Detectors That You Used In 2020 ?

All the high end Minelabs for gold, as well as CTX3030, Equinox 800, Impact, Anfibio, Gold Kruzer, and even a little playing with the Quest30. 

On 1/31/2021 at 8:48 PM, Chuck M said:

I'm new to the hobby, started late in 2020 but I used the Fisher F22 then bought a Minelab Vanquish 540 pro pack 

How do you like the Vanquish compared to the F22?  I still love to take my F22 out occasionally instead of my 600. Looking to try a Vanquish sometime. 

Equinox 800 and 600 - all three coil sizes

Vanquish 540

Tesoro Vaquero Black w its z-lynk

Garrett Carrot with z-lynk option

Hope to get out with the ATX a little (or a lot) in 2021.  

Since I am new at this and using grandfathers equipment I can say I have only used the 800 for about 40 hours total so far. Wait until the end of 2021 to see how much time I get on it as I know it will be a lot.

• Like 3

I used my 800 about 80% of the time and my QED PL3 the other 20%. Had this not been such a strange year with all the travel restrictions and health concerns, I would likely have used the QED a bit more. At any rate, I am convinced these two detectors will do everything I need in the field. I sold three of the 5 other detectors I owned and plan to keep only my EX ll in addition to the 800 and QED.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 8:41 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

My hunt logs say I coin, jewelry and relic detected for 1,354 hours last year.....somehow metal detecting seemed to be a good activity during a pandemic and during the loss of two part-time jobs.

At least a thousand hours was with the Equinox 800. Most of the rest was with the XP Deus. A little was with the Garrett AT Gold and the new Vanquish models. I did try out the Simplex and sold it (not because I didn't like it, I just don't need it.) The same thing happened to my Nokta Makro Gold Kruzer and XP ORX.........I have a Nox, Deus and rock solid waterproof AT Gold. I don't need those other detectors.

On the PI front, my son and I together bought a Minelab SDC 2300 with his military discount. It got about 100 hours of use in the gold fields of Colorado which are not included in my 1,354 hours. We both liked the SDC 2300 somewhat, but did not like the unbalanced weight or the unstable threshold/over sensitivity to EMI. We both agreed to let it go. In late November a Whites dealer who had bought all of Whites-Oregon's test models (brands other than Whites) put a QED PL3 on Ebay. I made a deal with him and now have a basically brand new QED PL3 to play with for way less than half the price of a new one. Simon really helped me with some unbiased encouragement since he knows the QED and the SDC pretty well. More to come on the QED PL3.

Jeff, in your opinion which is best between the Minelab Vanquish 540 pro pack or Simplex. I dont hunt in the water. 

4 hours ago, Chuck M said:

Jeff, in your opinion which is best between the Minelab Vanquish 540 pro pack or Simplex. I dont hunt in the water. 

That totally depends on what you are hunting for, how trashy the area is (especially iron trash) and what kind of climate and mineralization you deal with. 

For me and my hunting conditions (fairly dry climate and very mineralized dirt) if I could only afford one detector of the two you mentioned and I only wanted to hunt coin sized objects or bigger in moderately or less trashy areas, and I needed really accurate numerical and tone target IDs down to 10"+ deep, I would pick the Vanquish 540 Pro Pack. 

If I hunted in damp or rainy areas where waterproofing or at least weather proofing was important, I was mostly relic hunting in moderate to thick iron trash on old sites with moderate to mild mineralization, and I needed a threshold based all metal mode, faster recovery speed, better target separation and didn't care too much about accurate tone and numerical target IDs, I would pick the Simplex with wireless headphones.

14 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

That totally depends on what you are hunting for, how trashy the area is (especially iron trash) and what kind of climate and mineralization you deal with. 

For me and my hunting conditions (fairly dry climate and very mineralized dirt) if I could only afford one detector of the two you mentioned and I only wanted to hunt coin sized objects or bigger in moderately or less trashy areas, and I needed really accurate numerical and tone target IDs down to 10"+ deep, I would pick the Vanquish 540 Pro Pack. 

If I hunted in damp or rainy areas where waterproofing or at least weather proofing was important, I was mostly relic hunting in moderate to thick iron trash on old sites with moderate to mild mineralization, and I needed a threshold based all metal mode, faster recovery speed, better target separation and didn't care too much about accurate tone and numerical target IDs, I would pick the Simplex with wireless headphones.

Thanks Jeff for your opinion. I have a real concern with the tones on the Simplex, they are horrible in my opinion.