New Equinox Coils From Coiltek

image.thumb.jpg.21461b228d4ec72f2b81d24457b912fb.jpgAs I stated recently in a different thread, I want to recommend something to ease the swinging burden of nose heavy big coils. Start with a unit like docs detector buddy, or get a 2” wide strap make a foot long loop at one end which arm goes through. The other end goes around shoulders and stops about a foot above detector arm cuff. Now add an 8” or so length of elastic or thin bungee to the strap end. Put  attach a hook at end of elastic with zip tie. Add a U-hook to center of arm cuff strap with zip ties. Now just Adjust the strap length until when hooked up the coil is suspended by the elastic 2” above the floor. Now the detector and coil will seem weightless. Attaching at the cuff strap provides perfect up-lift in line with axis of your arm, unlike when the strap attaches to the shaft or handle, which demands wrist correction and effort. 
   By using a hook the detector can be detached easily for target digging.  

image.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/13/2021 at 2:36 PM, Rick N. MI said:

I've heard Coiltek is going to make the 14x9 coil lighter. I'm interested in that one but if it's to heavy then I'll pass on it.

You probably heard from youtube... I saw a video from a guy wearing a Minelab cap saying that... if i remember correctly,  on his background he had some look like pink curtains...  it's not true.

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 11:25 AM, afreakofnature said:

I am really curious how the 15" will be compared to the 15 x 12 for beach detecting.  That is really all I use the 15 x 12 for and it sure gets tiring swinging that all day and in the shallow water.  I still use the Excal for chest water (10").  I only get to water/beach hunt though for 2-3 weeks out of the year when I visit my folks in FL.  Still looking for the TC Spanish Real! 😁

I too am quite interested in how the ML 15x12 holds up in comparison to the Coiltek 15

• 6 months later...

Well, by now the jury should be out on these coils....

I have the 10x5" and find it beneficial, while the Minelab 6" has the depth advantage on tiny gold it's only at the very center of the 6" coil where as the 10x5" has the hot nose so getting gold in areas with a lot of obstacles gives the 10x5" the edge as you can't get the center of the 6" coil up against a rock to get the gold right next to it where as those nose of the 10x5" can get it.   I've not bothered using it in a coin hunting situation as I don't hunt junky ground so it'd be of no benefit for me when all I desire is maximum depth.

As for the other two sizes I'm not so sure, I know a guy with the 14x9" Coiltek and he said it's got less depth than the 11" stock coil which I guess you'd expect, and it's heavier than the 15x12" ML coil by a significant amount.  I'm struggling to see where this coil would provide a benefit? Maybe in the water the weight wouldn't be an issue but still, what benefit would it provide over the Minelab coils?   He's now got it for sale for a significant reduction on the price he paid new for it... I so far can't justify buying it.

The 15" Coiltek has a little more appeal to me as I want maximum depth but reading around I've not found people claiming it to be a depth demon, I've only read it's comparable to the 15x12" Minelab coil.  Has anyone got it that actually finds it deeper?

Coiltek claim demand for these coils is massive, and they can't keep up saying orders for them are months on backorder.  To me this seems unrealistic other than for the 10x5" coil but it seems more like they just can't produce a large number of coils being a smaller sort of business and when you make coils for the worlds most popular VLF detector you have to expect sales numbers would exceed their production capacity.   Sure the 10x5" is popular, but the others I can barely find anyone using, certainly no one is posting about their experiences with them other than promotional people Coiltek are using for marketing.

So I'm chasing feedback from anyone that owns the 14x9" or 15", are they worth it? Should I pick up the cheap 14x9" my friend doesn't want, should I just buy the 15"?

The coils are massively overpriced in NZ with the 15" Nox coil costing about half the price of a new Nox 600 and costing over $100 more than the 15x12" ML coil for the 15" Coiltek so it's hard to justify their high pricing.

• Like 3

I like the 5 x 10 and it took me quite a while to get ahold of one. I've been using it at ghost towns and with the right settings it does pretty good.

I had the 15" and didn't care for it. Too heavy and no depth advantage over the 11". I have mineralized soil though and  big coils often times result in little to no depth advantage here.

Can't see any point in the 9x14 especially if it weighs more than the 12x15 coil.

So for me it's the 6, 5x10 and 11" if I need more depth I just grab a PI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I bought the 15" Coiltek a few months ago used, for the beaches this winter! Only tried it out in the hot weather twice, and it is heavier! But I only had the stock 11" and didn't want any more coil tab issues🤞🤞, so I waited for a used Coiltek to come up! I've since built my counterweight to compensate for it, so we will see in a month or two, how it does on extended hunts!

But so far, I like it's coverage! And it also gets tiny targets, the same as the stock 11"! Had i more trust with ML's coil tabs, I would have had their 12x15 already! Also, got a 5x10 Coiltek on backorder, as I don't expect any used ones turning up for a long time!!👍👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

But just to clarify, if not for the coil tabs issues, I would probably go for ML's 12x15 due to a better shape, lighter weight(as I recall), and most likely cheaper price!!👍👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, phrunt said:

I know a guy with the 14x9" Coiltek and he said it's got less depth than the 11" stock coil which I guess you'd expect, and it's heavier than the 15x12" ML coil by a significant amount.  I'm struggling to see where this coil would provide a benefit? Maybe in the water the weight wouldn't be an issue but still, what benefit would it provide over the Minelab coils?

I'm pretty sure Coiltek made this coil for water use.  Besides the downward force of gravity, a coil in the water is subject to an upward buoyant force (see Archimedes' Principle) which is proportional to the internal volume of the coil.  (Think about the extreme of a closed coil vs. an open coil of the same diameter and windings -- definitely prefer the open coil when water detecting!)  Not only does a heavier coil help offset the buoyant (upward) force but it also provides inertia against water currents from waves, undertoe, etc.  The downside is that the coil still needs to be swung by the detectorist so more effort is required in that respect, not to discount the fluid dynamic drag the water provides, requiring even more effort.  Now you know why Popeye the Detector Man had such huge forearms and ate so much spinach.  :biggrin:

In an air test the Coiltek 9"x14" coil should perform about equally to the 11" stock in terms of max detection distance.  (I say that based upon a relationship I determined experimentally and posted here a while back, that the depth in air is proportional to the square root of the product of the length of the coil's two axes.)  As Abenson points out, in the field the effects of ground mineralization, even moderate amounts, will lead to performance degradation and that may not (and probably doesn't) track according to this simple relationship.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, phrunt said:

As for the other two sizes I'm not so sure, I know a guy with the 14x9" Coiltek and he said it's got less depth than the 11" stock coil which I guess you'd expect, and it's heavier than the 15x12" ML coil by a significant amount.  I'm struggling to see where this coil would provide a benefit? Maybe in the water the weight wouldn't be an issue but still, what benefit would it provide over the Minelab coils?

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'm pretty sure Coiltek made this coil for water use. 

I pointed this out earlier.  No need to speculate on the reason for the weight of the 9x14, the Coiltek site states right on their Nox coil page:

"The 14 x 9 NOX coil is the ideal weighted coil for beach hunting."

Coiltek says "beach hunting" but I'm certain that they mean water hunting.

I love the 5x10, but I personally have no use for the other two coils.  14x9 is too heavy for land use.  15" is too heavy to justify the minimal performance gain and I can get equivalent swing coverage from the ML 12x15 with much less weight and a miniscule delta in depth.  Money down the drain AFAIC.

• Like 4