Is Gold Bug 2 Capable Of More Depth?

I will be retiring in the coming months and am preparing to get back into prospecting. My plan is to go "high tech".  My view is that I may want a VLF to search for small targets then switch to a PI to punch down deeper for any other potential targets over the same area.   I'm leaning strongly toward the Gold Bug 2 for my first detector. I understand after doing some research and watching a bunch of videos on YouTube that the GB2 really  excels at recovering small gold.

My question is,  considering it's operating frequency, what kind of depth is possible with the GB2 and considering ground mineralization?

• 1 month later...

Being a data-junkie sorta guy I put together the attached comparisons for my GB2 versus my ATX. Hope it helps. I think the "Buried" data is the most useful. The rig is a PVC conduit pipe buried at a 1:10 slope in slightly iron-stained dry quartz sand. I push nuggets down it until I achieve whatever threshold signal I'm looking for. The depth is a tenth of the distance down pipe.

I bought the ATX because it's cheaper than a Minelab and I was really surprised that the ATX really didn't give me more depth than the GB2 but I was a newbie on the ATX when I did all this. In the field I've yet to find something with the ATX that the GB2 doesn't sound off on too. That may be because conditions are perfect for the GB2, low mineralization and dry as dust. Where the ATX scores is over hot rocks (siltstone with magnetite) and in rare clay patches that the GB2 hates. It also covers more ground per swing than the GB2. The downside of ATX is the weight, the weight and the weight!

Detector Comparisons.xls

• Like 2