Hello From Sw Washington

RiverRat

Welcome Larry,

Somehow i missed your intro a week or so ago! But love the family history! Sometime, if you get the chance to post some pictorial family history! That would be great! Sounds like you are on your way to some amazing discoveries!

Good luck! Keep us posted! And ask lots of questions, if you need help! Those are free!👍👍

• Like 1

Joe D,

I just happen to have a photo of my gr-gr-grandfather Jeremiah Heckethorn and his wife.  His is the mine i mentioned that is just a ways outside Yreka. I have newspaper articles that mention their mine which was named Mountain King. I'm one article it mentions that he and his brother had made arrangements to have their ore crushed at a crusher on the north side of Yreka and that one wagon load had brought them $1300.          Not bad for the 1880's!

Larry

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum RR. 

What part of SW WA?  I am a Washington native (Vancouver, WA for 22 years before moving to Houston about 2 years ago).  

Looking forward to hearing about you detecting adventures!

~Tim

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 7:13 PM, Tiftaaft said:

Welcome to the forum RR. 

What part of SW WA?  I am a Washington native (Vancouver, WA for 22 years before moving to Houston about 2 years ago).  

Looking forward to hearing about you detecting adventures!

~Tim

Thanks Tim,. I'm originally from French Camp, CA. I moved to Hillsboro, Oregon in '89 then to Longview, WA in Dec 2017. Y family were N.W. pioneers before becoming prospectors.  I've been doing my homework on the area around where my family prospected outside of Yreka. Some of the old topo maps show tunnel,  and prospect  locations, and the CA State geology books are really helpful.  I have 13 months until I pull the plug and retire so I can go for it!  Lucky 13!  

• Like 2

RR,

Lucky number 13 indeed! That is very exciting... I have always wanted to delve into the prospecting world more, but not living near "Gold Country", I haven't yet committed to plan any prospecting trips... hopefully in my future... I have been mostly a old coin and relic and some jewelry hunter (Parks, Schools, Fields, some beach hunting).  Your family history and passed down knowledge is incredible... I hope you find your family cache!  

While living in Vancouver, I worked in Longview for 15 years before moving here (the old Weyerhaeuser Mill Site - now Nippon... on the chlorine plant, now Westlake Chemical) - it was an easy daily commute compared to Houston traffic!!  I know the Longview area well, and spent countless hours detecting around that area.  I do miss the NW.  ~Tim

Tim, that's awesome. I spent time doing asbestos abatement and concrete at Longview Fiber, then Capstone.

You mentioned relic hunting.  Have you detected around old homesteads? If so what detector do you use and how did you do?  I'm interested in that as well.  My mom is from Jones County Miss. If you saw the movie Free State of Jones, that's about one branch of my family. The main character played by Matthew Mcconaughey was my gr-gr-grandmothers cousin Newt Knight, and she later married one of his men. Getting back to relic hunting, there was a legend that one of my gr-gr-gr-grandmothers after her husband died, was a woman of some wealth and was known to bury her money during the civil war, a story in the family that she couldn't find where she had buried it.  I researched it and know where her hone property was. I'm planning on going there after I retire to visit family. I bet you know what I'm going to try to do. Just got to get permission.

I just realized I need to check out past posts in this forum about cache hunting. I need to bone up on it.

• Like 3

My relic hunting really coincides with my old coin hunting... so I mainly use the Equinox 800... but sometimes beep and dig with one of my Tesoro units..  I have found that the Equinox is a great jack of all trades... while some other lines may be better tuned to relics... for the type of ground I normally hunt, the Equinox does well in sorting through the iron, and aluminum trash.  I have hunted a few locations that were originally homesteads... would love to do more of that.  I am always fascinated with the bits and bobs that come out of the ground telling the story of life from the era it was dropped.  

My comment about the "family cache" obviously was without the knowledge that there is a tale of a cache in your family history... my "family cache" consists of a sandwich baggie of coins I buried in my Mom's backyard when I was about 8 years old... try as I might everytime I visit here... I have yet to find my hoard...hahaha.  My guess... 37 cents of clad.  😉 .

If you need a hunting partner when you get permission for your gr-gr-gr-grandmother's buried savings... just sayin'  🙂 . 

But seriously, I hope you get the chance to recover your family's legend.

BTW, I know exactly the movie and the character you are talking about... What an amazing legacy your family has.  

~Tim. 

On 2/14/2021 at 12:12 PM, RiverRat said:

I just realized I need to check out past posts in this forum about cache hunting. I need to bone up on it.

You might want to pick up this Charles Garrett book.  I doubt there will be anything earth shattering (no pun intended) but just one tip you don't find elsewhere could easily be worth the $10 price.