Hello From Sw Washington

RiverRat

Hi all,  I'm new to the forum.   I discovered Detector Prospector a couple of days ago, and after reading a few of the articles Steve wrote, I decided that this sounds like the place to be.

I grew up in the central valley of California, and dad who was born and raised in Sonora CA took me with him to check out old mine tailings and panning on occasion when I was a kid.  Technically I'm a 5th gen prospector, but In reality I just learned some about panning and mining from my dad and grampa who both passed away by the time I was 21. My family was butt deep in it all right, though grampa was the last one to hold an active claim. One of the places I want to prospect is the tailing pile at my gr-gr-grampas mine near Yreka CA, as well as the creek running near it where my gr-grampa was born at camp there. Gr-grampa eventually worked at the Empire mine in Grass Valley Ca.

I went to a trade school for micro electronics a number of years ago and the new detectors interest me.  I'll be retiring in the next year or so and have been reading a lot about using metal detectors and well as using the internet to do research. 

Larry AKA RiverRat

• Like 7

Welcome aboard to the forum and glad that you are here.

Please show some of your finds in the future and tell us about them.

Washington is a nice place to hunt and wish you luck on your journey in this hobby.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Thanks fellas,  so metal detecting is new to me.  Still checking out what type of detector and coil to go with. Gathering a lot of great information here and other places as well as doing my research on the areas I want to prospect.  Loving youtube for all the great videos.  Leaning towards a Gold Bug 2 to start with. 

GB2 Nice starter rig ! Bet it pays for itself pronto where you plan on using it..

And I was serious about the ghost , IF you see one don't just stand there , remember what to say ! skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

Good luck to ya , keep the coil to the ground.........

• Haha 1

Awesome... Thanks!

By the way my gr-gr-grampa  did die on the property when they were felling a tree to build/make improvements to the mine, so who knows, maybe he'll tell me where the big-un is.... 😆

There IS a possibility of large nuggets in that area.  According to one of the newspaper articles I found about his mine, they found a nugget right near their claim that was reported to be 12 inches long and 2 to 3 inches across.

I say bring it on!

• Oh my! 1

Welcome Larry, were always glad to see and hear from new people. Your family history is awesome. I'm not a gold guy, but I'm sure Steve and the gang will point you in the right direction. I wish you the best of luck finding another big nugget and don't brush off the great great grampa thing, sometimes they do point in the right direction.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, RiverRat said:

Thanks fellas,  so metal detecting is new to me.  Still checking out what type of detector and coil to go with. Gathering a lot of great information here and other places as well as doing my research on the areas I want to prospect.  Loving youtube for all the great videos.  Leaning towards a Gold Bug 2 to start with. 

Welcome, RR. (BTW, I there is another poster -- from Great Britain -- with a similar username, think it's 'rivers rat'.  Nothing wrong with that as there are lots of cases here where people have very similar usernames.  Just warning there may be a bit of confusion until people realize there are two of you.  😁)

Regarding your choice of detectors, IMO you are doing things right by studying the information first, and this site is probably the best one out there, at least for gold detectors but maybe for all modern detectors.  In the old (pre-internet) days there were dealers all around you could visit but only a few of those remain and I don't know if there are any close to you.  Even back then you often had to shop around since a lot of dealers only had one or two brands and of course they would steer you towards those.  Two active members here who are multiline dealers are Gerry McMullen and Rob Allison (I've linked their store websites.)  A phonecall or two isn't a bad idea, IMO.

• Like 2