New To This Forum But Old To Detecting

TC-AZ

I've been detecting since 1974 and started with a radio shack build your own kit. Later I saved all my yard work money and purchased a Jetco Mustang. About a year later I was impressed with Whites detectors and their capability that I put one on lay-a-way. It was 5000/D coinmaster and from then on detecting took off. Over the years I have tried several brands but not committed to one brand exclusively. They all have their pros and cons which makes it interesting. 

I presently use a Nokta/Macro Impact and Whites XL Pro.

I reside in southern AZ since retiring (2018) from Albuquerque NM where I was born and raised. I am presently a member in good standing with the Albuq. Metal Detector Assoc. & Detectors Unlimited here in Tucson.

I've enjoyed detecting for many years and met some wonderful people who shared the same interests. I will continue to metal detect as long as I can for I truly enjoy this hobby.

Stay safe during this pandemic and Happy Hunting,  TC-AZ  Tony C. 

• Like 9

Hey Tony  

We are always glad to have guys like you that’s been around enjoying this great hobby of ours for a while. Just anytime you want to add to what’s going on you just step up and let us hear your opinion.

The Best To You!

Chuck 

3 hours ago, TC-AZ said:

I reside in southern AZ since retiring (2018) from Albuquerque NM where I was born and raised. I am presently a member in good standing with the Albuq. Metal Detector Assoc. & Detectors Unlimited here in Tucson.

Welcome, Tony!  Always good to see new members, whether newbies or veterans such as you.  What sub-fields of metal detecting are you active (and interested) in?

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Welcome, Tony!  Always good to see new members, whether newbies or veterans such as you.  What sub-fields of metal detecting are you active (and interested) in?

I hunt for relics, coinshoot parks, ghost towns, abandoned historic sites (permission of course). Tried my hand in gold panning too.  I have interest in detecting for gold. Since being retired, I definitely want to hunt beaches where alot of people congregate.

I have an extensive book collection on the subject of Ghost Towns, Lost Mines & Hidden Treasure, AZ & NM History and SW Civil War & Camp Sites. Especially interested in AZ & NM Tokens.  I have found some mostly in NM but not in AZ yet.

And always looking for the elusive Gold Coin!

TC-AZ

• Like 4

Hello and welcome Tony,

Looks like the "grass is always greener"!  I would like to hunt in the areas you hunt, as I'm 5 minutes from the beach in S. Florida!!  I like historic stuff, so I'm in the wrong place, for the most part!🤣

I'm looking forward to some of your stories and finds!👍👍

• Like 1

Glad to see you here Tony, and hope to see some of your finds.

Great part of the country where you are at.

Good luck and happy hunting.

16 hours ago, TC-AZ said:

I hunt for relics, coinshoot parks, ghost towns, abandoned historic sites (permission of course). Tried my hand in gold panning too.  I have interest in detecting for gold. Since being retired, I definitely want to hunt beaches where alot of people congregate.

So, in summary, all of it!  :biggrin:  You said that you have both an N/M Impact and a White's XL Pro.  I don't know anything about the latter but if it's like the XLT (which I found on the database -- see next sentence) then presumably primarily a coin detector due to a single digit kHz frequency -- characteristic of those.  Looking at Steve's extensive database of modern detectors I notice that the Impact is selectable frequency and that 20 kHz is one of those.  I would think that would make it a decent gold nugget detector since several models by other manufacturers marketed for that purpose (e.g. [newer]Fisher Gold Bug, Garrett AT/Gold, and Minelab X-Terra 705) operate around there.  What coil(s) do you have for your impact?  Oh, and I just found Steve's detailed review of the Impact where he discusses its abilities for natural gold detecting, along with many other features and capabilities.

Bottom line is that I think you are already well equipped (at least with the major purchases) to handle the detecting adventures you are planning.  I wish you good fortune in those and hope you'll post photos of the finds those result in.

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

So, in summary, all of it!  :biggrin:  You said that you have both an N/M Impact and a White's XL Pro.  I don't know anything about the latter but if it's like the XLT (which I found on the database -- see next sentence) then presumably primarily a coin detector due to a single digit kHz frequency -- characteristic of those.  Looking at Steve's extensive database of modern detectors I notice that the Impact is selectable frequency and that 20 kHz is one of those.  I would think that would make it a decent gold nugget detector since several models by other manufacturers marketed for that purpose (e.g. [newer]Fisher Gold Bug, Garrett AT/Gold, and Minelab X-Terra 705) operate around there.  What coil(s) do you have for your impact?  Oh, and I just found Steve's detailed review of the Impact where he discusses its abilities for natural gold detecting, along with many other features and capabilities.

Bottom line is that I think you are already well equipped (at least with the major purchases) to handle the detecting adventures you are planning.  I wish you good fortune in those and hope you'll post photos of the finds those result in.

My XL Pro runs at 6.592 kHz. It hits hard on silver!  White's  stopped making them about 12to 15 years ago, I think.  It shares the same freq. as the XLT but, the XLT has no control knobs, but has buttons on the control panel and LCD screen layout.  XL Pro has a analog meter w/needle.  XL Pro has 5 knobs, 1 toggle switch and 1 trigger switch for P.P.  This one of the best machines White's ever produced next to the DFX and lastly the Spectra V3i.  I use the BlackMax 950 and Bullseye 5.3 (6") concentric coils. 111404696_6000ProXL_3.thumb.jpg.90f0af450bfe9d76c8328950f79f654b.jpg

1438544147_xlprooverall.jpg.df405ac98dea4c1a1881f43207995ab1.jpg

For the Impact, I have the following coils: IM28 (11 x 7) elliptical; IM24 (9 1/2 x 5) elliptical and IM18c (7" dia.) concentric. The oper. freq. are 5, 14 and 20 kHz.

TC-NM

• Like 1

To all, Thanks for the kind words and welcoming me to a great website.

TC-AZ

p.s., excuse the typo error of TC-NM... Thinking I still live there, HA!