New Equinox Coils From Coiltek

12 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

Well hmmmm.  I swear i read about that.  Oh well guess I could sell off the Nox15 and get Coiltek’s 15” and just have the best of both worlds without question.

Really want the 10x5, could have used it yesterday at one of the old hydro pits.

I've said stuff like I use the 15" for coverage and any depth is a bonus. Depending on soil and target size all coils can surprise in different scenarios, but just trust me on this - the larger the coil, the deeper it goes in general, as long as adverse conditions do not prevent that from happening. On tiny objects, you get more depth with small coils. The point being, nothing different about Equinox versus other detectors in that regard, no built in depth limiter.

coiltek-searcj-coils-for-minelab-equinox.jpg

• Like 6

I'd say no matter what coil you have on an Equinox it will pay for the coil and the machine!  You can order an extra coil and it will get paid for also if you use it enough.

• Like 5

Remember! Depth is only one factor in overall function! But, as always, inquiring minds want to know!!😁👍👍

With a 15 "coil, I will be strongly interested in resistance to EMI and Mineralization of the Terrain.,and weight...
I will definitely buy a new 5X10 "coil.. COILTEK ..- I really like this coil .and it will definitely be a success...I see it on a great coli..

coiltek-5-x-10-searchcoil-minelab-equinox.jpg

• Like 2

Regarding the big 15 coiltek vs 15x12 minelab coil,if the depth is the same then there is no benefit buying that with certain twice the price of minelab.If the coverage is concerning,then the 15x12 covers as much as the new 15 i think.any idea?

30 minutes ago, PPP said:

Regarding the big 15 coiltek vs 15x12 minelab coil,if the depth is the same then there is no benefit buying that with certain twice the price of minelab.If the coverage is concerning,then the 15x12 covers as much as the new 15 i think.any idea?

As stated earlier in the thread, the Coiltek 15" round coil will likely get more depth than the 15x12 Equinox coil. The relative depth of an elliptical coil such as the 15x12, is tied more closely to the width dimension (12") or overall coil footprint while the larger dimension (15") determines swing coverage.  So the the 15x12 would get depth performance similar to or slightly better than a 12" round coil vs. the Coiltek 15" coil which is likely deeper all other variables considered the same.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, trash panda said:

is the new 10x5 a double d

I know Texas Mike posted the specs confirming it's a DD, but visually you can clearly see that all have the overlapping coil center spine area, indicating all three Coilteks are DD coils.  Coaxial (elliptical) and concentric (round coils), typically do not have anything physically within the inner (receive) coil area. Just pointing this out for future reference if you see coils without posted specs, its a way to physically see the difference.

image.png.86ee148b503b34a20c52bdcec75e755b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

Well hmmmm.  I swear i read about that.  Oh well guess I could sell off the Nox15 and get Coiltek’s 15” and just have the best of both worlds without question.

With coils there are more than "2" worlds  that need to be considered.  Depth and swing coverage are indeed key, but so is weight, small target sensitivity, performance in hot ground, ability to swing side to side in constrained places, and to a lesser extent, target separation (which is mainly driven by detector recovery speed, but coil dimensions play a role in thickntarget density patches).  Finally, there is cost,  with larger coils usually costing more than smaller coils which is driven primarily by the cost of material.

In this case, weight could be an overriding concern over depth (if the 12" is considered "good enough") but you still want the 15" swing coverage.  That's where the 15x12, like most ellipticals, is a good compromise balancing depth, weight, and swing coverage.  Furthermore, in my case, in the really hot ground that dominates my detecting scenarios, the larger coils actually degrade overall performance because they "see" more ground and end up just reacting to the ground mineralization and actually reduce sensitivity to targets at depth.

All that being said, if the coil weight is not of concern, and max depth and coverage are the main drivers under nominal ground conditions, the 15" is the obvious choice over the 15x12.

• Like 2