I would  get 17 silver in about 12-15 hunts with it. I would  find 21 with the At gold in the water  because of a ghost pier we found where the water was under 4' deep.I would get the rest mostly with  the x-terra but the infinium found a few in the dry sand by the Steve  H. method. I would also revisit the 2006 cache spot and in a different and very over grown section  I would get 38 more in 2  visits using the At gold.My buddies would hunt  there 1  time with me there and would find 44 coins between the 2. The  total for 2014 is 73 normal finds plus 38 for the cache total =111 silver total for the year.I would but a   Nel tornado coil for the x-terra in 7.5 kz. and it would do real good before the coil went bad   the few  times  I used. I would get  the  minelab 10'' 7.5 kz. dd to replace it and it  would get me 5 silver in 2 hunts at the end of  December at a old and very     secluded baseball diamond which included 2 barber dimes at that spot. A very good coil on this machine.I would get only 5 barbers this year and  2 were found in the last  week  of the year.The At gold found  me a Barber half at the ghost pier.Garrett hit the jackpot offering this    fine machine at this time since it was  All terrain with target id   plus tones.It would be a while  for other companies to offer    this type machine for the cost which was very good on gold.In 2014  I would  get only 12 indians.

On 1/28/2021 at 2:23 AM, Dances With Doves said:

I bet our member Raphis  here on this forum is in that  range too

From 2007-2016, I had around 5000 silver coins...About a 500 coin avg per year.  Most all those coins came from parks, schoolyards, and beaches.  Over those years, I was always in a challenge with myself (nobody else) to try and up my previous year’s numbers.  Some years I was successful; other years I found less....typically one would think each successive year of deep silver hunting would produce diminishing returns, but that wasn’t the case for me....my most productive year came in 2015...none of these coin finds were large caches...just pocket spills at best. All the silver finds during the years I mentioned above were found with two basic machines: an Explorer SE and a whites TDI Pro.....I also found about 4 lbs of sterling jewelry during that time.

If Jamflicker didn’t have to work 40 hrs a week, he would easily have doubled his 10 yr output....but it does require a lot of passion/persistence/perseverance to hunt many days for many hours...if you have multiple hobbies you enjoy doing, raise a family, or live in an area with freezing temps during a portion of the year, obviously the yearly silver outputs will be much diminished.  My treasure hunting during the years I mentioned above was a “perfect storm“ for me (one hobby mindset, no labor, and hunt-able weather most of the year, every year).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Raphis said:

From 2007-2016, I had around 5000 silver coins...About a 500 coin avg per year.  Most all those coins came from parks, schoolyards, and beaches.  Over those years, I was always in a challenge with myself (nobody else) to try and up my previous year’s numbers.  Some years I was successful; other years I found less....typically one would think each successive year of deep silver hunting would produce diminishing returns, but that wasn’t the case for me....my most productive year came in 2015...none of these coin finds were large caches...just pocket spills at best.

If Jamflicker didn’t have to work 40 hrs a week, he would easily have doubled his 10 yr output....but it does require a lot of passion/persistence/perseverance to hunt many days for many hours...if you have multiple hobbies you enjoy doing, or live in an area with freezing temps during a portion of the year, obviously the yearly silver outputs will be much diminished.  My treasure hunting during the years I mentioned above was a “perfect storm“ for me (one hobby mindset, no labor, and hunt-able weather most of the year).

I am glad you live in California and not  Rochester because my  totals would be even lower since there were a lot of good hunters here already. The year i found the most was not because of skill but because  of all the  coins there were here.If  I hunted in 2000 with my nox and my skill today i would have gotten way more.I spent a lot of time in the warmer month at the beach and that lowers the silver count unless it is productive which  most of the time it is not. This is Rochester and  winter puts a  damper on hunting time.Those are impressive results   for  sure that you had in that time frame.

I would start 2015 using the x-terra 70 with the 10'' 7 .5 kz. coil and would use it almost all the time in the turf even though it was nose  heavy.I would find 128 silver coins this year, with the x-terra getting 110 that year and the At gold finding 18 in the water.I would even get 2 barber  halves in 10 days with the x-terra to start the year. With  this combo I even found more then clad hopper with his explorer 2.A very good combo for the price for places where the targets are mixed.The explorer would have an advantage where the pull tabs were thick  but  this machine was very good on a variety of targets.This combo was deadly on    Indians at that frequency.I would get 6 Barber dimes this year. I  did get 4 silver with the xterra using my friends 10'' 18 kz. dd the few times that I used  it. I only got 16 indians this year but did not hunt good indian spots.It scored when i went to Indian spots.   

In 2016 my 10'' 7.5 kz coil would     break because  the ears are to thin.I would  get 7  Jesuit rings in a  field before this happened.I would get 21 silver coins with it also.We would  revisit the cache spot because they lowered the pond water     making it just mud along the shoreline.I would add 14 coins to the cache total this year in 1 hunt here. I would use the 3kz. concentric coil in a old boy scout camp and would get some silver there.I also would get about 15 in the water with the At gold including 2 halves in 1 scoop.My buddy clad hopper would let me use his extra explorer 2 and would get 7 silver with it at the end of the     year. Total silver count for the year is 70 normal silver plus 14 for the cache =84 for grand total for the year.I would get 6 Barber coins  for the year.I have now  done every year and just have to add up my totals.As of 2/12/ 21  I also have 10 silver to start the new year.  I found 19 indians in 2016   and mostly with the 10'' 7.5 kz coil.        

I added up my totals and I have 2138  regular silver coin finds and 594 for my cache which brings it to a grand total of 2772  .I hope I did the math right.This total is to 2/12 21. I did   not  think  I had 2000 regular silver like Tom described.Thanks for  following  my ride of a person who was in the  beginning of the FBS era.I wonder  what it would of been like to hunt the good ole days of the 70's 80's and 90's. I heard one woman cleaned up at a certain  park that I did good at an even made the paper with her great finds in the 90's.

• Like 1