New Equinox Coils From Coiltek

51 minutes ago, trash panda said:

overall does the vanquish have the better coils in regards to size and weight? they are well made... v8, v10, v12

I'd have taken a set of these from Minelab for the Equinox in a heartbeat. Another of life's mysteries, but it appears Minelab is on a roll with one detector, three coils, keep them separate, move on. Coils have bit them in the posterior one time too many I think.

I've consolidated a few posters who are doing one line per post by merging them into a single post, hope people are ok with that. Lots of people read on a phone and it helps them. I never change the content, and am only consolidating it. :smile:

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I can see some applications for the 14x9 in beach/water or sparse target flat land areas

I agree that the 14x9 looks good for water work, but at 880 grams for its footprint (20 g greater than the 15 inch coiltek round and 220 g greater than the 15x12), that sucker is looking like that boat anchor 15" first texas coil that was released for the the F75 and T2.  Can't imagine swinging that around on land.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, trash panda said:

hoping for improved version of their own 11"

Coil ear improvement, perhaps a further improvement/tweak to the Equinox rod and stem system, and perhaps some improved watertight integrity for the control head would be welcome tweaks to the Equinox line, especially considering the imminent Equinox price hike.  Though ML could easily justify the minor price hike incorporating and announcing such tweaks and soften the PR backlash, it probably won't happen because: 1) the Equinox will still sell like hotcakes regardless and 2) you open up the possibility of existing users requesting these "improvements" under existing warranty conditions which can get sticky.  I could be mistaken, but I have never seen ML release an upgrade to an existing coil design, so it is unlikely going to happen at this point.  In short: don't hold your breath.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Coil ear improvement, perhaps a further improvement/tweak to the Equinox rod and stem system, and perhaps some improved watertight integrity for the control head would be welcome tweaks to the Equinox line, especially considering the imminent Equinox price hike.  Though ML could easily justify the minor price hike incorporating and announcing such tweaks and soften the PR backlash, it probably won't happen because: 1) the Equinox will still sell like hotcakes regardless and 2) you open up the possibility of existing users requesting these "improvements" under existing warranty conditions which can get sticky.  I could be mistaken, but I have never seen ML release an upgrade to an existing coil design, so it is unlikely going to happen at this point.

i hear you. what i meant and should have said was a coiltek 11" upgrade version

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Coil ear improvement, perhaps a further improvement/tweak to the Equinox rod and stem system, and perhaps some improved watertight integrity for the control head would be welcome tweaks to the Equinox line, especially considering the imminent Equinox price hike.  Though ML could easily justify the minor price hike incorporating and announcing such tweaks and soften the PR backlash, it probably won't happen because: 1) the Equinox will still sell like hotcakes regardless and 2) you open up the possibility of existing users requesting these "improvements" under existing warranty conditions which can get sticky.  I could be mistaken, but I have never seen ML release an upgrade to an existing coil design, so it is unlikely going to happen at this point.  In short: don't hold your breath.

In general all metal detector manufacturers address stuff like this quietly. As in not at all in any public way. They just slip the fixes in and move on. Making a fuss about "we fixed that" is aiming a gun at their own head in some ways. There was never an explicit rod fix announcement, it just quietly happened. Coil ears, waterproofing, of course they are looking. It's costing them warranty claims, and warranty claims are a feedback loop into accounting, and back to engineering. It's either worth the cost, or not. We do not know the numbers, so what we think needs to be done based on internet posts, and what they see based on warranty claim costs may be two different things. Business owners get it. I quote the bottom line a lot because that is what rules in my business life.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Steve Herschbach said:

In general all metal detector manufacturers address stuff like this quietly. As in not as all in any public way. They just slip the fixes in and move on. Making a fuss about "we fixed that" is aiming a gun at their own head in some ways. There was never an explicit rod fix announcement, it just quietly happened. Coil ears, waterproofing, of course they are looking. It's costing them warranty claims, and warranty claims are a feedback loop into accounting and back to engineering. It's either worth the cost, or not. We do not know the numbers, so what we think needs to be done based on internet posts and what they see based on warranty claims costs may be two different things. Business owners get it.

thank you Steve, i am learning a lot. i appreciate and value your knowledge and patients

• Thanks 1