New Equinox Coils From Coiltek

18 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

In general all metal detector manufacturers address stuff like this quietly. As in not as all in any public way. They just slip the fixes in and move on. Making a fuss about "we fixed that" is aiming a gun at their own head in some ways. There was never an explicit rod fix announcement, it just quietly happened. Coil ears, waterproofing, of course they are looking. It's costing them warranty claims, and warranty claims are a feedback loop into accounting and back to engineering. It's either worth the cost, or not. We do not know the numbers, so what we think needs to be done based on internet posts and what they see based on warranty claims costs may be two different things. Business owners get it.

Agree, I didn't go deep into it, but I assumed they've done all the math and made the appropriate investments in the design and manufacturing lines etc. based on the historical failure rate percentages and the price hike factors into that as well as future repairs etc,. that going public would be a bad move because the downside would exceed the upside.  In fact, I suspect that they will also quietly "extend" warranty coverage as necessary on a case basis for the flooded control heads and broken coil ears just to keep frustration from bubbling up to the surface (i.e., becoming public) after the warranties start expiring.  The only thing that makes me wonder if they've addressed the issues, even quietly, is the number of repeat failures seen with those control heads, years after the intitial release.  The control heads in the repair shops would presumably be refreshed with the "new design" at some point, yet I know of multiple folks who have suffered control multiple control head failures due to water ingress even recently.  They probably are just rolling with the existing design based on low failure rate (further driven by the low percentage of users who are actually submerging their Equinoxes).  Who knows...but the fact is that the Equinox is teflon to bad press.  ML has a proven sales winner with great performance despite these other minor flaws and ML figure they can recoup with a price hike without affecting sales.  That is a great position to be in from a business perspective.

• Like 4

I know you guy's (Chase, Steve, GB, and others) have covered the above item's several times before! But because the Equinox is so popular, they bear repeating from time to time for the newer, and forgetful (sometimes me) forum members! 

Thanks All!👍👍

• Like 2

The 14"x9" coil weighs 72.5% more than the 11" coil. What will that do to the balance? I need to see some reviews on this one before I would get one. It just doesn't seem like it could work well. I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

In our mild dirt/sand down here there are places I’ve found plenty of fringe depth coins(10”+) that you really had to be going slow to hear.  I may be tempted to try the 15” and see if it offers any extra punch.  I’ll have to wager the cost versus the reports when they finally hit the streets though.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

The 14"x9" coil weighs 72.5% more than the 11" coil. What will that do to the balance? I need to see some reviews on this one before I would get one. It just doesn't seem like it could work well. I could be wrong. 

It's been mentioned earlier in this thread that this coil is meant primarily for water immersion detecting.  But the 15" is listed at 836 g (no cover attached?) compared to the ML 12"x15" at 674 g (my measurement that includes the cover).  I have a Coiltek 15" for my X-Terra (864 g w/cover) and a NEL Attack for my Gold Bug Pro (819 g w/cover) and have to agree that those really make my detectors toe heavy to the point is distraction.  BTW, the new NOX (hate that name!) 15" from Coiltek looks like the identical housing (except for color) as my X-Terra coil.

• Like 1

I'm still really interested in the 14"x9" for the lakes and will give it try anyway. It might go a little deeper than the 11" coil. So the 14x9 coil would be about equal to an 11.5 to 12" round coil. Being narrow should help in the water and the extra coverage. I would like to see Nel coils for the Equonox. The Superfly would be a nice coil for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick N. MI said:

Though the 14 x 9 depth performance should be about the same and coverage better than the 11" round (though the Equinox appears to be optimized around the 11" coil), it will be a bear to use on land, weight-wise.  As noted before, the extra weight was added by design for water hunters.  All things considered, I would skip this coil if planning to use it solely for land use.

37 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said: I'm still really interested in the 14"x9" for the lakes and will give it try anyway. It might go a little deeper than the 11" coil. So the 14x9 coil would be about equal to an 11.5 to 12" round coil. Being narrow should help in the water and the extra coverage. I would like to see Nel coils for the Equonox. The Superfly would be a nice coil for it.

Should be a good choice for water provided it will squeeze that extra inch or so over the 11"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I am very exited about the 10X5, I can see some applications for the 14x9 in beach/water or sparse target flat land areas, but I have no use for the 15" coil just like I have no use the the stock 15X12 Minelab coil for the Equinox.

The times that I have owned and used Coiltek coils for the Minelab X-Terra 705 and for the GPX series PI detectors, the Coiltek coils have been more sensitive than the original Minelab coils in every case. So, comparing the standard Minelab Commander coils for instance to the Coiltek Elite and Extreme series for my GP3500 and GPX4800 I would pick the Coitek coils over the stock Minelab coils every time.

So, maybe the new Equinox Coiltek coils will not only be more stronger and durable on the outside, but hopefully more sensitive too. That would be quite an achievement as far as sensitivity since the Minelab stock coils are already amazing.

Hi  Jeff. What coiltech coil did you use for the x-terra and how did it  do for you ?Also imagine if the 5 by 10 is even more sensitive    then the 6''coil. That would be something .

The new  15'' coil in 4kz. might be a  very deep combo in good dirt.I remember one person  saying he got  more depth on silver with his  15''  3kz. coil for his x-terra then he got with the 13by17'' coil for his Ctx.I had a  faulty 13'' nel tornado in 7.5 kz for only 2 weeks and it got me the   deepest   wheatie  I ever dug in the turf  with my x-terra 70  . I heard that the Mars  coils were also very deep  for the X-terra.