Sand / Beach Scoops?

I still have some time before my trip. I’ll try calling them and see what they say. I’d love to stop by their shop but wrong coast for me. And really any metal detector shop. 

For a little more than the Nokta or Scoopal the RTGs just look more durable and made in the states. I know some versions they will even add a stainless edge to as well. 

On the retention part and detent, yeah, I can see that happening. The Scoopal, Nokta, and even the travel carbon poles are line that though. I think one of those pull handles attached below the joint could be nice as well. 

A lot of the more experienced beach hunters or Florida FB pages I follow the answer is always Stealth with carbon pole. Like I have said, if that was my main hunting, I would be shopping differently and with a different budget. Not really wanting to spend over $300 on something I’ll use a fee times a year for a few hours when I visit family.  

• Like 2

Agree Nick,

Most of my hunting is at the beach, so i sprung early for a T-Rex Stainless! I would not suggest that for you! 

Also something you can add at any time is a adjustable handle attachment to your straight handle! That will take some of the stress off the top of the handle, and bring it lower!

How you will use your scoop is also as important as the one you select!

What i mean by that is; on shore in dry sand, some people lift their scoop and shake the sand out! And on wet sand, sift the sand out in the water! Other's do like me, in dry or wet sand, and simply lift a little, and use a foot to knock the sand out of the scoop, onto the beach! Than spread the sand out with a quick kick, and locate the target! 

To each there own! But it goes much faster than lifting and shaking the sand out! And with a lot less chance for injury, and fatigue!! I've done it this way for 6 years with no ill effects! And my detector arm will always fatigue faster than my scoop arm!👍👍

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Agree Nick,

Most of my hunting is at the beach, so i sprung early for a T-Rex Stainless! I would not suggest that for you! 

Also something you can add at any time is a adjustable handle attachment to your straight handle! That will take some of the stress off the top of the handle, and bring it lower!

How you will use your scoop is also as important as the one you select!

What i mean by that is; on shore in dry sand, some people lift their scoop and shake the sand out! And on wet sand, sift the sand out in the water! Other's do like me, in dry or wet sand, and simply lift a little, and use a foot to knock the sand out of the scoop, onto the beach! Than spread the sand out with a quick kick, and locate the target! 

To each there own! But it goes much faster than lifting and shaking the sand out! And with a lot less chance for injury, and fatigue!! I've done it this way for 6 years with no ill effects! And my detector arm will always fatigue faster than my scoop arm!👍👍

Thanks for the suggestions on technique.  I’ve seen on various videos. I’ll have to see what works for me. Floating strainer seems neat for waist deep as well but keeping it simple for now and a decent travel scoop.

Probably focus on dry and shallow wet with the time I have available. My only experience so far was with a Garrett hand scoop that within a few hours Bent in several areas. Luckily I was given store credit/return on it as it was very disappointing for the price. 

I’m sure I’ll update on my selection, experience, and finds!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What about something like this:

CKG Travel Scoop

I got a CKG like this but with a slightly smaller scoop to use on vacation to the beach and it works great for me and easily packs into a suitcase. 

• Like 2

I bought a CooB  Shark V10 scoop, and added a PVC pipe with a solid Bamboo dowel inside. Put a Raptor pull handle on it. I've seen others use these for river hunting, which is what I plan to do in the spring, maybe sooner. I'm hoping it's strong enough for the silty muck in the river near my house. I also got a floating strainer to dump what I've scooped in. The CooB is 2mm stainless, and big enough for a beginner 😀 I imagine you could put many different handles on it for different uses, this is pretty much a river rig.

20201108_154907.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/9/2021 at 8:58 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

What about something like this:

CKG Travel Scoop

I got a CKG like this but with a slightly smaller scoop to use on vacation to the beach and it works great for me and easily packs into a suitcase. 

How does the pole attach to the scoop?

Also, is it pretty rigid or is it flexy?  I think I saw a few reviews where it said it was flexy at the pole joint. 

Price is in the ballpark but I’m still leaning RTG Blade or Pro. I think more leaning towards the Blade model. 

5 hours ago, nickeldNdimed said:

How does the pole attach to the scoop?

Also, is it pretty rigid or is it flexy?  I think I saw a few reviews where it said it was flexy at the pole joint. 

Price is in the ballpark but I’m still leaning RTG Blade or Pro. I think more leaning towards the Blade model. 

The pole attaches with a single bolt. Mine is nice and tight and light weight. I had one with a stainless steel handle and it got heavy and hot in the Florida sun, so I got the carbon fiber travel handle and never looked back. I also installed a grab handle just below the joint and use that to pull up with and I never worry about the pole breaking. Here's a link:

MOTUS T-grip

and here's another one:

Raptor Pull

These things make the pole so much easier to lift and pull the heavy wet sand.

HTH

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my RTG Blade today. Seller sent me the non-travel version first which was nice (and a little lighter) but I wanted the travel handle. 

Seems built really well. Good size.  Does have a little play in the overlapping lower part of joint so I may try some teflon or electrical taper to see if I can reduce that.  I don’t think it will be an issue though or I’ll notice while using.  We’ll see soon. 

022D6605-D90E-4F14-A7CA-D33848B3140B.jpeg

0126F978-6099-4001-8E38-D7F4B82D549E.jpeg

0923736B-12E8-4E9B-8B16-9D4379C7A8DC.jpeg

• Like 5

Nice looking scoop. All aluminum so is lighter.

• Like 1