You Know You Are Getting Old When You Have To Deal With Heel Cracks

mn90403

This is really more of a medical topic than a detecting topic but it affects my detecting.  The problem is that I wear sandals (others are like me) much of the time and the bottom of my feet have dried out recently for whatever reason and the skin cracks.  This affects me when wearing rubber boots on the beach and also my detecting boots which is little recently.

I've put some moisturizer on my feet and also 'shaved off' some of the dryness but it has come back.  There is a VA nurse here who probably wears sandals more than I do.  

Has he had this problem?

Have any of you had such a problem? 

• Like 1

Big time!

Same issues.. 

i had to start using a Vaseline type grease... heavy grease .. petroleum Like the original. Every night.. I hate using it

but I get to the point where I can’t walk.... I even got cellulitis two months ago when I jumped in a horse trough with all the primordial soup that was brewing in it....

So it ain’t no joke... 

Never happens in WA that I remember.... must be a different type “dry” heat🤠🤣

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

I can remember my first crack about 3 months ago when I stepped on a kids toy.  Then they started cracking naturally and on both feet.  It does get more than irritating ... downright painful.  I looked it up online after I used some liquid bandage on a couple of them.  That is when I rasped some of the thickness down but I forgot about them for 3-4 days and they are back!  😗

Gentlemen it’s just one of many of the problems of getting old . You have one problem and another with a different problem. Just be careful that the screw that holds your butt on don’t rust off and whole butt don’t fall off.

I tell my 98 year old mother I know she has lots of problems but so many half her age can’t get around at all. 

You going to have to use some heavy cream and if can three times a day if not more. This just didn’t happen to you over night but like a sleeping giant it woke up.

It’s some cream you can get at a feed store called utter cream that may help. The name is true and you may find it at a drugstore or a place like Tractor Supply.

I’ll be at my moms Tuesday and I’ll take a picture then post it.

Chuck 

• Thanks 1

Use a urea cream, place it on at night and wear socks to bed.  Usually 5-7 days of this and the problem is well on the way to being sorted.  

Never found general moisturiser to be much good. 

Eulactol is a brand we have in Aus.  You would have the same or similar in the US I’m sure. 

You can of course put it on the morning and wear socks and shoes but that would eat into your sandal time 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You don't have to be old to get heel cracks.

I commercially fished from age 28 to 40. Feet getting wet / dry / wet / dry caused terrible and painful heel cracks. Lots of Nivea moisturiser to get rid of them.

If you've avoided them till older age then you have been lucky !

Cheers,

Rick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Heel socks” or “sole mates” are a good fix -Amazon

• Thanks 1

A trick I learned in a book I was reading maybe 30 years ago that really does work if you want to try it.   Put Vaseline on your feet before you put your socks and boots on.  It feels funny when you first put your boots on but after 10 min you don`t notice it and your feet will improve greatly.     All the best.   Rolls

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1