GPZ 7000 Threshold Setting Concerns

Chet

17 hours ago, Northeast said:

Somewhere in the deepest, darkest DP Forum threads JP mentions something like 'raising Volume by 1 notch is akin to raising the Sensitivity by 2'. 

I remember reading something along those lines too. When daybreak hits Australia if JP is around, I wonder if he might go into more depth there?

Like, it doesn't actually increase the TX or RX sensitivities right? It's still adjusting only the processed audio feed right? Or does the volume control on the GPZ actually have some tie to the actual sensitivity too?

• Like 2

I’ve tried running the 7000 a number of different ways and will still make a second or third pass trying different setting over an area I’ve hit a nugget, but most of the time have my best success running it conservative. I’ll run the threshold at 27, sensitively around 8 to start depending on soil as low as 5 or high as conditions permit, high yield, normal ground, smoothing off and locate patch filter on with volume set to 6 or 8, g/b semi auto. These settings give me fairly quiet running yet still plenty of feedback on ground noise while sensitive to very small targets. This tiny gold basin meteorite is an example of the sensitivity at these settings found down a couple of inches. 

95DF822E-08B0-47AC-8AAE-37BB95E22F67.jpeg

• Like 4

Chet, if you prefer a GPX5000 type smooth treshold, then use Lunk's settings for the 7000. That's as close as it can get.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chet said:

Mitchel, Lunk was one of my trainers; I have tried his settings but his Threshold of 35 is just too noisy for me

Chet, I have since lowered my threshold to 27/28; it's not nearly as intense and the target responses are more distinct.

• Like 4

Jonathan

What outstanding information!

Minelab should hire you to rewrite their manuals!

Good manuals sell products.

I will take this information to the field and put it to work. 

Thank you and have a great day,
Chet

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Normal has a much busier volume associated with the timings as such you will need to tweak the threshold and volumes dependant on your ground type. There is plenty of headroom to compensate for timing variability by using the Audio Smoothing as a control rather than going to the extreme of using Difficult.

Thanks, JP, another outstanding write up! Just to clarify, in cases where switching from normal/smoothing-off to difficult/smoothing-off is considered, you would try normal/smoothing-on first?

Thanks

• Like 1

That is the clearest most understandable explanation of those controls I have ever come across. It took careful thought to set out and probably quite a bit of time. Thank you.

• Like 3