I Wish Fisher Would Make A Digital Cz Quicksilver

4 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

I don't remember much about the old CZ series. I think they stopped making them about 40 years ago.

Steve H. wrote a detailed history of the CZ series here 3 1/2 years ago.  The first one (CZ6) came out in the early 90's and they upgraded to different number models (not sequentially numbered or even ordered!) every 2 or 3 years for most of the decade.  In early 2000's (2004 release) after Dave Johnson returned to Fisher Labs he (likely in collaboration) created the dry land CZ-3D which (surprisingly) is still sold today.  It was lauded by Tom Dankowski and highly valued, although there was some issues with some when Fisher was bought and moved to First Texas.  Those problems were alleviated (or not, depending upon whom you ask).  Dankowski would (maybe still will) tune CZ units to maximize performance.  Those 'Tom Tuned' versions carry extra value (used) on EBay.

So in the analog detector world they are still revered, but going head-to-head with many (modern) digital detectors??

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 9:16 PM, GB_Amateur said:

Steve H. wrote a detailed history of the CZ series here 3 1/2 years ago.  The first one (CZ6) came out in the early 90's and they upgraded to different number models (not sequentially numbered or even ordered!) every 2 or 3 years for most of the decade.  In early 2000's (2004 release) after Dave Johnson returned to Fisher Labs he (likely in collaboration) created the dry land CZ-3D which (surprisingly) is still sold today.  It was lauded by Tom Dankowski and highly valued, although there was some issues with some when Fisher was bought and moved to First Texas.  Those problems were alleviated (or not, depending upon whom you ask).  Dankowski would (maybe still will) tune CZ units to maximize performance.  Those 'Tom Tuned' versions carry extra value (used) on EBay.

So in the analog detector world they are still revered, but going head-to-head with many (modern) digital detectors??

My 40 years ago comment was a mistake. I wrote too fast without focusing.

IMO, Fisher has made some strange product decisions. The CZ is a great platform. They just need to bring it into the 21st century.

• Like 1