1 hour ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Crazy thing is my input has to be totally unbiased when giving feedback to ML

People don't get it. No manufacturer with brains needs yes men. I'm not all that smart on inner workings. My value comes more from my big picture view of a detector and my feel for running them. I have a reputation for many things, some deserved, some not. The one they like is informed honesty. Telling it like it is in a matter of fact way is my thing. I have no doubt I bruise some egos at times, not through trying, but because the things I am giving feedback on are somebodies heart and soul works. I am truly sorry when that happens, but business is business. I suspect compared to JP that I am who they'd rather talk to at times! :laugh:

1 hour ago, Jonathan Porter said:

While we were all laughing and chatting this guy I had never met before came up and barged into the middle of our group without even introducing himself and accosted me saying in a big booming voice “All that gold you showed off in your second video, you never got that all in one season, I call BS!!!”.

That was truly stunning. As in we are all just so caught off guard you can only stare. You do not do that here, as you never know who is packing, and next thing you have a gun in your face. That's how bad it was. I was both taken aback, but also impressed that you did not deck the guy then and there.

• Like 1

A well run forum like this with all the information that is to found here is a real pleasure to spend time in absorbing all i can to use out in the gold fields doing what i like, So all i can say is Keep doing what you are doing Steve.

• Thanks 1

Truth be told, Aussies practice a form of tribal manliness that is hard for me to catch the nuance of. It's like those barroom scenes where everyone has a fist fight, then dusts themselves off for a round of beer and camaraderie. A lot of the online banter I found seems horrible, but once people perceive you are real instead of fake, all the sudden a bunch of softies appear. I find it all confusing and hard to tell what is a real fight, and what is just blokes smashing chairs over heads for fun. It seems to me things begun in jest often go sideways, so I avoid that sort of thing. When both cultures mix, as happens on this forum, we have mixed signals, that lead to accidental misreading's of what's really going on.

Here at least, it is best to assume people meant no harm. I need to remember that more myself. :smile:

barroom_blitz_6038.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I'm out of likes again Steve and JP, but i agree and value what was stated! 

I have yet to hunt for gold nuggets, but thanks to you guys,(and others here), it's definitely on my bucket list! Keep up the good work!👍👍

• Like 2

Back in the day I didn't mind a good bar fight, Sometimes you win sometimes you loose. But now being older and wiser, taught me some valuable lessons. One that your not always right and maybe there are different things that you can learn from. I was a lurker here for a few years before I joined. This is the ONLY forum I belong to. I joined because 99% of the people here are honest and willing to share information and to help with a problem. I don't do geek speak but rely on those of you that do to help me solve a problem in layman's terms. I learn from doing and making mistakes. Many dozens of members have given me tons of valuable info on settings, coil choices and finds help. For that I'm very thankful. In my 53 years I've learned that it's best to pay attention to knowledge and give it when you can and not demand that it is gospel, Also helping in a way that will allow a person to come to their own conclusions, I think you do that.  Steve I like this place for many reasons, But most of all are the great stories, info and help. But if you ever find yourself in a bar fight and need some help, I might just have one left in me Ha Ha. Keep up the good work and don't focus on the 1% of goofy.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I see this a lot especially around discussions of new detectors, the expressions of mistrust because I work with Minelab so therefore my input is null and void!

Perhaps I am a little ignorant here, but why is actually that ML is distrusted or even hated by apparently quite a few in Au (and beyond))? Shouldn't they rather all be happy about the fact that ML makes the world's best detectors which they could greatly benefit from?  What am I missing? Thanks in advance for some education on that topic 🤔 

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Truth be told, Aussies practice a form of tribal manliness that is hard for me to catch the nuance of. It's like those barroom scenes where everyone has a fist fight, then dusts themselves off for a round of beer and camaraderie.

One of the fiercest battles the US and Australian allies fought in the Pacific theatre during WW2 wasn't against the Japanese, but each other!

The "Battle of Brisbane" Is a good illustration of what Steve describes above. Fought over several days, It resulted in one mortality and many serious gunshot injuries. Brisbane had become General Macarthur's Pacific Headquarters at that stage of the war.

According to an eyewitness, US sergeant Bill Bentson: "The Americans had the chocolates, the ice-cream, the silk stockings and the dollars. They were able to show the girls a good time, and the Australians became very resentful about the fact that they'd lost control of their own city"

After a second fierce night of beatings, arrests and burnt buildings,  Bentson later recounted: 

"But after that, it sort of settled down and you go into a pub and an Aussie would come and up and slap me on the back. "Oh, wasn't that a good ruckus we had the other night? And have a beer on me."

For a warts and all account: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Brisbane The article helps explain the complex relationship Yanks and Aussies still share. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

Perhaps I am a little ignorant here, but why is actually that ML is distrusted or even hated by apparently quite a few in Au (and beyond))? Shouldn't they rather all be happy about the fact that ML makes the world's best detectors which they could greatly benefit from?  What am I missing? Thanks in advance for some education on that topic 🤔 

You would think so, right? Welcome to Tall Poppy Syndrome.

Tall Poppy Syndrome is real, and it is destructive. JP neatly described how it makes him feel, and the same thing tears up workplaces in places like Oz and Canada. Here we worship success to an unseemly degree, there they want to pull the successful down, and again overdo it. Another example of opposite mindsets between cultures, and from my perch, I'd say we'd all be better off somewhere in the middle.

Note the drivers - envy, sexism, and a lack of confidence on the part of the perpetrators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome

https://www.hcamag.com/au/news/general/tall-poppy-syndrome-the-office-trend-killing-morale/168793

and finally, how to deal with Tall Poppy Syndrome

tall-poppy-syndrome.jpg

tall-poppy-syndrome-2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Steve, very interesting phenomenon and troubling at the same time. I always appreciate greatness and find it inspirational. And combined with humbleness this makes a perfect mix. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Truth be told, Aussies practice a form of tribal manliness that is hard for me to catch the nuance of. It's like those barroom scenes where everyone has a fist fight, then dusts themselves off for a round of beer and camaraderie. A lot of the online banter I found seems horrible, but once people perceive you are real instead of fake, all the sudden a bunch of softies appear. I find it all confusing and hard to tell what is a real fight, and what is just blokes smashing chairs over heads for fun. It seems to me things begun in jest often go sideways, so I avoid that sort of thing. When both cultures mix, as happens on this forum, we have mixed signals, that lead to accidental misreading's of what's really going on.

Here at least, it is best to assume people meant no harm. I need to remember that more myself. :smile:

barroom_blitz_6038.jpg

You will find when you get to know more Aussies, we are like other societies, we have our passivists, our narcissist's, our bullies, our jealous ones, our achievers, tall poppy knockers etc etc, and sure you get the image from your short view that we speak out, have a brawl and then drink together, personally I prefer to speak out directly when I perceive an injustice rather than bottle it up. We are just huuuumans like all other human societies with cultural differences that varies from State to State as I note you folks vary from State to State. Gold does bring out the worst as well as the best in huuuumans. I have noted as JP has when showing off gold a lot react jealously immediately, you just learn wisely with age not to show off gold, but that all is part of our crazy hobby.

• Like 4