Ctx3030 With The 17inch Coil Vs Sdc2300 In Saltwater

So back to an Excal?

I very much like my CTX/17 for wet sand hunting and I use it with a hip stick.  The GPS lets me return to old spots accurately and remember previous ring finds.  I don't think it would be easy to control the coil underwater.

It is now simpler for me to grab my Equinox/15 and use it without assistance but I get similar depth and I think I have found more gold in Beach 1 than I was finding with the regular use of the CTX.  I slow down more with the Equinox than I did with the CTX so if I go back to an occasional use of the CTX slower is a way to go.

The 15 really isn't an underwater coil.

There is a rumor that the Silver Slayer from Minelab is going to be an underwater beach machine.  It that were true I'd be waiting on that unit.

10 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I very much like my CTX/17 for wet sand hunting and I use it with a hip stick.  The GPS lets me return to old spots accurately and remember previous ring finds.  I don't think it would be easy to control the coil underwater.

It is now simpler for me to grab my Equinox/15 and use it without assistance but I get similar depth and I think I have found more gold in Beach 1 than I was finding with the regular use of the CTX.  I slow down more with the Equinox than I did with the CTX so if I go back to an occasional use of the CTX slower is a way to go.

There is a rumor that the Silver Slayer from Minelab is going to be an underwater beach machine.  It that were true I'd be waiting on that unit.

I have a bit of drag under water with the 17 inch coil but its manageable,its certainly a beast.What do you mean by Minelab silver slayer machine? which model is it?

There is no model number.  It was just expressed as a hope that the name Minelab reserved would be used on a new waterproof detector but it is a long shot.

http://themetaldetectingshow.com/rumours-2021/ 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 1/31/2021 at 8:44 PM, mn90403 said:

Its true neither the CTX or the NOX process a big coil signal all that well.  Ive found that breaking up the NOX audio by running 5 tone helps.  With the CTX something like an Andy's beach prog in the p2 run N/S gets good depth.  in any of the modes that have a lot of screen blocked out there is the potential of overrunning even shallow targets.  
Going in after with a pulse is shocking. .

cjc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, cjc said:

Its true neither the CTX or the NOX process a big coil signal all that well.  Ive found that breaking up the NOX audio by running 5 tone helps.  With the CTX something like an Andy's beach prog in the p2 run N/S gets good depth.  in any of the modes that have a lot of screen blocked out there is the potential of overrunning even shallow targets.  
Going in after with a pulse is shocking. .

cjc

Lol...I've been saying that for 2 years now. Beach 2 , in 2 tone ,  in the wet is where it's at. Once the Nox users got some time under their coils and yet I still see many running down the beach with them. Some are looking for a coin line or patch. The majority are still rookies wondering why they don't find gold. When conditions warrant , I get all geeked up going behind these guys with my PI.

• Like 2

ya 2 tone is a good way to really get a feel for how this machine is performing--and the lower weighted B2 is just plain smoother.  with the big coil though the tuning has  to be really exact,  interesting to see Leighton H talking about running the Coiltek  coils way down at 16/17-- I thought that my 19 was low.  big difference in how signals enter and sound though--less confounded by all the processing. cjc

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

99.9% of my hunting is and has been done on saltwater beaches for many years...to include shallow water.  Over those years, I've used the CTX, Excal, EQX 800, XP Deus and a PI. 

Bottom line: The PI drove me crazy digging the deep trash that one finds all over the beach and the selectable frequency Deus is not a true beach machine compared to mutli frequency Minelabs .  I'll stick with the CTX or EQX for dry, wet and shallow water and the Excal for deeper hunting...regardless of coil size.

Just the view from my beachy foxhole....YMMV

• Like 4