• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looking good! 👍🏼 Coiltek Search Coils for Minelab Equinox

I just doubled down on my order, as I now see they adjusted the price more accordingly. I feel the 10" ellip and the 15" round will be my own 2 that gets used most.  Can't wait to get back into s

The 5x10 is an addition for sure. The others are more debatable. I think you are seeing the same thing everyone is. Very niche type stuff, whereas I think the 5x10 will sell in droves. Nugget hunters

Posted Images

On 2/1/2021 at 1:41 PM, Rick N. MI said:

The 14"x9" coil weighs 72.5% more than the 11" coil. What will that do to the balance? I need to see some reviews on this one before I would get one. It just doesn't seem like it could work well. I could be wrong. 

I agree Rick.

For what it is worth, I ballparked the weight difference over the stock 11 inch coil of the 14x9 to be close to a full 12oz. can of soda. So guess I will velcro a can to the shaft with my 11in coil to get a rough idea of how it swings.

I think coiltek is missing market share on non water hunters that will not buy a heavier coil. Just my 2 cents. 

Sent coiltek this question,  but those of you who are testers will carry more influence.

On 2/5/2021 at 10:03 PM, FloridaSon said:

I agree Rick.

For what it is worth, I ballparked the weight difference over the stock 11 inch coil of the 14x9 to be close to a full 12oz. can of soda. So guess I will velcro a can to the shaft with my 11in coil to get a rough idea of how it swings.

I think coiltek is missing market share on non water hunters that will not buy a heavier coil. Just my 2 cents. 

Sent coiltek this question,  but those of you who are testers will carry more influence.

Agree. When I saw 14x9 I thought "you beauty" for tighter gold areas. Such a disappointment.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

I've heard Coiltek is going to make the 14x9 coil lighter. I'm interested in that one but if it's to heavy then I'll pass on it.

Rick, do you have a source (e.g., coiltek posted info, coiltek rep, facebook group, another forum, dealer, idle chatter amongst detectorists) - not asking for naming names, just how far down the telephone game chain the information is coming from.  I've "heard" a lot of things too.  But like to generally post verified facts or simply speculate out loud and make it clear I am just hoping and dreaming.

• Like 1

Hate to be the bearer of bad news. I emailed Coiltek about the weight and this was the courteous response: (of course if enough of us ask, who knows?)

“On Feb 8, 2021, at 5:59 PM, CTMEnquiry <CTMEnquiry@coiltek.com.au> wrote:
Hi and thank you for the email.
I can appreciate your comments however the nature of the coil design does not allow for too much more weight to reduce. We are doing all we can to get the weight off without compromising quality or performance.
We know this coil may not have the sales like the other two due to the weight but it will most certainly have its place.
I would actually recommend the 15" round coil for dry and wet sand hunting as it will go deeper and cover slightly more ground.
All the best to you and your detecting
Regards,
Trevor Ferraresso
Sales & Business Development Manager”
  • Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

I want it for lake hunting but I'll pass on it if it's to heavy. It shouldn't be much heavier than the 11" coil. Unfortunately it probably will be. The 11" coil goes fine in the water without being heavier.

I do quite a bit of water hunting each time I get to MX, Bahamas and HI.  I have used larger coils and do get better depth for the heavy gold or platinum rings.  But the weight of the coil in water is not an issue.  We can all move heavier objects in water than on land and I can move a heavy coil in water easier than on land just as well.  One thing to mention most don't realize, unless they do it.  The heavier coil does not get tossed around in the moving surf as easy as a lighter coil and the heavier coil seems to snug the bottom better, allowing for best depth.

These pics were of me using the 14x9" coil for the CTX 3030 on a MX hunt a few years back.  

On a side note, I agree with Trevor.  If you want best depth. then go the lighter 15" round coil.

Just so those who don't know, I have all 3 versions on order and waiting for them to arrive.

AllCoil3.jpg

AllCoil2.jpg

AllCoil1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 1
9 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I do quite a bit of water hunting each time I get to MX, Bahamas and HI.  I have used larger coils and do get better depth for the heavy gold or platinum rings.  But the weight of the coil in water is not an issue.  We can all move heavier objects in water than on land and I can move a heavy coil in water easier than on land just as well.  One thing to mention most don't realize, unless they do it.  The heavier coil does not get tossed around in the moving surf as easy as a lighter coil and the heavier coil seems to snug the bottom better, allowing for best depth.

These pics were of me using the 14x9" coil for the CTX 3030 on a MX hunt a few years back.  

On a side note, I agree with Trevor.  If you want best depth. then go the lighter 15" round coil.

Just so those who don't know, I have all 3 versions on order and waiting for them to arrive.

AllCoil3.jpg

AllCoil2.jpg

AllCoil1.jpg

Hi  Jerry.Are the ears  on the  Coiltech   coils  better then the Minelab ones.A 15 inch coil will be nose heavy and you want stronger ears.My  x-terra coil broke it's ears in a year and a half of use because it was nose heavy and the ears were weak (10'' 7.5 kz dd coil.)