Waterproof Headphones: Minelab Yellow Or Pelsos?

I’ve been reading up on Equinox waterproof headphones as I will finally have the opportunity to try it at the beach in the next few months. 

I plan to wade with it for the most part but the unit might get dunked some as I’m still within warranty and want to make sure I don’t have a leaky one...  I’ll have a Seahunter as backup or if I ever want to snorkel with it for extended periods.  Probably will only do this a couple times a year in the near future. 

I’ve read good things about the Pelsos as a waterproof above water with the occasional dunk, $50 bucks less new. I’ve read the Yellow Minelabs are not very loud.  Different tech, speakers vs piezo.  On the Pelsos I’ve read they come with a long cord  that a good thing?  Hopefully not too annoyingly long?

Thoughts?

Pelsos - not only louder, but the sound is higher fidelity so that you can differentiate the low and high tones better.  The long cord enables you to secure it to and run it along the rear length of the shaft so that it comes up to your ears behind and out of the way of your swing arm.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, nickeldNdimed said:

On the Pelsos I’ve read they come with a long cord  that a good thing?  Hopefully not too annoyingly long?

Thoughts?

No matter what. The most important item for the beach is headphones that kill the outside sound.  Minelab yellows do not have that ability. Speakers in phones with -25db and more is where it is at. 

• Like 3

Pelsos all the way.  Chase & Midalake advice is right on.  Love my Pelsos.  Even though you plan on wading you still have to contend with waves and splashing so waterproof headphones are still the smart choice.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, nickeldNdimed said:

Assuming that is just a personal choice and otherwise the same functionality?

Yes.  Pelsos were originally imported by KellyCo from that source.  I don't believe KCo carries them any more.

• Like 1

All the Pelsos i saw on Ebay (three colors) were $69.00 plus $28.00 shipping from Hungary! Are these legit? Is there another or cheaper source??👍👍

4 hours ago, Joe D. said:

All the Pelsos i saw on Ebay (three colors) were $69.00 plus $28.00 shipping from Hungary! Are these legit? Is there another or cheaper source??👍👍

Considering Kellyco sold them for well over $100, I'd say not a bad price including the international shipping.  As far as legitimate.  Well, that's always a concern with ebay.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

5My pelsos and a friend of mines both broke within 6 months. 20 hours a week detecting.  Would not recommend.

Edit: also uncomfortable after 2-3 hours of hunting they'd hurt my ears. They are very loud though.

I agree with Chase. I have both and the Pelsos are much better in every regard.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Purplehays69
      Got em today and am blown away so far with music...... Sounds like Dave Matthews voice is in the middle of my head..... WOW.....
    • By pinpointa
      E-mailed Centerville Electronics about Whites replaceable covers for ear muffs. No reply. Does any one know where i can get covers from .I am in Australia. Regards.
    • By mn90403
      Has anyone tried them with a metal detector?
      I came across an article which displayed some Bose audio sunglasses.  The concept was not something I had really considered but when you read about them they are built for athletes that need to be aware of their surroundings to avoid accidents.  We detect in areas where we need to avoid accidents and critters also so hearing outside of headphones is beneficial.  This would also have the potential of eliminating hot and or uncomfortable headphones for me in the desert.  I don't think they could work well at the beach with crashing waves.
      Maybe we can begin a review of these Bose and other audio sunglasses here.  Of course there would need to be some with LL and other technical specifications to work with our equipment but it could also be a new product idea for one of these companies. 

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/frames/bose-frames-tempo.html#D61A74D4CFE947DB6685D4D8CE1982FC 
    • By Nokta Detectors
      Dear Valued Members,

We are adding 2 new headphones to our line-up.

1)NOKTA MAKRO KOSS HEADPHONES W/WATERPROOF CONNECTOR
      Compatible with all waterproof Nokta Makro Detectors – Kruzer/Anfibio/Simplex
      Allows the user to submerge the whole detector in water for shallow underwater hunting.
      (The headphones are not waterproof).

2)NOKTA MAKRO KOSS HEADPHONES W/6.3mm JACK – for land use

BOTH HEADPHONES HAVE IN-LINE VOLUME CONTROL, ADJUSTABLE HEADBAND and SPIRAL CABLE.

• By dbsmokey
      Last week,  I attempted to power on the ML 80 headphones I use with the Equinox 800.  I purchased these new in March 2019.  They would not power on.  I charged them:  the 3 red LEDs flash for about 10 minutes and then turn off, as if headphones were charged.  But, the headphones still will not power on.
      I attempted to contact my dealer and ML, but neither have yet responded.  Does anybody have any novel ideas to try, or troubleshooting, remedies?  I would greatly appreciate the help!

Thanks,
    • By Condor
      Over the years we've touched on the difference between High Impedance vs. Low Impedance headphones.  Historically, the headphones designed for detecting have been High Impedance, and all were equipped with 1/4 inch headphone plug.   Everyone developed a preference for their brand because of the way they fit and sound.  These days more detectors are set up for the 1/8 inch headphone plugs and a few detecting headphones have offered that choice.  The technology is clearly moving away from all wired headphones in favor of wireless.  The market is really directed at music and communication devices, not detecting.  I'm just curious how the impedance issue affects the newer technology.  The latency of wireless is a completely separate discussion, but may be necessary to understand the importance of Impedance.  
      I have always used in ear monitors rather than over the ear headphones.  It's just more practical in the desert environment of sunny Yuma.  The majority of "ear buds" for lack of a better term are low impedance designed for listening to music on low powered handheld players.  The high impedance ear monitors are available but quite expensive.  The GPZ tends to overpower el cheapo ear buds and produces a really unpleasant sound. 
      My question is twofold: what was our understanding of the importance of Impedance in the old days with wired headphones and how/if that has changed with wireless.