New Equinox Coils From Coiltek

4 hours ago, NCtoad said:

I really don’t see much advantage to any of these new coils over the stock coils.  I can understand gold hunters embracing the 5x10 for more coverage while keeping a high sensitivity to small gold.  I really don’t see any advantage of the 9x14 over the 11” stock.  Most likely less depth with 3” more coverage.  Maybe it’s more aqua dynamic (is that even a term? Lol) than the stock 11” for water hunters.  I can see a use for the round 15” though.  More depth and more coverage than the 11” and more depth than the 12x15 stock coil.  I can see it’s advantage in wide open plowed fields. Am I being a debbie downer on these new coils?  Lol

The 5x10 is an addition for sure. The others are more debatable. I think you are seeing the same thing everyone is. Very niche type stuff, whereas I think the 5x10 will sell in droves. Nugget hunters and jewelry hunters especially, but even coin and relic hunters who just can’t go to 6” round as too tiny, but who do want something smaller than the stock coil.

The 9x14 is so much heavier than the stock coil for little promise of depth gain, it seems to me that it is a water coil. An alternative to the stock coil for water hunters, depth about the same, a little more coverage, center mount and heavier will probably play well underwater, and perhaps a stronger coil, less prone to ear breaks? The history of the CTX version may provide insight, since that is where the mold came from. Anyone on their third stock coil will look at these. Just my take. For dry land I’ll pass due to the weight.

The 15” round is just for those in milder ground seeking the last extra inch. I really like the Minelab 12x15 coil though, so I’m good there.

coiltek-searcj-coils-for-minelab-equinox.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

My situation is all i have is the stock 11" coil! Of which #3 will soon be on it's way back to me brand new! I held off buying others due to the coil tab issues!

So, should i just sell the new Nox coil when it arrives? And just buy two or three of the coiltec's?

That's sort of the way I'm leaning at this point! And there is the one year warranty difference between brands to consider!

Any thoughts? 👍👍

My thought is that the Equinox appears to be performance optimized to the 11" coil, FWIW

• Like 7

overall does the vanquish have the better coils in regards to size and weight? they are well made... v8, v10, v12

• Like 1

Nice set of coils for the Equinox especially the 10X5. The basic plastic framework already existed via Coiltek's CTX lineup except for the 10X5 being solid and not spoked. So, instead of Minelab/Coiltek making some amazing invention here, Coiltek is just using coil footprints that already existed in their plastic design stock. What exists inside the coils and cable has to be different for sure. Minelab did the same thing with the original Equinox coils which are very similar in size and shape to CTX coils.

• Like 1

I'm interested in the 10"x5" and 14" x 9" for lake hunting but how can that coil weight 880 grams.

• Like 1

i would have liked to seen the vanquish coils  v8x5, v10x7, v12 size weight and quality build for the equinox and a 11"&15" round.

i got to be honest and maybe because i am ignorant but i am disappointed with all 3 of the new coils. i guess i am the village idiot.

i will purchase the 10x5 and btw i was hoping for a new improved version of their own 11". quality build wise.

22 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

I'm interested in the 10"x5" and 14" x 9" for lake hunting but how can that coil weight 880 grams.

I confirmed based on the Coiltek literature that the 14x9 was intentionally weighted down for "beach" work, meaning submerged water duty, just as Steve surmised above.

From the Coiltek website: "The 14 x 9 NOX coil is the ideal weighted coil for beach hunting."

https://coiltek.com.au/coils/nox/

• Like 3

I am very exited about the 10X5, I can see some applications for the 14x9 in beach/water or sparse target flat land areas, but I have no use for the 15" coil just like I have no use the the stock 15X12 Minelab coil for the Equinox.

The times that I have owned and used Coiltek coils for the Minelab X-Terra 705 and for the GPX series PI detectors, the Coiltek coils have been more sensitive than the original Minelab coils in every case. So, comparing the standard Minelab Commander coils for instance to the Coiltek Elite and Extreme series for my GP3500 and GPX4800 I would pick the Coitek coils over the stock Minelab coils every time.

So, maybe the new Equinox Coiltek coils will not only be more stronger and durable on the outside, but hopefully more sensitive too. That would be quite an achievement as far as sensitivity since the Minelab stock coils are already amazing.

• Like 5