Challenge Completed And Missed Nuggets Found

jasong

Thanks for the informative writeup, Jason.  I am still just a beginner at this with very limited experience as I just started detecting this year.  It’s through you seasoned guys that I’ve been learning a lot, and I appreciate it! -Anthony 

• Like 1

Also, the amount of sensitivity to tiny iron targets on the 12" spiral and 8" have made me wonder how the 6000 is going to be in trashy areas. Both coils hit tiny iron waaaaaaay smaller than tiny gold. We are approaching sensitivity levels now where even almost invisible tiny iron trash makes a good sound. If the 6000 is about equal to the GPZ+12" on smaller, shallow gold, I have to assume people will find a bunch of new tiny trash in washes they thought were cleaned out. Because that's what keeps happening to me. 

The problem is when you start hitting that stuff at 4" in hardpack. A bootscrape doesn't move it. So you dig each and every one of them and make glacially slow progress.

Some have the patience to dig that much trash. Me, I have to move on. Actually, maybe that's one singular use for the old stock coil I can see - intentionally desensitizing your GPZ in places you want to glide over that trash.

I'll be interested to see how the 6000 deals with that particular issue. I almost wonder if they have some sort of algorithm to minimize iron signal response. But that seems unlikely since that is basically what discrim is, and we know the 6000 doesn't have discrim.

• Like 4

Another very clear and tantalizing post Jason. Thanks for putting in the effort.

Enjoy the rest of your time out there.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I have never had an issue with the coils themselves other than early stages or the manufacturer only the misinformation and the resultant discord when I tried to put balance to the discussions. The risks are still real, do the adapter wrong and it gets expensive, However I never had a problem with any of my adapters.

Hello Jonathan, This is very interesting as I got the impression that you were dead set against the X coils. What misinformation, discussions & discord are you speaking of. Can you elaborate on the misinformation please & who & where did it come from?

I guess there is always going to be a risk factor involved if one attempts to do the adapter themselves if doing that kind of work isn't their forte. I am picking there are quite a few very fine wires to deal with & not much room to play with in the soldering process. What generally happens to the detector if things go wrong & what would the cost of repair be to an already expensive detector.

I recall a comment that I thought was from you, or maybe it was from somebody else, that said your adapters were made for you by Minelab. Guess you cant get a safer adapter made than from them.  

Nice gold finds too by the way.

G4G   

• Like 1

Just now, Steve Herschbach said:

No. It is water under the bridge.

If I could use my 30 likes for this post I would!  👍

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 2

I should have a chance to try them out on what some would consider medium to hot ground here in the US next week. It's not a place I've detected at all with the GPZ so I will start in Normal and adjust from there. It will be a fun trip with a bit of time to detect as well. It's a private invite to private land though so I'm not sure how much I can really show.

We do have some pretty hot ground here, places where I was forced to run Enhance or even use a DD. Since I'm totally mobile when I'm in AZ I just chose to seek out and stay in the easy ground (in my 4500 days) since I could run full bore everywhere and I knew most people around me (at the time) were staying in Fine Gold, which meant I was finding a lot that others were leaving behind. I got used to the geology and so as I expanded out, I tended to search for similar places, and so I end up detecting a lot of mild ground.

But it will be interesting to see how they do in some hotter ground next week. I'll still try to run in Normal if I can, and then adjust accordingly from there.

• Like 4

The subject has been done to death here G4G, suffice to say I was against the trivialising of the modification aspect of the adapter and the risks if things go wrong. To fix a blown GPZ is north of AU$3K, so not cheap. It would have been good to have been able to push the deal through on securing the proper leads but alas things didn’t work out for many multiples of reasons best left alone for sake of the forum.🥴

Originally I had a tech at ML do me a favour and build me an adapter so I could have a play, so yes that is true, they were curious at the time too.🙃

So in summary, I was never dead against the X coils and really like the guy who developed them, just the tacky politics and lack of full disclosure.

• Like 6