GPZ 7000 Menu Items ( Settings ) Explained In Detail - Video Examples

I’ve done a bunch of research online and I just can’t seem to find this. Does anybody know if there is a detailed video on each of the menu items/settings for the GPZ along with examples in real world environments? I realize that when I’m out in the field now, after continually reading this forum, that I kind of stick to the same settings that I’ve been using for a long time (except for changing between high-yield and general, as well as normal and difficult).  It’s winter time, I am bored and I’d like to learn more on my GPZ 🤣🤣.  Even if this is not a YouTube video and it’s some thing I can purchase I’d be willing to do that as well!  

• Like 2

89 views and counting.......nothing 🤣.  Atleast I know my research was accurate.  Looks like I’m gonna have to do an intense forum search and pick out everything I can.........or I can be researching more gold areas instead 😂.  Winter sucks!

• Like 1

Not many combos are worse than gold fever and cabin fever; been there, done that!🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Man, the title sure is click bait, I came looking for the video, but I’m sure there will be good answers following. 🙂

It’s a good question though.  Several of us would like such a video!

I keep a bunch of notes on my phone for it for quick reference, but they are limited in that there’s just a limited explanation for how and where they work.

It's not exactly what you are looking for, but I made a video the first month or so of the GPZ release in 2015 to demonstrate the difference between Normal and Difficult, and why people should always run in Normal anytime they can, since I was trying (unsuccesfully at the time) to explain this on the forum. If you want a good demonstration of the difference between those settings, give this a watch. This was on an undug 10 grammer, with some cubic crystalline structure once it was cleaned.

Excuse the potato quality $75 cell phone camera I filmed this on, I didn't have any kind of decent equipment or tripods at the time.

I was also experimenting with no threshold at the time as well as low smoothing as a way alleviate the wet salty ground issue while still being able to run Normal and high sensitivity, something which worked ok. Especially since some may recognize the horizon that is briefly shown and realize that this particular nugget came out of a spot that some very experienced and respected detectorists had just gridded with the GPZ before I got there in. Pretty sure I remember them telling me they were running in Difficult, which is why this nugget was missed.

J Gold did a similar video around the same time on the difference between High Yield and General, I believe Youtube links it in the related videos, but it's here:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks jasong!  Maybe since I can’t find an all in one video we could collect many videos to this thread and have a one stop shop.  I also got thinking that if we have all this information that more people out there with a Z could definitely experiment and get better which might provide better analysis/comparison with the X6 when it comes out.  Some people might not be using their Z to the maximum extent (myself included) and therefore have a different experience thinking that the Z is not as good as the X6 or vice versa.  I think I’m one of the odd people. I came into this game right when the Z came out and I bought an SDC at the time because that is all I could afford (used for 1800, stellar deal now probably back then too). So I have never used the 4500 or 5000 or any of the earlier detectors. So the Z for me has always been a brand new experience.  I have had really good success with the Z but I want to be even better with it! I just don’t have the time to practice as much as I would like so in the off-season I need to be reading, learning and researching.

Thanks and keep’em coming!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Man, the title sure is click bait.....

Yeah I did that I’m purpose LOL I learned how to market from Minelab and Apple LOL

• Haha 2

• The title was changed to GPZ 7000 Menu Items ( Settings ) Explained In Detail - Video Examples

Extra Deep silently weeps alone in the corner, the one setting no one ever talks about.  😄

I've only used it for 2 things really. First, to filter out smaller, shallow targets same way I used Salt Coarse on the 4500. Second I've also switched into it as a sort of target depth or size gauge, which actually kinda works but it's slow navigating so I don't do it often since it's usually quicker to just dig.

If anyone has a video of that setting picking up a nugget under 1 ounce in Normal, deeper and with a better signal than any other mode, I'd be curious to see it.

• Like 3

Xtra Deep has a much longer delay before it starts to sample so a lot of ground noise is removed and also salt signal. I use it a lot in our ground when I want to go over an area in Normal but the ground noises are too dominant. The sorts of places where Difficult feels like it is lacking in any real depth (the ground signals are virtually non existent) but where HY Normal and General Normal are way too aggressive. Usually homogeneous places are best for this, ground that has a mantle of decomposed sandstone or saprolite with the mineralised gravel layer between, preferably in dry conditions.

Usually in situations like this I lower sensitivity to somewhere like 6 and lower my Volume level by 3 or 4 points to tone down the threshold variation even a apply some Audio Smoothing and just specifically chase solid signals that sound deep. Have pulled some nice gold this way before I’ve run out of steam digging faint ground nosies.

JP

• Like 7