Throw Away Those Metal Detectors And Use A Bit Of Wire Instead

Great article Eric.  I have known two diviners from my earlier days up in the Mother Lode when I was dredging during multiple summers. One fellow and he was at quite an advanced age (in body only), was a water diviner that many of the well diggers in Mariposa County used, and it was really fun to hear him talk about how and what he did as he worked…very much in the manner of the man in the article. The other man, also older, said he divined for gold and apparently according to him, was quite successful, but I never saw him work. It's pretty much a lost art.

• Like 4

Right on the money Steve. I'm a former member of the Australian Skeptics and nobody ever has managed to collect the considerable prize money our patron Dick Smith offered. I believe the late magician and skeptic James Randi had a similar unclaimed offer in the US

Interesting how claimed paranormal powers (Like divining) become little more than random chance events under controlled conditions.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Why look for gold when you can get between $100,000 to a million dollars by just showing up and proving it works? Never happens, and that’s all I need to know. There are various excuses for that, which are exactly, that. Excuses. That’s my opinion, it no doubt differs from others, and that’s fine. My preference is everyone use dowsing to look for gold and leave me to my detectors. :smile:

I have tried it but its not like many say it works. . The rods are moved by hot rocks and heavy minerilization and gold. 

Basically Anything that its metalic. 

I have also used it in dredging and noticed i was able to locate virgen ground in a river with the rods.  

They wont active where we have dredged before. 

I marked an area and dredge it and we continue to find virgen ground in a paystreak. 

• Like 4

Sometimes while swinging my Minelab divining rod it amazes me how it suddenly turns me  off at 90° and find a nugget up to 100 meters away😉. But have had no success with the bought or homemade ones.😭 

It was a great article Eric.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Divine rods for gold , not to sure about that but I do know form experience that some counties do use divine rods to locate old clay pipes underground. I was working on a kitchen remodel back in the 90's when I observed a contractor with the city of Thousand Oaks use these rods to locate old clay water / sewage pipes under the asphalt in the streets. I stopped what I was doing, got off my ladder and walked out of the house to investigate. I headed straight to the fella with the hard hat and orange vest holding divine rods and asked him what he was doing. He basically said an old timer former employee of the company taught him how to use them and that many counties hire their service to locate pipes primaily. He admitted he was at first skeptical " totally understandable" but after a while he got good at it so there he was upside down can of paint marking the locations for the backhoe operator to dig the asphalt and remove the pipes. True story. Here in Mariposa County well drillers and land owners  still hire these folks to locate the best source of water on their properties in order to drill the well. 

• Like 7

Imagine the multimillion dollar a month salary this dude would be making from the petrochemical and mineral industry if this was even remotely possible. These stories are quaint and cute as they tell tales of old traditions, but anyone who thinks they describe an actual phenomenon is getting sold up snake oil river. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

always fails on closer examination.

I have literally walked with this guy in Mariposa and saw him "witch" water. They dug a well on the spot he recommended after having trouble locating where to dig and they got water at the needed level. I knew the people that hired him and I saw him do it (at another place too). Some things can't be rationally explained, but that does not mean they aren't real and don't work.

• Like 6

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked