Getting The Best From The SDC2300

PhaseTech

The switching on/off is mainly caused by the battery door not being put on properly. There is a small end of the spring contact trying to sit on top of a small raised nipple on the supplied batteries. First of all, the battery door needs to be put on nice and straight so the spring actually sits on top of the battery nipple. Putting some tape or heat shrink around the batteries prevents the batteries from moving around too much, but with the AccuPower batteries I sell this isn't necessary as the nipple is a lot wider. Same as Tenergy batteries. Most guys in Oz are either running my batteries, or tenergy or the good Dick Smith 4500 one's, and keep the stock batteries as a back up. 

Do any of the salt settings offer any better stability compared to sensitivity 1 on bad emi days?

I've used both down at the beach, and the stability of Salt 1 is about equal to Normal 1, so unfortunately Salt mode doesn't really help in terms of EMI. 

Nenad, I got to looking at some notes and sure enough when i had the problems with connection from batteries it was the powerizer batts (very small nipple) that i had problems with. The tenergy nipples are quite a bit bigger like you say,and thanks for sharing the battery door to watch for also. I think the powerizer batts are what came with sdc when i bought it cant remember for sure,thanks a lot.

RICK

Hey Nenad,

Great article as always.  I copy/pasted it over to my Nuggethunting.com forums, but placed a courtesy of Steve's Detector Prospector Forum as the source of info.  

When the SDC 2300 was first introduced here in the US, I couldn't keep them in stock.   At one of my large training sessions several of my customers were having trouble with their SDC's resetting.  By the end of the day, just about all the SDC customers had at least 1-2 power failures, then the unit would power back on.  

We concluded pretty much the same, the terminals on the stock Minelab C batteries were too small, allowing the terminals on the door to move off the battery, causing the unit to reset.  With C batteries with larger terminals, the issue is minimal.  I also sell a set of 6000mah batteries since this became an issue.  

The best solution, even though it sounds silly is placing a small wedge between the top two batteries.  Once you do this, you will never have another issue, even with the stock blue Minelab C batteries that came with the unit.  I just use a small piece of cardboard, easy to push in or pull out during a battery change.  

Just my thoughts on the battery issue with the Minelab SDC 2300 Metal Detector.  

• Like 4

Hey Nenad,

Great article as always.  I copy/pasted it over to my Nuggethunting.com forums, but placed a courtesy of Steve's Detector Prospector Forum as the source of info.  

Thanks Rob. 

Feel free to share any of my Blogs from the website.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I purchased my sdc 2300 to go out west to hunt for gold in December. But I do a lot of beach detecting in the water with my Excalibur too. So I decided to take the 2300 into the water today and see how it does. Almost immediately, the shaft starts to fold due to the pressure of the waves. Very annoying. 

So I took it home and checked the manual. It says when you fold out the shaft, it should click in place. Mine doesn't. Then it says when you push the handle into position, it should lock the shaft in place. It doesn't do that either. 

I sent an email to Minelab about it, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. 

At the end of the shaft by the hinge is a black plastic piece that I think is suppose to hold the shaft in place, but it doesn't do the job on mine. 

On 2/21/2016 at 7:37 PM, c47gold said:

I purchased my sdc 2300 to go out west to hunt for gold in December. But I do a lot of beach detecting in the water with my Excalibur too. So I decided to take the 2300 into the water today and see how it does. Almost immediately, the shaft starts to fold due to the pressure of the waves. Very annoying. 

So I took it home and checked the manual. It says when you fold out the shaft, it should click in place. Mine doesn't. Then it says when you push the handle into position, it should lock the shaft in place. It doesn't do that either. 

I sent an email to Minelab about it, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. 

At the end of the shaft by the hinge is a black plastic piece that I think is suppose to hold the shaft in place, but it doesn't do the job on mine. 

Are you sure you're snapping the handle forward hard enough to lock the shaft?  I was really surprised at how hard you have to force a multi-thousand dollar detector to get it to snap into place.  But I like the housing a lot.

Bob

2 hours ago, EZMoney Bob said:

Are you sure you're snapping the handle forward hard enough to lock the shaft?  I was really surprised at how hard you have to force a multi-thousand dollar detector to get it to snap into place.  But I like the housing a lot.

Bob

+1 on that. Folding it down requires a good belting as well. Not exactly subtle, but it works!

I have used my 2300 at the beach without the collapsing shaft problem mentioned previously, although I didn't go in too deep. My biggest problem was actually trying to dig deep enough in the sand with the waves coming in and out. Found a few one euro coins though, so it works.