New Equinox Coils From Coiltek

13 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

I am really curious how the 15" will be compared to the 15 x 12 for beach detecting.  That is really all I use the 15 x 12 for and it sure gets tiring swinging that all day and in the shallow water.  I still use the Excal for chest water (10").  I only get to water/beach hunt though for 2-3 weeks out of the year when I visit my folks in FL.  Still looking for the TC Spanish Real! 😁

It will be deeper unless the mineralization is high enough, in which case they will be a match, unless the mineralization is really high, in which case it may get less depth. Anyone speaking in absolutes on coils ignores that the ground rules everything, not the coil per se. In this ground a coil is great. In this other ground it sucks. All these internet battles and tests are generally based on the false premise that we all are hunting the same ground, and we are not. Unless you know your ground well coils can be a bit of a crap shoot. Long story short I get coils I think will help me, but I do not obsess over depth. For me it is more about space requirements.

For a huge beach or a massive farm field, I'm using the 12x15, period. Two weeks in the UK, it never came off the machine. I'm covering ground. I love that coil, while others have no use for it. If I went to Alaska to hunt tailing piles, it would be 12x15 all the way.

Nugget detecting, coils need to go where I want them to, while getting coverage. The elliptical fills a needed niche for that reason.

That's generally why I buy coils, and for overall depth on all targets under all conditions, I usually use the stock coil. They do not choose them by accident, you know. :smile:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jackpine said:

The DD diagram has to be taken with a grain of salt IMO.  On deeper targets they are most sensitive in the middle of the coil just like a concentric.  Anyone that thinks differently is wrong and missing a ton of targets if they don't use a proper overlap as you would with the concentric.    

Agree, but to be clear, as Steve commented earlier, I only provided the diagram to illustrate the basics to someone on how to visually identify if a coil is DD or concentric based on a question that was asked regarding whether the Coiltek coils were DD.   I was not referencing the simplified detection patterns of concentrics vs. DD's in the diagram at all.  We can talk about edge sensitivity too, but that was not why I pulled up the diagram as that was way beyond the scope of why I included it in my post.  

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 9:54 AM, Chase Goldman said:

I could be mistaken, but I have never seen ML release an upgrade to an existing coil design

When I bought my Explorer SE back in 2007, that machine came stock with what Minelab called their 11” (or maybe it was 10” ?) Slimline coil.....that coil was a “piece of crap” compared to the Explorer II’s 1050 coil. When I ordered a 1050 coil for my Explorer, it was a big upgrade....more stability and depth and less falsing on mineralized ground on turf and sand/salt environments....I believe Minelab admitted later on that those slimline coils had design flaws....I don’t remember the following timeline exactly, but when ML released the Etrac with their new Pro coil (or shortly before), they immediately replaced the slimline coils on the original Explorer SE’s and renamed the machine an SE Pro.  When the Pro coils became available, I upgraded my 1050 coil for the new Pro coil and that was the coil I hunted with for the proceeding years I used my SE...The Pro coil was a great ML coil, and miles better than their original slimline coil for the Explorer SE series.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Raphis said:

When I bought my Explorer SE back in 2007, that machine came stock with what Minelab called their 11” (or maybe it was 10” ?) Slimline coil.....that coil was a “piece of crap” compared to the Explorer II’s 1050 coil. When I ordered a 1050 coil for my Explorer, it was a big upgrade....more stability and depth and less falsing on mineralized ground on turf and sand/salt environments....I believe Minelab admitted later on that those slimline coils had design flaws....I don’t remember the following timeline exactly, but when ML released the Etrac with their new Pro coil (or shortly before), they immediately replaced the slimline coils on the original Explorer SE’s and renamed the machine an SE Pro.  When the Pro coils became available, I upgraded my 1050 coil for the new Pro coil and that was the coil I hunted with for the proceeding years I used my SE...The Pro coil was a great ML coil, and miles better than their original slimline coil for the Explorer SE series.

Hi Raphis.Are you able to keep up with your buddy  Jamflicker and his FBS machine vs. your Nox.He seems  to be doing  good and has more years on that machine?

53 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

Hi Raphis.Are you able to keep up with your buddy  Jamflicker and his FBS machine vs. your Nox.He seems  to be doing  good and has more years on that machine?

I never used an Etrac, but Jam and I have hunted together for many years now.  He has about 30+ less years hunting experience than I do, but it doesn’t show much.  He knows his Etrac as well as anyone I know.  When I used my SE while hunting with him, we always were able to hear each other’s deepie signals. After I got the Nox 800, there were a couple tough, one way deepies that Jam had difficulty hearing, but most of my Nox signals were heard by him....

• Thanks 1