Challenge Completed And Missed Nuggets Found

jasong

2 minutes ago, jasong said:

I should have a chance to try them out on what some would consider medium to hot ground here in the US next week. It's not a place I've detected at all with the GPZ so I will start in Normal and adjust from there. It will be a fun trip with a bit of time to detect as well. It's a private invite to private land though so I'm not sure how much I can really show.

We do have some pretty hot ground here, places where I was forced to run Enhance or even use a DD. Since I'm totally mobile when I'm in AZ I just chose to stay in the easy ground since I could run full bore everywhere and I knew most people around me (at the time) were staying in Fine Gold, which meant I was finding a lot that others were leaving behind. I got used to the geology and so as I expanded out, I tended to search for similar places, and so I end up detecting a lot of mild ground.

But it will be interesting to see how they do in some hotter ground next week. I'll still try to run in Normal if I can, and then adjust accordingly from there.

Do you suffer from much EMI where you hunt?

Quartzsite actually wasn't too bad for EMI.

Gold Basin itself can be medium to bad EMI, though I don't spend a lot of time in it proper anymore. However, Vegas metro area is a city of 2+ million and while it's some distance to drive, as the crow flies it's actually quite close to places I detect. That and there is a steady stream of helicopters and other aircraft doing Grand Canyon tours. Plus a number of large transmission lines from the Hoover Dam as well as various solar projects, and now more recently one of the largest wind farms in the US is being constructed nearby. Plus we have a large Air Force base. The cheeky Black Hawk pilots buzzed me maybe 50ft above my head with a guy waving out the door once a few years ago but mostly they stay north I think.

Anyways, yeah. Tons of EMI out there, depending where I am at.

• Like 1

Yeah, I usually run a lower threshold and low smoothing with the 17" for that reason. I often don't go above 18 gain with it. But I also really don't like ratty thresholds.

I can kick my threshold up 5-6 notches, keep my gain at 20 with the 8" and have it be nice and stable still. It does great in EMI.

When I go on my next trip (in the hotter ground) I'm going to use this 17" at first to see if I can stay in Normal, try gains down to 6 or 8 or so if I have to. Then only switch to Difficult if the ground is still too hot.

• Like 2

Oh, the other things I've noticed is that the GPZ interferes with the 5000 from a good distance. But the 5000 has to be pretty close to the GPZ for the GPZ to start getting interference. 

I think the GPZ must have some EMI filtering going on behind the scenes that the GPX series didn't have, just as standard operation.

So that's another area I think the 6000 will definitely excel. Since they've had 6 years to improve what they already improved with the GPZ.

• Like 3

Jason I found on the initial EMI tune I make sure all electronic devices a switch on. That includes GPS, Radios, CB and most all my companion Metal Detector. This procedure has solved a lot of interference from other devices for both my self and others. 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, jasong said:

Oh, the other things I've noticed is that the GPZ interferes with the 5000 from a good distance. But the 5000 has to be pretty close to the GPZ for the GPZ to start getting interference. 

I think the GPZ must have some EMI filtering going on behind the scenes that the GPX series didn't have, just as standard operation.

So that's another area I think the 6000 will definitely excel. Since they've had 6 years to improve what they already improved with the GPZ.

I was trying to demo my GPX 4500 I was selling at Primm NV, and everything was working fine until all of a sudden EMI got so bad nothing worked. It wasn't until I was leaving after almost a no sale that I saw I was standing near a Tesla charging station and a car had pulled in for a recharge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, jasong said:

Yeah, I usually run a lower threshold and low smoothing with the 17" for that reason. I often don't go above 18 gain with it. But I also really don't like ratty thresholds.

I can kick my threshold up 5-6 notches, keep my gain at 20 with the 8" and have it be nice and stable still. It does great in EMI.

When I go on my next trip (in the hotter ground) I'm going to use this 17" at first to see if I can stay in Normal, try gains down to 6 or 8 or so if I have to. Then only switch to Difficult if the ground is still too hot.

I think we’ve discussed this before about Audio Smoothing Off. Why not just lower the Sensitivity and the Volume a few points to compensate rather than filter out edge of detection signals by raising the noise floor? I’ve experimented with this technique a fair bit even in quite variable soils and it works pretty well. I remember your not a fan of a twitchy threshold, so lowering the Threshold a touch will help too.

By lowering Sensitivity and Volume theoretically there should be a point where the threshold feedback noise should reach equivalency with the low smoothing and high sensitivity method.

Just my two cents. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, geof_junk said:

The old rule you need 64 times the power to double the depth so a little power reductions will not reduce the depth much at all, but will get rid of the noise.

Complete agree. I can't recall a single time where a target that I heard at gain 18 would not be heard at gain 12 or even 10. In particular with HY/normal/ smoothing off. I hardly ever use smoothing.

• Like 2